Whole30 with Dysautonomia/NCS and hypotension

Hi Everyone,

I'm preparing to do a February Whole 30 - Jan 31- Feb 29.  I have been diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope and have low blood pressure.  I'm concerned about getting enough salt and electrolytes while on the diet.  Currently I take .10mg of Florinef, which helps my kidneys keep extra salt and water in me, so that I don't faint, although at times I can still feel very lightheaded/short of breath.  This medication as a side effect can lower my potassium, so I need to make sure I'm getting plently in my diet.  At my doctors' request I have upped my salt intake and drink at least one 20-oz Gatorade (usually the low-calorie G2), sometimes two, and lots of water, to maintain my salt and electrolyte levels.  My questions are,  Does anyone else have experience with a whole 30 and this condition, and also, what is whole30 compliant that I can substitute for my Gatorade intake? 

Banana is also a high potassium fruit.

Easy sodium boosters are hot sauces like Franks Hot Sauce or Louisiana hot sauce (check labels to make sure they're compliant), no Gatorade required.

You may need some extra magnesium too, as potassium, sodium and magnesium require a balance (cramping can be a sign your balance is off).

Make sure you're getting plenty of fluids as dehydration makes low blood pressure worse.

Check with your doctor whether it's okay for your particular circumstances, but coffee can give a mild increase in blood pressure (don't go nuts with it).

Natural mineral waters (not all brands are equal) contain sodium and other trace elements.

I have POTS syndrome and have been told I have some type of dysautonomia related to an autoimmune disease.

I can tell you from personal experience that there is far more potassium in a pork chop than in a 32 oz Gatorade. The Gatorade just makes it more readily available to you.

I definitely recommend keeping your salt intake up, as that will her stabilize the low blood pressures, but I highly recommend the magnesium supplement as well. Potassium and magnesium are big buddies. When you are low on magnesium, it causes much more significant secretions of potassium, thus leaving you hypokalemic.

Thank you for your responses.

I can't have coffee - caffeine makes my heart race so I stick to decaf coffees and teas, and almost never pop. I also can't have alcohol for the same reason.

I suppose I am not as concerned with the potassium or magnesium (I do take a supplement, I should have mentioned) but more so the other electrolytes and salt that I get from the Gatorade. It really helps when I am feeling lightheaded. if I drink Gatorade my symptoms improve relatively quickly, more so than with water alone, and I'm concerned about not having it in my diet, and wondering if there is a compliant substitute while I'm doing whole 30.

I completely understand. Trust me, I have been there. I've literally passed out from low blood pressure and it's a miserable feeling.

When we are talking about electrolytes, we are talking about ions, with them being: sodium, potassium, magnesium and chloride. There's some trace phosphates but it's minimal.

I'm guessing the Gatorade makes you feel better quickly because it's a liquid. It gets absorbed pretty quickly and doesn't have to be broken down and absorbed into the small intestine.

I also know that Gatorade is full of junk that isn't good for our bodies.

Eating the Whole30 plan has greatly stabilized the roller coaster of blood pressure and blood sugar that I used to be on. It took a couple of weeks, but it's helped tremendously.

My best piece of advise would be to get some electrolyte tablets and keep those on hand, just in case, instead of relying on sugar filled Gatorade. Make sure you're salting your food (you can even get potassium salt at your grocery store too) and eat four meals, instead of the traditional three, to see what happens.

The best thing people with blood pressure related syncope can do, even beyond the electrolytes, is to make sure they are keeping their blood volume up via water consumption.

Best of luck to you!!!

I completely understand. Trust me, I have been there. I've literally passed out from low blood pressure and it's a miserable feeling.

When we are talking about electrolytes, we are talking about ions, with them being: sodium, potassium, magnesium and chloride. There's some trace phosphates but it's minimal.

I'm guessing the Gatorade makes you feel better quickly because it's a liquid. It gets absorbed pretty quickly and doesn't have to be broken down and absorbed into the small intestine.

I also know that Gatorade is full of junk that isn't good for our bodies.

Eating the Whole30 plan has greatly stabilized the roller coaster of blood pressure and blood sugar that I used to be on. It took a couple of weeks, but it's helped tremendously.

My best piece of advise would be to get some electrolyte tablets and keep those on hand, just in case, instead of relying on sugar filled Gatorade. Make sure you're salting your food (you can even get potassium salt at your grocery store too) and eat four meals, instead of the traditional three, to see what happens.

The best thing people with blood pressure related syncope can do, even beyond the electrolytes, is to make sure they are keeping their blood volume up via water consumption.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you Leslie, I appreciate the suggestion!  It's comforting to know that someone else understands how awful syncope can be... And I know, Gatorade can't be good for me - I want to not rely on it so much.  That's why I'm trying whole30.  I will try and find electrolyte tablets, and even the potassium salt suggested, and hopefully this diet will help me control my symptoms better.  I would love to be off of Florinef eventually.  It helps me but it makes me so puffy and full of water, and I am hoping this diet, and building muscle through exercise will help me achieve that goal. 

If you're looking for alternatives, ask your drug store or pharmacist, there are a lot of people who want electrolytes without the sugars.

Some have artificial sweeteners too, so be sure to ask about ingredients.

Sometimes the cleaner products are for kids, so don't forget to look at those ones too.

Archived