Major Screwup

Hatjuggler

Hello -

I am new to this forum, but on day 21 of my Whole30.  My daughter and I are doing it together (she's on day 28 though).  We are both doing great, and have enjoyed eating new things and feeling better.  I have not even eaten out once since starting this. I think she's eaten out twice due to unavoidable important occasions.  So yes, we are taking this seriously.

We had this major misunderstanding regarding chicken sausage.  We had bought some of the Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage at Costco (contains 3 separate packages, is Whole30 compliant). We froze 2 of the packs in our garage freezer, and she had been eating off the 3rd pkg, which we kept in our kitchen fridge.  I had noticed a couple of packages of chicken and apple sausage in the meat drawer of the fridge and assumed my daughter had bought more at the local grocery store (she loves the chicken sausage.)  So two says ago I sauteed some veggies with a couple of the latter sausages, and we ate them together.  So we each consumed 1 sausage.  Then went about our Whole30 lives, blissfully unaware of the evil that had befallen us.

The shock came today when she went to get the Aidell's sausage out of the garage freezer and realized I had not opened any more...  which led to her investigating which sausage I'd *actually* cooked...  and sadly, I had grabbed the sausage out of the kitchen fridge, which were Johnsonville brand Apple Chicken Sausage links!  I must have bought these in December and completely forgotten about them... and hadn't realized all the crap that is in them. (Chicken, water, corn syrup, and less than 2% of the following: salt, dried apples, dried cane syrup, modified food starch, potassium chloride, yeast extract, spices, natural flavors (contains maltodextrin)(milk), natural flavoring, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, collagen casings. CONTAINS MILK)  Why do they need to put all this junk in chicken sausage???

We are so bummed out.  We were already planning to expand our Whole30 into a longer time frame, like perhaps a Whole45 or Whole60.  (Not sure).  Is this an automatic reset?  Or can we move on, consciences clear from our naive mistake, with the total number of days intact that we've actually been following this program?  

*sigh*

• Moderators

This is the article we usually direct people to, so they can decide for themselves whether or not to restart.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure you go a full 30 days with no dairy before you reintroduce it, as that was definitely in your sausages. 

Also, even if you restart, I hope you realize that the time you have already spent on your W30 was not wasted. Every day that you're eating healthy food is a step in the right direction. You're definitely not the first people to have one of these oops moments -- it just serves as a reminder that even when you think you know what you're getting, you always have to read the ingredients. Even at the store, when you're buying something you've bought before, it's worth glancing over the ingredients list to be sure they haven't changed their formula.

• Moderators

Why didn't you clean out pantry and fridge before starting? As long as you extend you should be okay.

Not everyone can sanitize their cosmo of all non-compliant items... those of us that can are super lucky but are in the minority...

Sorry OP, what a disappointment... it does sound like it's not the end of the world as you said you were going to restart and it IS a good lesson that if you can't remove all non-compliant stuff, that reading the labels at the store and again before eating/cooking might be a good practice to get into...

Total bummer :(

Also, even if you restart, I hope you realize that the time you have already spent on your W30 was not wasted. Every day that you're eating healthy food is a step in the right direction. You're definitely not the first people to have one of these oops moments -- it just serves as a reminder that even when you think you know what you're getting, you always have to read the ingredients. Even at the store, when you're buying something you've bought before, it's worth glancing over the ingredients list to be sure they haven't changed their formula.

Absolutely!  I have never eaten so healthy in all my life, and it's actually been fun with the two of us tag-teaming on the cooking, researching ideas, and shopping.  You bet we will watch those labels from now on, and I don't plan on buying those sausages any more.  Thanks for the encouragement.  

Sorry OP, what a disappointment... it does sound like it's not the end of the world as you said you were going to restart and it IS a good lesson that if you can't remove all non-compliant stuff, that reading the labels at the store and again before eating/cooking might be a good practice to get into...

Total bummer 

Yes, major bummer.  I felt especially bad that my daughter was almost done with her 30, and I messed it up.  We are going to keep our original count (for our own morale), but go through February.  So technically a restart but in our minds it'll end up being a Whole60 or so.   ;)

Thanks for your empathy.  

Oh no Hatjuggler!  I can't imagine the sinking feeling of looking at that package of sausage.  My boyfriend keeps a lot of non-compliant food in our fridge and I ALWAYS double-check the label of anything I am actually cooking with.  I think you and your daughter are handling it perfectly by getting right back on the horse.  If it helps you to change your mindset of "we are still 28 days in and pushing for 60", that makes perfect sense to me and I think will still fall within the spirit of the plan, which is mostly to eliminate the allergens/sensitizing foods for 30 days straight.  Kudos to you and your daughter for pushing on.  Honest mistakes happen, and I think the only wrong decision would have been quitting altogether and going back to unhealthy eating!  

Always remember a restart is never a failure if you learn something.

Even those of us with lots of experience make mistakes sometimes, we're not robots.

Some of the stuff they put in products is just astonishing sometimes. I just want my food to be made out of food!

Hang in there and kudos to you two for doing a Whole60. Dairy can be a big trigger for many, so you may notice a difference at the end of your W60 :)

Archived