Day 24. No major positive effects, yet. Feels just like a diet....

Hi everyone,

wanted to share my experience so far and maybe get a slight boost in motivation or something....maybe just vent some frustration...I'm not quite sure :P

My GF and I have been following the program quite assiduously for the past 24 days, making sure we keep to the meal template and successfully keeping away from snacking.

In the first few days we had the expected downsides, with headaches and crankiness and so on, but I've yet to experience any real upsides.

The two minor plusses I can see so far is a slight decrease in flatulence and possibly some weightloss (not as dramatic as clothes being loose or anything though, so can't be too sure).

No feeling of heightened energy, no improved mood or anything...

I'm not having too much actual trouble resisting temptation in the form of sweets or any other food that I'm not allowed to eat at the moment, but I resent the fact that I can't just choose what I'd like to eat, and that leads to a certain moodiness most of the time. (For example when my boss's mother brought cake for everyone and I wasn't allowed any)

Additionally I'm getting kinda lethargic on occasion, to the point where I'm not interested in doing anything at all. (so kinda the opposite of heightened energy)

I don't think I'm really in danger of quitting before my 30 days (or rather 54 days) are over, but that's more due to stubbornness and pride rather than feeling that this program is having a positive effect on my life.

Well, that's it for now.

Maybe some of you will be able to boost my spirits a bit...

Cheers

First off I'd remind you that this is a 30day program and many people don't see the magic until the final week, although if Whole30 is a big shift from your old diet it may well take longer.

You say you're following the meal template rigidly and not snacking, but I'd wonder about the compostion of your meals, and in particular their fat content (needed for energy & brain health), given that you say you are feeling lethargic & moody, as well as your starchy veg content which can also impact mood.

If you could list a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with sleep/stress/activity levels we'll be better equipped to troubleshoot.

Oh forgot to mention: One strange and somewhat unpleasant effect I've been experienceing quite regularly is that I get quite a case of the burpies from most meals. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particular kind of ingredient (at least I wasn't able to find a pattern). In general, meals seem to take longer to pass through my stomach, giving them more time to "gas out" or semthing like that.

I haven't really experienced this before starting with the porgram.

Oh forgot to mention: One strange and somewhat unpleasant effect I've been experienceing quite regularly is that I get quite a case of the burpies from most meals. It doesn't seem to be tied to any particular kind of ingredient (at least I wasn't able to find a pattern). In general, meals seem to take longer to pass through my stomach, giving them more time to "gas out" or semthing like that.

I haven't really experienced this before starting with the porgram.

Again, this could be linked to WHAt you are eating - as in you may well be sensitive to something you're now eating regularly. If this IS the case that could very well impact mood & energy levels, as well as causing digestive distress....

A list of foods would be helpful.

First off I'd remind you that this is a 30day program and many people don't see the magic until the final week, although if Whole30 is a big shift from your old diet it may well take longer.

You say you're following the meal template rigidly and not snacking, but I'd wonder about the compostion of your meals, and in particular their fat content (needed for energy & brain health), given that you say you are feeling lethargic & moody, as well as your starchy veg content which can also impact mood.

If you could list a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with sleep/stress/activity levels we'll be better equipped to troubleshoot.

Ok, let me try to give you more info...

90% of the meals we cook are taken from the book, sometimes slightly modified for better taste or to suit my higher energy needs. I work at a smithy and the job is usually physically demanding, so for most meals I get some extra potato or sweet potato. Plus I stand at 192cm/6'5'' and 115kg so my body needs a bit more than the average.

I'm not terribly good at remembering normal (i.e. not "outstanding") meals, so I can't give you an exact rundown of the meals we've had recently, but I'll try to give you an outline of the usuals:

Breaksfast usually contains 3 eggs and one avocado with different vegetables each day (bell pepper, kohlrabi, tomatoes most frequently) and sometimes some fruit.

Lunch varies strongly, but it's usually something whith meat and (sweet) potatoes sometimes with a few nuts and veggies of course.

Dinner usually has a similar composition to lunch.

On average I drink somewhere around 3 litres of water a day, and somewhere between 3-6 mugs of coffe and/or tea (usually no more than 3 mugs of coffe).

On average workdays I sleep 6-6.5 hours a night. I have to get up at 4:20am, start work at 6am, get back home around 5pm, then enjoy some free time and head off to bed around 10pm. On the weekend, I tend to sleep a bit longer, maybe about 9 hours.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask if I need to clarify anything further.

Again, this could be linked to WHAt you are eating - as in you may well be sensitive to something you're now eating regularly. If this IS the case that could very well impact mood & energy levels, as well as causing digestive distress....

A list of foods would be helpful.

To be honest, there wasn't that big of a change regarding foodstuffs for us. It's more like leaving stuff out that we aren't allowed to eat at the moment.

The only things I can think of that I didn't eat as often before as I do now might be:

Avocadoes

Sweet potatoes

But even on days when I've had none of those, my stomach keeps feeling bloated.

As for a list of foods that we are eating overall, I'll try to be as accurate as possible:

sweet-/ potatoes

bell peppers

turnips

kohlrabi (cabbage turnip?)

cauliflower

leafy salads (different kinds)

tomatoes

red/green cabbage

savoy

broccoli

carrots

onions

pumpkin/squash

celery

brussles sprouts

tuna

pork

beef

chicken

turkey

almonds

walnuts

cashwes

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Ok, I don't think you're eating enough.

A serving of eggs, when they are the only source of protein in a meal should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping. I'm a 5'2" female and I can manage 3, or 4 when I'm hungry - you'd want at least 4... And that's just your breakfast.

Fruit, when eaten in the morning having fasted overnight can have a big impact on blood sugar levels, causing a slump with fatigue, lack of focus, faux hunger etc later in the day - hold any fruit (or starchy veg) until later in the day, preferably meal 3. Up the protein & fat content of your meal to get a longer lasting, sustained level of energy throughout the day - breakfast sets the standard for the rest of the day.

It's hard to tell how you're other meals are composed with your descriptions but I'd skip the nuts & opt for a superior fat source - nuts are notoriousy hard on the digestive system, have a poor omega 3:6 ratio and can be a food without brakes for many. Try home-made mayo, fatty cuts of meat, drizzles  of compliant oils etc...

If ditching the nuts doesn't improve your digestion/energy I'd look at cutting down/cutting out the sweet potatoes & avocados - they're both high FODMAP food and can be very hard on those senstive to the sugars in them. It will take a food days for your body to work through those malabsorbed sugars but the bloat will soon go.

No coffee after midday, aim for more sleep when you can, don't forget to salt your food, and ensure you're getting in that half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily, and I think you'll see things improve.

Hope this helps  :) 

Hi Kodiak Knight!

Kudos to you for reaching out. For me, shifting my mindset and using it to empower me has been the best thing for me in getting through social situations. You say that you are not having any trouble resisting certain foods, but your mind and thoughts about it are actually working against you. From a mental perspective, rather than think "I am not allowed" or "I resent the fact that I can't choose what I would like to eat," which creates a feeling resentment or lack, CHOOSE to reframe it to something like: "I am choosing to eat like this for 30 days to see if ________ is a problem for me." Or... "Isn't it interesting that I don't even want _____ right now!" - which means you are moving through the sugar or grain or dairy cravings you used to have. And rather than resent the experiment that you you have chosen to participate in, give it the full 30 days, longer if you need to, to find out what foods are optimum for you - the ones that give you energy and the positive effects you desire!!! 

Stay the course. You've got this :)

Thanks, I'll try and see if this changes anything.

I don't usually feel very hungry, though. And the meals I'm eating are quite filling, so at least I do not feel like I'm eating too little....

As for the coffee, my last coffe is usually during meal break (1pm), but I'm generally not very sensitive to caffeine. (I have no trouble going to sleep right after drinking a cup of coffee)

To be honest, there wasn't that big of a change regarding foodstuffs for us. It's more like leaving stuff out that we aren't allowed to eat at the moment.

The only things I can think of that I didn't eat as often before as I do now might be:

Avocadoes

Sweet potatoes

But even on days when I've had none of those, my stomach keeps feeling bloated.

As for a list of foods that we are eating overall, I'll try to be as accurate as possible:

sweet-/ potatoes

bell peppers

turnips

kohlrabi (cabbage turnip?)

cauliflower

leafy salads (different kinds)

tomatoes

red/green cabbage

savoy

broccoli

carrots

onions

pumpkin/squash

celery

brussles sprouts

tuna

pork

beef

chicken

turkey

almonds

walnuts

cashwes

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Since you edited your list of foods I've highlighted all the high FODMAP foods you're currently eating.

I'm not saying this IS the issue, but a combination of any of these foods, or a build up of them in the system over the course of a number of days can effect many people.

I'd look at first removing the nuts & upping the fat content in your meals & then take a closer look at FODMAPS if you see no improvement.

Archived