Running into issues at work (Day 12)

I'm a server/bartender, and I'm running into issues at work with managers and coworkers saying it's my "job" to know what off-plan foods and drinks taste like (new desserts and specials, wines, cocktails, etc.). I'm being very adamant that I don't want any and telling them it's only for 30 days. However, they're at times unrelenting because to them selling food means knowing what it tastes like.

This is on top of actually finding time to eat at work and dealing with a really dysfunctional schedule. I can't even go to sleep at night without taking melatonin (per doctor recommendation), even if I get off early (5-6 p.m.). Last night, I tried going to bed "early" and ended up staying up until 1:30 a.m., waking up late, and not having any desire to cook or eat.

Anyone have tips to get coworkers/managers to back off and find a schedule that works?

Sounds like a really toxic place you're working in.  :(  What if you were deathly allergic to something, or if you were an alcoholic: would they expect you to eat/drink it?

Can you make friends with a co-worker who will tell you what off-plan food/drinks tastes like?  

If not, and if you choose to keep working there, one option is taste and spit out before swallowing. Some professional chefs and bakers who have done Whole30s in the past have opted for that route.

• Administrators

I bet, with a basic adult knowledge of what food tastes like, you could probably wing it. Besides which, everyone's impression of what something tastes like is different.

Not sure how we can help you work out a proper work schedule but for sleep, you could consider taking a magnesium supplement to assist with sleep as well as practice proper sleep hygiene. (On iPad so can't link, but Google "Whole9 improve sleep" and there are a couple articles that should come up about how to improve your sleep).

Sleep hygiene is the best thing you can do for your sleep (especially avoiding exposure to bright lights and backlit screens at night (smart phones, tv, etc), as well as making sure you realistically get enough sleep (you can't go low 5 or 6 nights a week and "catch up" on a specific day).

You can do the taste/rinse/spit, but if you have a serious allergy this may still be a problem (I would get sick from doing this with gluten). If you were having health issues prior to W30 I wouldn't recommend this until you know what you can tolerate.

Smell is a part of taste too, if you can co-taste with someone else, you might want to smell non-compliant items and discuss the flavors with them.

Lots of chefs, bartenders and servers have allergies, not everyone can eat everything.

Try and offer some positives too, you may be able to help them with some allergy friendly options on the menu.

Archived