January 25th, 2016 Start Date

ladyj_srq

For me it's more of a mind game. I was working on my 3rd Whole 30 and got pretty far but then I got some news about my hormone levels and it sent me into a bad spiral. I tried to set every morning but today seems to have done the trick. I'm hungry but I'm using water and hot tea to make it to the next meal. I also preplanned what I'm going to eat. This way I don't have to think about it. Here's to success this time.

So far, today has been like any other average day for me, as my diet was mostly whole food/clean on a day-to-day basis. Where I get into trouble is that my job is in entertainment. I provide services for events, weddings, festivals... for a living, so I work LONG hours (16-20 hour days on event days), am always at some different location where food may or may not be available, and if it is, no guarantee of anything healthy, (usually pizza). Then, eating whatever food is served at the event, (usually decadent, rich party food and desserts.) So, my day-to-day diet is pretty consistent and manageable with no snacking between meals, but my event days are killing me. I really need to step up my planning game and bring coolers of Whole30 food I've prepared in advance to each of my events.

Also, I have tended to deal with the stress of my job and "coming down" from the physical intensity of my events by relaxing with wine. I could be good with clean meals all day and then indulge in popcorn and wine after dinner. I really hope to reverse this habit in the next 30 days because I always feel like crap the day after.

Here's to a great Day 1! :D

Also, I have tended to deal with the stress of my job and "coming down" from the physical intensity of my events by relaxing with wine. I could be good with clean meals all day and then indulge in popcorn and wine after dinner. I really hope to reverse this habit in the next 30 days because I always feel like crap the day after.

oh, me too, definitely. It will be so good to break this habit - I have been wondering, for so long, why I don't have any time - but really that evening time is the ONLY time during the week where I can get anything done (when my kids are asleep) and I've been "giving it away" as a couch potato.

oh, me too, definitely. It will be so good to break this habit - I have been wondering, for so long, why I don't have any time - but really that evening time is the ONLY time during the week where I can get anything done (when my kids are asleep) and I've been "giving it away" as a couch potato.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to making less than ideal decisions in that time between dinner and bed. I plan to start a nightly epsom salt soaking regimen to replace popcorn, wine and tv time! I consistently have trouble sleeping too, so the extra magnesium from the baths should help with that too!

I hope your day 2 is going great!!

• Moderators

I'm hungry but I'm using water and hot tea to make it to the next meal. 

If you are actually hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli, then we would want you to eat a mini meal of two of the three macros (protein, fat, veg) and then increase your previous meal the next day to get you further. You are not expected to go hungry on this program with the exception of being hungry right before your next meal.

Can you give a run down on what you're eating and maybe we can help you adjust it so you don't have to limp from one meal to the next with tea and water?

If you are actually hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli, then we would want you to eat a mini meal of two of the three macros (protein, fat, veg) and then increase your previous meal the next day to get you further. You are not expected to go hungry on this program with the exception of being hungry right before your next meal.

Can you give a run down on what you're eating and maybe we can help you adjust it so you don't have to limp from one meal to the next with tea and water?

One of my issues is snacking. So I think that my hunger is more mental than actual hunger. I'm just used to grazing throughout the day and I'm trying to get away from that.

Breakfast - Sweet potatoes, lean ground beef (about 4-6oz)/or compliant sausage and sautéed spinach in ghee, herbal tea (maybe blueberries)

Lunch - Spring mix, chopped walnuts, some grapes or raisins, carrots, cucumbers, avocado, 6oz baked chicken coated with almond flour, balsamic vinegar and sometimes Avocado oil if I need fat

Dinner - Roasted Veggies (could be a mix of brussel sprouts, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, broccoli) and 6oz of lean protein. If I workout I might add white or sweet potatoes

If I do snack it's banana or apple with homemade almond butter or handful of nuts/raisins or grapes or compliant hot dog.

I'm all about suggestions as this is my third Whole30 and I'm always looking for more options. I'm intolerant to gluten, eggs and dairy (which we can't have anyway).

• Moderators

Okay a few things :)

Meal1:

How does 4-6oz of ground meat relate to the palm of your own hand (thickness x length x width)?  I'd ask the same question about that compliant sausage and say that one sausage does not a meal make.

When salad greens like spinach are sauteed down they really reduce to very little.  Was your sauteed spinach around 2-3 cups after cooking?

Cooking fat is generally not counted as much of it stays in the pan or cooks off so your breakfast needs additional fat.

Meal2:

How does 6 oz of chicken relate to palm size?

Again the note about salad greens altho I'm happy to see you put some chopped mixed veg of other sorts in.

I'm concerned about your comment 'if I need fat'. EVERY meal needs fat.

Meal3:

Again with the 6oz... we like to measure things by your own palm because that's a relatable measurement to your own unique circumstance.

You have no fats in this meal.

How many cups of the roasted veggies did you have here?

Notes:

If you work out, you are entitled to and expected to eat a post work out meal of lean protein and starchy carbs and ideally also a pre work out meal of lean protein and fat.  The post workout meal is to be eaten within about 30 min of your workout when your cells are open and receptive to that healing and nourishing food.  Adding sweet potatoes to your dinner is great but should not be replacing the workout meals.

If you have made your meals to the template, taking into consideration everything above and you are still hungry (enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli) then we suggest a mini meal of at least fat and protein and ideally also veggies.  Snacking on fruits, dried fruits nuts or nut butters is not doing you any favors.

Okay a few things :)

Meal1:

How does 4-6oz of ground meat relate to the palm of your own hand (thickness x length x width)?  I'd ask the same question about that compliant sausage and say that one sausage does not a meal make.

When salad greens like spinach are sauteed down they really reduce to very little.  Was your sauteed spinach around 2-3 cups after cooking?

Cooking fat is generally not counted as much of it stays in the pan or cooks off so your breakfast needs additional fat.

Meal2:

How does 6 oz of chicken relate to palm size?

Again the note about salad greens altho I'm happy to see you put some chopped mixed veg of other sorts in.

I'm concerned about your comment 'if I need fat'. EVERY meal needs fat.

Meal3:

Again with the 6oz... we like to measure things by your own palm because that's a relatable measurement to your own unique circumstance.

You have no fats in this meal.

How many cups of the roasted veggies did you have here?

Notes:

If you work out, you are entitled to and expected to eat a post work out meal of lean protein and starchy carbs and ideally also a pre work out meal of lean protein and fat.  The post workout meal is to be eaten within about 30 min of your workout when your cells are open and receptive to that healing and nourishing food.  Adding sweet potatoes to your dinner is great but should not be replacing the workout meals.

If you have made your meals to the template, taking into consideration everything above and you are still hungry (enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli) then we suggest a mini meal of at least fat and protein and ideally also veggies.  Snacking on fruits, dried fruits nuts or nut butters is not doing you any favors.

Meal1 - The palm of my hand is about 4-6oz of meat. The spinach does cook down so I will work on getting in more veggies and fat. My sausage is more than just 1 little link.

Meal2 - I like to stick with salad and sometime I don't use the mix lettuce at all just chopped up veggies with meat and fat.

Meal3 - More that 1/2 of my plate is veggies. Sometime I will do spaghetti squash or spiral zucchini noodles and home made sauce and lean meat.

I wish I liked fish or could eat eggs. I know all to well that my snacking options are not good which is one of the other reasons I want to eliminate snacking.

I will take another look at the meal planning template. I think I might need a refresher. Thanks for your input.

Yesterday was a tough day, but I knew it would be, so I prepared. Me and my company provided stage, lighting, sound, projection as well as me DJing for a big gala event last night - which means a 14 hour workday for us. I made sure to eat a good breakfast before leaving for the day and packed a cooler full of whole30 compliant food the night before to take with me.

I actually made time to eat lunch from my cooler, which helped fuel me through the start of the event, a gala. This is where the pain begins. They got creative with the food at this event and actually had sushi walls - yes, freestanding WALLS of sushi, hundreds of little wooden forks all lined up in rows with individual pieces of sushi on them, free for the taking all night long. And, they put these walls right next to my DJ booth. Sushi is one of my very favorite things, and this was tough. (I ate my dinner I had packed from my cooler instead.) They also had a "make your own" cannoli station! And, an open bar. Also, being the DJ, people inevitably come over to offer to get me a drink or bring food. This was the first time I've really felt challenged or deprived while on the whole30, but I knew it was coming this week and I prepared, so it wasn't catastrophic.

This will be an ongoing challenge for me, as I do events just like this one for a living. This is how I gained weight and started to feel less energetic in the first place - by eating all of this delicious event food and open bars. (Also, the usual pizza to share with my crew setting up and/or tearing down.) That routine wasn't working for me anymore, so this is why I'm on a reset. I'm so happy I made it to Day 6!

Yesterday was a tough day, but I knew it would be, so I prepared. Me and my company provided stage, lighting, sound, projection as well as me DJing for a big gala event last night - which means a 14 hour workday for us. I made sure to eat a good breakfast before leaving for the day and packed a cooler full of whole30 compliant food the night before to take with me.

I actually made time to eat lunch from my cooler, which helped fuel me through the start of the event, a gala. This is where the pain begins. They got creative with the food at this event and actually had sushi walls - yes, freestanding WALLS of sushi, hundreds of little wooden forks all lined up in rows with individual pieces of sushi on them, free for the taking all night long. And, they put these walls right next to my DJ booth. Sushi is one of my very favorite things, and this was tough. (I ate my dinner I had packed from my cooler instead.) They also had a "make your own" cannoli station! And, an open bar. Also, being the DJ, people inevitably come over to offer to get me a drink or bring food. This was the first time I've really felt challenged or deprived while on the whole30, but I knew it was coming this week and I prepared, so it wasn't catastrophic.

This will be an ongoing challenge for me, as I do events just like this one for a living. This is how I gained weight and started to feel less energetic in the first place - by eating all of this delicious event food and open bars. (Also, the usual pizza to share with my crew setting up and/or tearing down.) That routine wasn't working for me anymore, so this is why I'm on a reset. I'm so happy I made it to Day 6!

I am so impressed! One thought - couldn't you have eaten the fish off the sushi? That's what I would have done!!! 

• Moderators

Good for you!!! Just think, if you were that strong and motivated at the beginning of your 30 days, those events are going to be a piece of steak (cause we're not eating cake here ;)) later on!

Archived