Rebuttals to Forks Over Knives?

InkblotJo

Hey all,

My mother's the chief of clinical nutrition at the hospital where she works, and for most of my life she's been my guiding resource on nutrition until I found paleo and our principles diverged rather drastically. She's been taught most of the more traditional dietary school of thought and thus balks at a lot of paleo's ideas. Recently, one of her co-workers sang the praises of Forks Over Knives to her, and my mom's also been diagnosed with high cholesterol and now she's convinced that she needs to avoid meat. I sent her to to the Raw Food SOS review of Forks Over Knives, which I'm told does a fairly solid job of analyzing the science (I haven't had time to read it over yet). Does anyone have any other recommendations for good, scientifically-justified resources?

Thanks!

While I don't have any kind of academic source to point you to, I have seen the movie. The information they use is very one-sided and seems cherry-picked. Their basis against protein is based solely on giving casein to rats. They don't feed them or inject them with any other form of protein--just casein. I have The China Study but haven't gotten a chance to read it. They used the sheer magnitude of the Study to prove their point about protein, but I have heard there is missing information within the Study.

Like jhmomi helped me see earlier, some things work for certain people while other things work for different folks. You could always get your own blood work done to prove a point to your mom?

I haven't seen Forks Over Knives, but one thing I keep in mind with meat is what did the meat eat? It's my understanding that corn fed cattle has a dramatically different effect on our bodies than grass fed cattle (think Omega 6s vs Omega 3s, and more!).

InkblotJo, one of the things that Forks Over Knives has in common with Whole 30 is that it's about eliminating processed foods and eating whole foods. Where it diverges is regarding grains and legumes and its anti-meat stance. It's advocates a vegan approach.

You should watch the movie (I streamed it on NetFlix) and read Denise Minger's take down of it and the China Study so that you're more prepared for a discussion about it.

Archived