Help with starving husband.

Em42

Hi, my husband and I are on day 5. Since he has started he is always hungry. He is drinking plenty of water. He says he eats his meals and finishes until he is too full but then 30 min later he is starving. I upped his protein a little. I'm not sure what else I can do. Is this normal? I've been reading a lot and most people say they are never hungry.

He says he feels like he has no energy and is drained.

Hi Em - Can you let us know what the veggies were? Is he eating anything now that he didn't typically eat before?

And give us a little more info on other typical meals, including portion size, along with activity levels...

Is he drinking coffee before he eats?

Sure, thank you.

Breakfast, a 4 egg omelet with 2 cups steamed veggies. 1 orange and about 10 cashews.

Lunch, 2 cups shredded "buffalo chicken" 1.5 zucchini boats. An apple and 10 (ish) cashews.

Dinner, 2.5 chicken thighs, 2.5 cups approx carrots and peppers. 1 cup fresh banana and mango.

( He does not like sweet potatoes)

That's okay about the sweet potatoes - there are LOTS of other veg he can get stuck into  :) 

For now I;d suggest ditching the cashews & opting for superior fat sources. Nuts are notoriously hard on the digestive system, and have a poor omega 3 to omega 6 ratio - we'd recommend eating them in moderation only - say a closed handful maybe every other day.

Try something like a half an avocado, some compliant bacon, or home-made mayo/dressings on his meals & see how you go from there.

The four eggs sounds about right for a male, but you might want to switch two of the eggs for a different kind of protein (something like ground beef or fish work well with eggs) as they tend to keep people fuller for longer.

Zucchini is a very watery veg so whilst it may have seem like a lot at the time it will have digested very quickly - try mixing it with some other green veg like kale.

Fruit is recommended to be limited to 1-2 fist sized servings per day and many people choose not to eat it as it can play havoc with blood sugar levels (& in turn appetite, energy, moods, focus etc), particularly when eaten in the morning. Your husband is eating 4 pieces of fruit so I'd suggest cutting that back & keeping any fruit until meal 3 and filling up on green veg earlier in the day.

Hope this helps!  :) 

PS. I merged your two threads as we would request that you do not cross post - that's why this thread looks a little jumbled!

Archived