bzbear2

Day 1:

Breakfast:

Spinach Frittata

Avocado

Apple

coffee with splash of cashew milk

Lunch:

Protein Salad (tuna with mayo, grapes, almonds, onion, ranch on greens)

grapes

Dinner:

Zoodles with ground beef, tomato sauce

drinks: sparkling water with splash of beet/ginger juice

Day 2: leftover zoodles, tomato sauce with ground beef, with fried egg on top (yum!)

about to get some coffee. I was super full after breakfast but I am not used to eating that early so I am already a bit hungry. I brought a hard boiled egg and an apple to tide me over.

Yesterday evening, and I ate dinner, I felt so freed up because I didn't "have to" sit on the couch drinking wine and eating snacks - I cleaned up the apartment (after doing meal prep for the day) and put away some laundry. I am so glad that I now have the "freedom" to be much more productive.

Day 2, continued

For lunch I ate two bell peppers stuffed with protein salad (salmon, tomatoes, cucumber, almonds) and some cucumber and tomatoes dipped in ranch - but I ended up not eating the peppers because they were awkward to eat at my desk and when I got home I was still hungry so I sorta extended my lunch and filled the peppers with leftover meat sauce. I definitely need to have a bigger lunch. 

The afternoon went great and I wasn't hungry until right before dinner - I had an appetizer of two slices of mango wrapped in prosciutto (SO GOOD) and some kohlrabi, and for dinner we ate according to plan: pan seared chicken, roasted potatoes (And sweet potatoes) and slaw but made with endive, kohlrabi and apple. With red pepper sauce. Dinner was so so good. 

Surprisingly my absolute favorite part about the plan so far is all the TIME I have in the evening to clean house and get stuff done. I love love love it. 

Drinking my tea and then off to bed! I feel super energetic and healthy. Yay. Day 3 here we come...

Day 3

Feeling great! Woke up super early and made breakfast. OMG. Best breakfast ever. Totally something I would order in a restaurant - leftover roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, a handful of leftover chicken chopped, two fried eggs and a half an avocado with hot sauce. SO FULL. Yum. 

The only issue I am having is that I have a cold, which was already started before I began. Hopefully it will pass quickly. 

Also I TOTALLY ALREADY had the eating dreams where I eat something I am not supposed to without realizing it!! I laughed when I read that part of the book cause I thought "yeah right" but... well apparently yes. 

Day 3, continued:

Lunch: Mexican Tuna in Romaine, handful of blueberries, leftover slaw. OH wow. This tuna is AMAZING. I have realized that usually when I eat so many veggies, which I love, it's cause I am dieting so I don't put oil or butter or anything and they aren't very good so finally I am enjoying these things! Same goes for tuna. 

oh and on my way back from the store I ate a few pieces of dried mango. Too good though, I can't have that alone it's like candy for me. 

BTW breakfast kept me full all the way until nearly 1pm - so 5 hours. Excellent

Dinner was Slow Cooker Brisket with pumpkin and garden salad. Delish but it was a lot of work, not sure I'd make it again. 

I also discovered coconut cream for my coffee. Might carry me through - delish. Evening tea ritual and then off to be productive - day 3 is a wrap! 

I feel good, I am not craving anything (Except mildly diet coke when I see it in the fridge and am thirsty) and I am so glad for the productiveness I feel! 

Day 4:

Wow! I have to say, I am already so so so pleased with how the Whole30 is changing my life! (that sounds cheezy but I mean it!)

I am so so tired (my kids woke up at 5) but I am feeling so motivated. Somehow, I have so much TIME to do things. How is it possible that, despite all the food prep. How was I spending all of my free time eating? I think it was also just the general lazy feeling that my eating (and let's be honest, drinking) habits gave me.

Anyhoo, breakfast was fantastic. Scrambled eggs with a splash of coconut cream, two slices of compliant bacon, blueberries and sauteed spinach in ghee which wow, that was delicious (baby spinach is so nutty and good). With an espresso with a splash of coconut cream (my new fave). I didn't even bring a snack to work because I want to trust that I can make it until lunch!

I am starting to get a bit nervous about the weekend - we usually celebrate like crazy on friday, saturday and sunday - but I guess we will just find other ways of celebrating!

Day 4, continued

lunch was leftover brisket with pumpkin, some zoodles and pesto

snack of apples wrapped in prosciutto

dinner was salmon with broccoli, squash and mushrooms. 

The salmon I got wasn't so good, I'll have to find better salmon. But otherwise I was happily full. Does anyone else feel FULLER a couple hours after their meal?

Overall still feeling great but having SO MANY guilty food dreams. This one was that I drank a bottle of wine and then realized it. 

It's nice following the "meal plan" because I am getting lots of ideas, seeing what I like and what's not my favorite. I feel really equipped to start planning for next week! 

side note: coconut milk foamed in the aeroccino makes the BEST cappuccino. I think this might be all I'll drink from now on. (like, even post whole30)

Day 5

5!!! wow!! That seems legit, like, yeah, I'm really doing this. It hasn't been hard! Maybe because of planning? Maybe because I am definitely not hungry and the food is delicious? 

Breakfast was a coconut milk cappuccino (YUM), butternut squash soup sprinkled with coconut flakes, and leftover salmon mixed with ranch on endive leaves. I didn't love soup for breakfast... kinda weird (although the soup itself was good). I could imagine taking it in a thermos to work and drinking it, kinda like a savory smoothie, although whole30 does say "eat your food, don't drink it"... The salmon was ok but as I said, I wish I can bought different salmon, didn't love this one. 

Ok so it's friday but I am weirdly not scared I thought I would be disappointed because usually we have (lots) of wine and something junky but it should be ok. 

I am headed off to shop for my last 2 days of the plan. Shopping is weirdly fun now, like a treasure hunt (compliant! woo!)

Hope everyone is doing well,

Emily

day 5, continued

lunch was the greek salad which was SO good but I think I put too much dressing on it cause the end was a little strong and I couldn't finish it. I put two hard boiled eggs in as well as extra artichoke hearts. I also ate the rest of the mexican tuna. I am definitely full. I certainly feel like I want to have dessert after a meal. I am trying to just avoid it, as I gather it's not so adviseable to eat a "replacement" like fruit or have a coffee? Thoughts anyone?

so, friday night, day 5, here we go

pork chop with applesauce. This is from the book and I have to say I kept thinking "where are the veggies?" I mean it calls for a couple of handfuls of frisee but that's not enough for me. I pulled out the leftover veggies from yesterday and ate a chunk of leftover brisket. I wanted to eat until I was full, and one porkchop with a bit of applesauce and a handful of spinach wasn't doing it for me. Also no fat but cooking fat right? That's better. Coconut decaf cappuccino to round things out - I know, I know, not as recommended but it's friday and I am still following the rules :) 

Day 6:

Breakfast was kitchen sink eggs with leftover pork, mushrooms, onions, peppers, avocado. Coconut cappuccino. Delish and definitely filling

Lunch was salmon cakes with mushrooms, peppers, onions and green beans and leftover butternut squash soup

Snack: I ate some almonds, dried mango and beef jerky at the swimming pool as a snack. Found the BEST compliant beef jerky!

Dinner was carnitas with roasted sweet potatoes. 

After dinner I had a cup of tea (tazo passion)

If the Whole30 does nothing else for me (and seriously. it has already done so much) then I will have eaten 30 days of AMAZING food

Day 7:

Weekend! I did it!

breakfast: leftover carnitas with sweet potato and fried egg. yummmmm

lunch, I packed it because we were going out - cold thai salad and salmon cakes. A few bits of dried apple. We were with friends and we went to a pizza place but I was totally fine - drank water with lemon, ate a couple of olives and artichokes. No problemo!

Dinner was sausage frittata and cauliflower mash. really good!

I am already noticing my pants fitting better!!!!!!!!

Week 2, here we GO!

Day 8  (!!!! second week begun!!!)

Breakfast - leftover cauliflower, sweet potatoes and carnitas, coconut cappuccino

coffee with a splash of coconut milk

I am really getting the hang of this. This is my first week "flying solo" (I followed the meal plan from the book last week to the letter) so I sat down to plan last night - I still have to shop but today is all leftovers so I am feeling good. I feel a bit nervous about planning on my own but I think I can do it!

Day 8, continued...

Lunch was leftover frittata with cauliflower mash. Delish and my colleagues were jealous :)

snack of an apple with almond butter, some beef jerky

Dinner was three salmon cakes (I will definitely make those again!!) dipped in sunshine sauce (great combo) and some cauliflower, roasted brussels and sweet potatoes plus leftover applesauce

tazo passion tea before bed

Ok! Moving on to day 9! Double digits aren't far!!

Day 9, 10, 11

Oops! well on day 9, I found out that I am pregnant, which needless to say, threw me for a loop (it was semi planned but this will be our third!!)

I don't remember my exact meals, but I stuck to the program including an evening snack as needed.

Today (day 11) I had:

Mashed potatoes, bacon for breakfast (I know, not enough protein OR veggies which is surely why I am hungry now)

for lunch I have three hard boiled eggs to mix with an avocado and stuff in a pepper

Dinner is salmon benedict (might have to cook that egg a bit longer for me)

I plan on sticking to the program until the end - what could be better for growing baby? And at least alcohol is out of the picture anyways.

Question: I am having my first prenatal appt in two weeks (day 24) and obviously they will weigh me. Should I just not look???

Emily

Congratulations! What fantastic news for you! :)

Just a thought for your prenatal appt: I think trying not to look at the scale might be a good idea. I'm sure they will record your weight so you could always call the office later and ask if you need to know for any reasons relating to your pregnancy.

I got on the scale around Day 8 for what I though was a decent reason but now I think it was stupid and I regret it (even though on Day 0 I had decided I would do it). It just messes with your head, and makes you worry about your weight when what you should be thinking about is nourishing yourself (and now in your case, nourishing your baby!). So based on that tidbit of humble experience, I think it's a good idea to go ahead and follow through with the Whole30 all the way, and wait that extra week or so before you look at the number on the scale.

- Daisy

Congratulations! What fantastic news for you! :)

Just a thought for your prenatal appt: I think trying not to look at the scale might be a good idea. I'm sure they will record your weight so you could always call the office later and ask if you need to know for any reasons relating to your pregnancy.

I got on the scale around Day 8 for what I though was a decent reason but now I think it was stupid and I regret it (even though on Day 0 I had decided I would do it). It just messes with your head, and makes you worry about your weight when what you should be thinking about is nourishing yourself (and now in your case, nourishing your baby!). So based on that tidbit of humble experience, I think it's a good idea to go ahead and follow through with the Whole30 all the way, and wait that extra week or so before you look at the number on the scale.

- Daisy

Thanks for the input! Obviously I won't be worried if I haven't lost a ton of weight given the pregnancy, but I think I will tell them not to tell me the weight.

Day 12:

Is it day 12? I had to check. I feel like I am sort of in the zone, now. I almost forget that I am doing something out of the ordinary. I did snack a bit much yesterday but mostly because I hadn't prepped proper meals. And perhaps the pregnancy hormones are getting to me already - hard to know.

This morning I had pan fried prosciutto (can't eat it "raw" anymore!), 3 scrambled eggs and a ton of sauteed spinach. This is my absolulte favorite whole 30 breakfast. YUM.

Lunch is mexican tuna with a bunch of raw veggies to eat it with.

Dinner is burgers with guac. Excited for friday!

Best,

Emily

I've almost lost track - I think today is day 15?!

I stayed on track all weekend, even though we were out and about. I did snack quite a bit of dried fruit, I need to cut back on that. Otherwise things are going well! The hardest part for me has been that I haven't planned quite as much in advance and have found myself without a good vegetable at a bunch of meals, which makes the biggest difference for me in terms of hunger - I really have to have a nice portion of veggie with my protein. I am working on prepping more roasted veggies and grab and go raw stuff...

This morning for breakfast I had leftover sausage patties, sauteed spinach and avocado with a schmear of bbq sauce from last night (we had superbowl ribs)

it was great!

have a great day everyone

Still here! Day ...18 I think!

things are going well. I'm in a routine, and my cravings are non existant. I still have a bit of "snackiness" and I try not to have too many nuts and dried fruit (blaming it on the pregnancy but really I should try eating a mini meal with protein and veggies.

This morning I had my standard breakfast of fried prosciutto, scrambled eggs and spinach, but I didn't really like the spinach this time, too bitter. I need to buy baby spinach next time.

Archived