Discouraged and frustrated

Felicia

I'm on day 12. I would be on 15, but started over from chewing gum. I'm feeling really discouraged, and am having minimal "good" affects so far. I was feeling this way last week, posted and got advice that possibly my food intake was low, so I have upped it the last 5 days and am still feeling pretty crummy. In fact, the last two days I have woken up with a headache which was actually one of the things that had gone away :(

If i work out, an egg right when i wake up - do my 30 min run - and an egg after.

Breakfast:

I have about the equivalent of one small sweet potato sauteed in lard with onions and bell peppers. One chicken apple sausage. 2 eggs. Half avocado

Lunch:

Sauteed onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and asparagus. 1 palm size chicken breast. 1/2 avocado. All over bed of mixed greens

Dinner:

1 1/2 palm sized ground pork patties. Mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk and clarified butter. Carmelized onions. Broccoli.

I drink about 24 ozs of coffee in the morning. I drink about 100 ozs of water.

I feel moody, bloated, my pants are definitely NOT looser at all, my skin has zits popping out. I was having less headaches which was awesome, but the last two days i have had them. My lips are more dry/chapped which I'm not used to. I have what feels like ZERO energy. I feel extremely full after each meal, I am never left hungry and I don't feel hungry during the day. I'm also feeling pretty constipated. Please help! I need advice. I'm feeling like this isn't getting me anywhere :(

Hmmmmm You are eating FODMAPS with every meal - that could definitely contribute to bloated and uncomfortable. 

If i work out, an egg right when i wake up - do my 30 min run - and an egg after.

Breakfast:

I have about the equivalent of one small sweet potato sauteed in lard with onions and bell peppers. One chicken apple sausage. 2 eggs. Half avocado

Lunch:

Sauteed onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and asparagus. 1 palm size chicken breast. 1/2 avocado. All over bed of mixed greens

Dinner:

1 1/2 palm sized ground pork patties. Mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk and clarified butter. Caramelized onions. Broccoli.

I drink about 24 ozs of coffee in the morning. I drink about 100 ozs of water.

I feel moody, bloated, my pants are definitely NOT looser at all, my skin has zits popping out. I was having less headaches which was awesome, but the last two days i have had them. My lips are more dry/chapped which I'm not used to. I have what feels like ZERO energy. I feel extremely full after each meal, I am never left hungry and I don't feel hungry during the day. I'm also feeling pretty constipated. Please help! I need advice. I'm feeling like this isn't getting me anywhere :(

FODMAP's are foods that have certain types of sugars that our bodies don't digest properly.  Google Whole 30 FODMAPs for the shopping list (sorry for some reason I cannot link.

Skin issues do have a tendency of getting worse before they are better.  Are you anywhere near your period?  Also sometimes nuts and eggs are linked to acne.  

Your pre workout snack is spot on.  however your post workout snack should look like lean protein (eggs are a bit fatty) so chicken breast or canned tuna in water might be a better choice here.

What sometimes helps things "get moving" are a couple of things.  Before you consume anything or even brush your teeth drink 2 glasses of water.  If that doesn't help you could consider taking a digestive enzymes - sometimes we just need help in the beginning.   You could also consider adding fermented foods to your diet - sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha are all great sources of natural probiotics. 

Everyone is different, and until you get through the 30 days you won't know what works for your body.. but for me this time around I felt great days like 5-10 then I felt like crap 10-20, and now I'm on day 25 and back to feeling great... so who knows, I changed up my food some, removed raw veggies, nuts, avocados and being a women - i'm sure some of how i feel (headaches, pimples, bloated..) is where I'm at in my cycle related. I haven't broken out before my period in yearssss (like at least 10) but for some reason this month I found a few spots.. It's all part of the process and nothing to freak out over. Keep making adjustments to food and keep on going. Your body may just be adjusting.. 

But I totally relate to the frustrated and discouraged.. the number of times I told my husband "This stupid food is making me feel worse I quit" and he, or follow whole30ers, had to talk me off the ledge.. it's okay to feel worse even if it's not where the timeline says you should. Keep searching for the better! It's out there somewhere :)

Okay - I did look them up and can adjust. I guess I'm a little frustrated (mostly at myself) because I was following another Whole30 shopping list and didn't have an idea. I think I will need some advice on the "fats" part. The diet highly encourages eating something high in fat with each meal (unless I totally missed something). But it looks like none are "great" choices. I'm not a big nuts person and I've heard they're tough to digest which I don't want considering I'm already having a tough time.

I didnt realize that about post snack, so I'll switch it up with tuna after (blech!).

I've always stubbornly denied how sensitive I am to food, but this process is definitely pointing it out to me. I want to stop feeling so bloated and uncomfortable ALL THE TIME. So your input really helps.

I'm really wanting to make this a way of life and figure out what works for me. I will say it freaks me out a little how limiting the FODMAP list looks :/

I should expand - I have always had a really tough time with my gut, bloating, digestion, and "movement". This is definitely not new to me, which is a huge part of why I wanted to take on the Whole30. I am very tired of being miserable :)

But it looks like none are "great" choices.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

If you mean that several of the fat choices are also high-FODMAP... that's true.  Avocado, coconut products, and nuts and seeds do cause digestive issues for many people ~ but that doesn't mean you have to cut them out completely.  It's just something for you to be aware of, to cut back on your total load of FODMAPs and see if you get some relief from your issues.

Ghee, coconut oil, all types of animal fats (lard, tallow, duck fat, etc), olive oil, macadamia oil, and olives are all on the safe list for FODMAPs.  You can also choose fattier cuts meat.  Have a fatty steak with some ghee melted on top.  YUM.   :)

I will also add to what Carla highlighted above:  Sweet potato and apple.  They are both higher-FODMAP, and they both cause me some serious issues.  Sorry.

Try the compliant items from the green list found halfway through this article:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance.html

I can almost guarantee you that you will feel SO much better within a day or two, if you can give that a try.

If you mean that several of the fat choices are also high-FODMAP... that's true.  Avocado, coconut products, and nuts and seeds do cause digestive issues for many people ~ but that doesn't mean you have to cut them out completely.  It's just something for you to be aware of, to cut back on your total load of FODMAPs and see if you get some relief from your issues.

Yes, sorry I should have been more specific. You nailed it though, I was meaning the list didn't have any in the blue font. I am super happy to see olives are safe, they're a bit easier to work in for me and I LOVE them. I have been cooking in either lard or ghee, so that is good too! And I'll start adding fattier cut of meats for a meal :)

Dont be sorry about the sweet potato and apple, I'm happy to receive ALL feedback. I've been going heavy on the sweet potato so I'll start phasing it out a bit more. Since it sounds like you are sensitive, can you give me a general idea of foods you put together? nothing extensive.

Thank you so much!!!!

I try really hard to stick to that green list in the article I gave you.

I venture off for occasional guacamole, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage, garlic, macadamia nuts, and coconut.  But I do know that too much of these things will come with a price.  

Onions are never, ever worth the price.  I avoid them whenever possible.  They are the only food that has caused me immediate (and lasting) burping.

I would NEVER load up on FODMAPs and then expect to feel slim in a tight-fitting shirt.  I would NEVER eat a heap of broccoli and then go into any type of social situation.   :lol:   

Play around with the list and see what works for you and what doesn't.  This really is what we all have to do.

This is awesome and super helpful. I was getting so angry, thinking to myself "I'm following all of the rules, I'm not cheating, what gives!". So thank you!!! Very helpful and definitely explains why I have been feeling like this so much.

Happy to report that although I had to go to the store last night and re-food prep for the week, I am already feeling better with my first two meals of the day! No movement yet. But the serious abdominal pain and bloating haven't reared their ugly heads so far today!!!!! What a relief to eat and feel "okay" after instead of miserable. At first I was REALLY sad about potentially cutting back on some of my absolute favorite foods (avocados :(), but this totally makes it worth it!

Thank you again!!!!

Archived