Allergy to beef and pork (mammals)

JennyJo103

Hello there! I havent started my thirty days yet, doing all the research and reading first before i start.this may be a stupid question but since this is all new to me and i had thought that paleo muffins would be ok (till i read the book), i wanted to put it out there. I have a weird allergy...mammal meat. That means no beef, pork, bison, deer, or lamb. I can do poultry, fish, and eggs. So for recipes that sounds really good to me like the grilled steak with garlic shallot puree and avocado, could i substitute the steak for a fish or chicken instead? would that change the cooking times drastically? What about the measurements for the meat, would it be the same ounces?

Thanks for any input and i cant wait to start!

JennyJo

• Moderators

You can definitely substitute meat... if the recipe calls for ground meat, you can pretty much use whatever ground meat you want... You need to know that ground poultry is generally much more lean than a pork or ground beef so it wouldn't hurt to add fat to the recipe... (for instance, if I can only get lean pork to make pork burgers, I just put a bit of lard in the mix... you could do that with poultry too). For a ground meat, you can pretty much sub like for like as far as portions in a recipe.

If you're going to substitute two very different proteins (steak vs salmon) you need to do some research into what the cooking times of your protein are compared to what the recipe is asking for.... For your steak example, I would just make all the sauces and sides separate and then grill a piece of chicken breast.

it was a self diagnosis sort of. I spent many years getting sick as a kid then my parents decided to try different things as far as food goes. i do remember going off chocolate at first because they thought thats what was making me sick. but when i was still getting sick, they tried something else. that didnt work then they tried making me go vegetarian and that worked. i went vegetarian for about 15 years then decided as an adult to try meat again. i added chicken at first and it was fine. then i did turkey, that was fine. i did fish/sea food, that was fine. when i tried pork, i had horrible stomach cramps and the whole food poisoning fiasco. the same happened with beef and venison. so my husband and i did some research and concluded that the only connection between the two (beef and pork) was mammals and that fish/poultry was ok because they arent mammals. i get sick from the grease from mammals too...if i go to a mongolian grill and forget to ask the staff to clean the top for me then ill get sick (learned the lesson the hard way) because of the grease from the beef/pork/bacon....i also learned that cooking from cast irons dont work for me too cause ill get sick from that too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Phew. Someone else asked the question first! I was just looking into non-meat recipes so I can do the Whole 30 WITH my husband who also has meat allergies. 

Jenny, I feel for you and your family. We're so sick of chicken and turkey and have been looking for lots of creative ideas for poultry and seafood. Apparently, there is no known cure as much as it's an if/when scenario for when his body will stop creating antibodies to a specific mammalian meat fat sugar. 

My husband "caught" the allergy from the Lone Star tick. My understanding is that it isn't so much the meat as it is a particular sugar in mammalian fat (which primates do not have). It took months of successfully passed diagnostics - gall bladder, GERD, ultrasound, etc all good - before I had the idea to look into tick-borne diseases for him.

This was only after we visited a cousin who still has residual Lyme symptoms. I recalled that my husband had two tick bites from last spring that took more than a month to heal. Once I started searching online, there it was...plenty of online news articles and some med journal articles regarding the allergy. It's not a disease as much as a histamine reaction that occurs about 3-5 hours after digesting meat. Thankfully my husband's body's reaction doesn't cause anaphylactic shock as it does some folks. He can even do dairy in moderation. 

Most doctors haven't heard of the alpha-gal allergy so don't expect instant recognition or even belief that such a thing exists. I had to ask the OU lab to search for a very specific test by Viacor, the Alpha-Gal IgE test. Took them a day to confirm they could do the test and send it off. And then two more weeks before the doctor's office would actually release the results as positive. Apparently, none of the doctors in this particular facility had heard of it. Go figure. 

On the up side, the allergy IS being taught to current med students and even my daughter sent me a screenshot of a page in her college zoology textbook last fall that had a special box dedicated to the Lone Star tick and the alpha-gal allergy.

Benadryl seems to mitigate some (not all) of the effects IF my husband thinks he's had any meat fat (or happened to sneak a bite of bacon or sausage). We've never tested its efficacy on a full blown meat meal. It's not worth the pain and bloating he gets if it fails. 

Jenny - have you tried ostrich steaks? I'm on a quest for finding the closest thing to steak for him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Phew. Someone else asked the question first! I was just looking into non-meat recipes so I can do the Whole 30 WITH my husband who also has meat allergies. 

Jenny, I feel for you and your family. We're so sick of chicken and turkey and have been looking for lots of creative ideas for poultry and seafood. Apparently, there is no known cure as much as it's an if/when scenario for when his body will stop creating antibodies to a specific mammalian meat fat sugar. 

My husband "caught" the allergy from the Lone Star tick. My understanding is that it isn't so much the meat as it is a particular sugar in mammalian fat (which primates do not have). It took months of successfully passed diagnostics - gall bladder, GERD, ultrasound, etc all good - before I had the idea to look into tick-borne diseases for him.

This was only after we visited a cousin who still has residual Lyme symptoms. I recalled that my husband had two tick bites from last spring that took more than a month to heal. Once I started searching online, there it was...plenty of online news articles and some med journal articles regarding the allergy. It's not a disease as much as a histamine reaction that occurs about 3-5 hours after digesting meat. Thankfully my husband's body's reaction doesn't cause anaphylactic shock as it does some folks. He can even do dairy in moderation. 

Most doctors haven't heard of the alpha-gal allergy so don't expect instant recognition or even belief that such a thing exists. I had to ask the OU lab to search for a very specific test by Viacor, the Alpha-Gal IgE test. Took them a day to confirm they could do the test and send it off. And then two more weeks before the doctor's office would actually release the results as positive. Apparently, none of the doctors in this particular facility had heard of it. Go figure. 

On the up side, the allergy IS being taught to current med students and even my daughter sent me a screenshot of a page in her college zoology textbook last fall that had a special box dedicated to the Lone Star tick and the alpha-gal allergy.

Benadryl seems to mitigate some (not all) of the effects IF my husband thinks he's had any meat fat (or happened to sneak a bite of bacon or sausage). We've never tested its efficacy on a full blown meat meal. It's not worth the pain and bloating he gets if it fails. 

Jenny - have you tried ostrich steaks? I'm on a quest for finding the closest thing to steak for him. 

TeriS71: WOW!!! I haven't really met anyone who had similar allergy that I have! what are his symptoms if he does come in contact with the mammal fat? for me its food poisoning type symptoms. ill have to look into the lone star tick and alpha gal allergy some more

but yes I eat a LOT of chicken and turkey...ive also been trying to eat more tuna/seafood/shrimp and duck and ostrich  are other options too but I haven't gotten those before because they aren't conveniently at the grocery store. since ive been allergic for as long as I can remember so I don't have a desire to eat bacon or steaks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jenny! 
Sorry for the delayed response. 

Lucky you on not desiring meat or bacon! The hubs went skiing with friends and tested his tolerance with a few bites of steak (not many options when you're not cooking) and yes, the poor guy still reacts. He's holding out hope as he's been told that the longer he can go mammal fat free, the higher the chance his body will stop creating antibodies...or so they say. As there's no known cure, who knows if he'll have the allergy for life. If you've been avoiding meat for a long time and still react, then the likelihood of it going away is probably low. His symptoms are "hard" bloating, cramping, and occasionally nausea. Locally, I'm aware of at least a half dozen people who've contracted the allergy from tick bites. The ticks are moving west too. :( 

Sadly, he only made it to 21 days of strict Whole 30 before he went on his trip. On the plus side, it's really helped him get off of dairy. Unsweetened cashew milk or coconut milk cools down his coffee just as well in the mornings and no more ice cream or cereal with 2%. Me... I'm still trucking along. I sneak in the occasional meat or pork when he's not around so I'm adapting quite well.

Thankfully, my family will eat whatever I cook. Sometimes with praise on how good it is and other times with an "it's okay." Hah! 

@praxisproject - Duck fat? Interesting suggestion! I'll see if my local grocery stores carry it. I normally don't care for duck or goose itself, BUT have never tried cooking with that type of fat so here's to new experiences. Cheers!

Here in Australia we can get duck fat from supermarkets, delis, European markets and Asian markets too (it's produced locally by a major duck meat supplier, clever people).

I don't much like European style duck dishes, but I love Asian style duck :)

For those who miss pig, duck has similar fatty layers which can be either soft or crispy, depending on cooking.

I find goose really slimy, but have only had it European style (not sure if there are other styles?).

If goose and duck are too exotic, chicken fat is often available (or make your own) but if you buy it, make sure it's not from gluten-ey chickens (a lot of the kosher stuff here isn't gluten free as it's from roast chickens with gluten coatings).

• Moderators

Duck fat? Interesting suggestion! I'll see if my local grocery stores carry it. I normally don't care for duck or goose itself, BUT have never tried cooking with that type of fat so here's to new experiences. Cheers!

If you're in the US, I just recently noticed Epic brand duck fat on the shelf with the other oils/shortenings at my local grocery store. I didn't get any so I can't say how it is, but maybe you'll be able to find it locally too?

• 1 year later...

Ok people, hiking in tall grass is now non-compliant! :ph34r::o:D

https://www.wired.com/story/lone-star-tick-that-gives-people-meat-allergies-may-be-spreading

Red meat, you might be surprised to know, isn’t totally sugar-free. It contains a few protein-linked saccharides, including one called galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, or alpha-gal, for short. More and more people are learning this the hard way, when they suddenly develop a life-threatening allergy to that pesky sugar molecule after a tick bite.

Something in the tick’s saliva hijacks humans’ immune systems, red-flagging alpha-gal, and triggering the massive release of histamines whenever red meat is consumed.

Archived