Extending Whole30 but reintroduction for birthday?

MorganLouise

I am on Day 26 of my first Whole30 and feeling awesome. I'm not quite ready to reintroduce foods, and I'm planning on going for at least another 30 days. I've even notice great NSVs in the past couple of days! My dilemma is that my birthday is a few days after Day 30 and I'd like to celebrate with a vegan chocolate tart. The only non-compliant ingredient is a couple tablespoons of maple syrup as a sweetener. I realize this is not Whole30, but would it be considered a reintroduction with the sugar in the syrup hence breaking my streak of a (planned) 60+ days?

I guess I'd just like the opinion of a pro if it's alright to celebrate a little bit or if I'm better off sticking to fruit and a kombucha?

The vegan chocolate tart is not Whole30. Not just because of the maple syrup but because it is a dessert.

If you were doing this as part of your reintroduction (which are AFTER, not part of your Whole30) you'd be looking not just at the physical effects of the sugar but also at the psychological effects, if any.

So, your Whole30 streak would then be broken. But if you go back to Whole30 the next day, you start a new streak. Does that really matter to you? :-)

So yes, you can celebrate. You can always choose what to eat. It's completely up to you whether you want to break your "streak" or not.

• Moderators

I am not a fan of long Whole30s. The program was designed to be 30 days and then a period of food testing. The purpose of a Whole30 is for you to develop your personal eating plan and to then live according to your rules, not the Whole30 rules. So, going 60 days is no special thing in my book. I say enjoy what you want on your birthday. 

I should admit that I went about 120 days when I first started because I did not want to stop. But eventually we need to reintroduce foods for testing purposes and create our own eating plan. :)

• Moderators

I am not a fan of long Whole30s. The program was designed to be 30 days and then a period of food testing. The purpose of a Whole30 is for you to develop your personal eating plan and to then live according to your rules, not the Whole30 rules. So, going 60 days is no special thing in my book. I say enjoy what you want on your birthday. 

I should admit that I went about 120 days when I first started because I did not want to stop. But eventually we need to reintroduce foods for testing purposes and create our own eating plan. :)

I think this is where the Slow Roll re-intro idea came from...

OP: if you want to keep going, mindfully, just make sure that when things do pop up that you're doing a proper re-intro.  

Because there's no sanctioned Whole60, I would eat the tart for your birthday and then start again if you want for another 30 days...

These are all great points, thank you everyone! I probably need to revisit the reintroduction chapter of the book too. I think I'll enjoy the tart on my birthday and probably do more of a slow roll re-into going forward. And if I feel my healthy habits are slipping, I can always start another round.

Archived