Gaining weight and stomach pain

Jozzie

Hello everyone,  I am on day 25 of my first Whole 30.  Before starting Whole 30 I was eating pretty healthy (no processed foods, limited gluten and grains, a lot of veggies (raw and cooked).    Here are the problems I have been having

Weight Gain

Though I have not weighed myself, I feel heavier and my pants are tighter

Stomach Pain

The past 2 days I have been experiencing gas pains in my lower stomach area

Sick

I caught a cold on day 15 which lasted through yesterday (still lingering today but mostly gone).  I had not been sick for this long in years

Palpitations

The past two weeks I have had 100's of palpitations per day - went to cardiologist yesterday to get checked out.  

The one great thing that has come from this is I am finally no longer hungry every two hours!  Here is a sample of what I eat most days

Meal 1

2 eggs, 1/4 large avocado, homemade mayo, coconut milk in coffee, steamed greens, onions, 2 oz turkey sausage (homemade), orange or apple

OR  1/2 butternut squash, roasted apple, 2oz turkey sausage, piece of fruit, coconut oil

Meal 2

Protein (2 chicken legs, pork loin, etc), cooked veggies - at least 1-2 cups, some fat like avocado or mayo, piece of fruit with coconut flakes

Meal 3

Protein (tuna, shrimp, chicken) with large salad of raw veggies (mixed greens, broccoli, cabbage, beets, etc, 1/4-1/2 avocado, olive oil or tahini dressing, cashews 

I occasionally will snack between meals 2/3 or in evening and will have apple with tahini, or handful of olives/chicken, or chopped liver (homemade) and hard boiled egg.

Also have thyroid issue (Hashimotos) so not sure if/how that is relating to all of this

Would love to hear if others are experiencing some of these issues and what I can do - thanks!

Hi there,

Sorry you are not feeling well.  After looking your meals you could be having some issues with a food category called FODMAPs. Now you could possibly be fine with these vegetables previously but now that you are doing a whole 30 you could be consuming too many of them and it is overloading your system.  FODMAPs are foods that have certain types of sugars that our bodies have issues with digesting. You could google whole 30 FODMAP shopping list or you could google The Paleo Mom - FODMAPs for a more comprehensive article with regards to these foods.

I have highlighted the FODMAPs in you meals below just to give you an idea on how many you are consuming.  Many people will do better once they cut back on them for a few days.

Also how are your stress levels - I find I have more issues with FODMAPs when I am under stress.

Meal 1

2 eggs, 1/4 large avocado, homemade mayo, coconut milk in coffee, steamed greens, onions, 2 oz turkey sausage (homemade), orange or apple

OR  1/2 butternut squash, roasted apple, 2oz turkey sausage, piece of fruit, coconut oil

Meal 2

Protein (2 chicken legs, pork loin, etc), cooked veggies - at least 1-2 cups, some fat like avocado or mayo, piece of fruit with coconut flakes

Meal 3

Protein (tuna, shrimp, chicken) with large salad of raw veggies (mixed greens, broccoli, cabbage, beets, etc, 1/4-1/2 avocado, olive oil or tahini dressing, cashews 

Unfortunately one of the side effects of a high FODMAP diet is to feel bloated and uncomfortable.  They are not foods you should eat if you want to fit into a nice slim pencil skirt.....

Also please note that 2oz of turkey sausage is far to little as a protein severing in one meal.  Eat more protein in your meal one.  It is fine when it is partnered up with eggs - but when it's not enough  - it's not enough.  

Thank you so much, I had not heard of this and will certainly try it.  Just downloaded the shopping list from the Whole 30 site for FODMAP - You are right, I've been eating all of these foods for many years with no problem, though I'm certainly eating more than I have - especially avocado, butternut squash and lots of coconut milk.  Always ate tons of apples, more than I do now, but will try eliminating them and see what I notice.  Also, noticed coconut milk/flakes is not listed as "off limits" on the Whole 30 list but is listed as "be careful" on the other site you mentioned.    I will let go of that for a few days too and see what I notice.

Archived