How do I know if I need a PWO meal?

_mandacell

I wanted some clarification about whether or not I need a post workout meal.  I use the gym at work during my 'lunch'.  I only have time to workout for 20-25 minutes.  I run twice a week and lift weights/strength train the other 3 days.  I then eat my lunch about 2 hours later.  I don't know if my workout is intense or long enough to warrant extra food, I don't want to be eating too much.

Thanks!

• Moderators

This article explains some of the why and what for post-workout meals.

I'd encourage you not to worry about eating too much for now. A post-workout meal isn't a huge amount of food anyway, just a few bites of lean protein, and optionally some starchy vegetable, so why not try having the post-wo for a few weeks and see how you feel. If after trying it for a few weeks, you feel like it's too much, you could try taking it out again and see how you feel without it. 

Thank you for the article link!  When I hear the word meal, I think it has to be something bigger than it is.  

I eat breakfast at between 6 and 6:30am.  I split my lunch into two because of my work schedule.  I have a 30 minute lunch and 2 15-20 minute breaks.  I eat lunch 1 at 10:15am, then gym at 12:15pm, then lunch 2 at 3pm.  Today I brought some cooked chicken sausage to eat at my desk.  I wish I had an hour break and then could go to the gym and eat...but this is what I've got for now. 

I do often feel like I need to eat a little something when I get back from my workout. And I'm starving by my later lunch. 

Archived