Gluten Free Alcohol + Mix & Match Reintroduction

hannabanana

On day 11 here and feeling fantastic while planning reintroduction - I'm a planner... I have a couple of questions:

First: what exactly is gluten free alcohol? Is gin gluten free? I have a gin tasting event on day 1 after the end of my Whole30, and I'd really like to participate.

Second: Say I introduce dairy with no ill effects, and go back to W30 for 2 days before introducing legumes, can I have dairy on my legume introduction day?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

• Administrators

Gluten free alcohol is any that is not made with a gluten grain (beer, some vodka, rye etc). Just google whether or not gin is gluten free, I'm not entirely sure. I know tequila would be a gluten free alcohol, as would wine.

Your second question the answer is no, you do not include any other off plan items on your reintroduction days whether you felt you had a reaction to them or not. Each item is reintroduced alone, then 2-3 (or more if needed) fully compliant days in between and then you test the next item.

• Moderators

The reason you cannot continue eating dairy, for example, even if you think you had no negative reaction is that people often do not notice subtle reactions and reactions are often dose dependent. You may be able to consume a little without suffering, but if you eat just a bit more you suffer. So, if you reintroduce a new food while eating dairy, you confuse the study and make it impossible to sort out issues. 

On day 11 here and feeling fantastic while planning reintroduction - I'm a planner... I have a couple of questions:

First: what exactly is gluten free alcohol? Is gin gluten free? I have a gin tasting event on day 1 after the end of my Whole30, and I'd really like to participate.

Second: Say I introduce dairy with no ill effects, and go back to W30 for 2 days before introducing legumes, can I have dairy on my legume introduction day?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

Don't think gin is GF but you can get potato vodka which is. I would take the advice and definitely do some research before the tasting.

Gin is rarely gluten free as it's usually made from a grain based alcohol.

Many vodkas are also grain based, even some potato vodkas have grain alcohols mixed in.

Some alcohol is naturally made without grains, like wine, rum and cider, but they can be contaminated.

Locally in Australia a lot of our ciders are made in the same places as beer (often out of beer barrels), so checking brands matters.

Archived