Second Whole30... stomach issues :/

mcnyc

I'm on day 17 of my 2nd whole30 and I'm having some stomach issues this time around. I first tried whole30 to treat some of my GI problems - I had stomachaches almost every time I ate, and was getting diarrhea several times a week. (sorry if this it tmi)

By day 7 of my first whole30, my BMs were very regular and solid. After finishing the 30 days, I had 2 months of clean-ish eating and felt great; regular BM activity continued. (hooray for whole30!) Then the holidays hit and it was about a month of very UNclean eating and stomach issues returned, so I started my second whole30 and here I am.

My first week, I was experiencing difficulty going to the bathroom along with very extreme stomach cramps (worst on day 5) which I attributed to gas. (Had a similar experience during week1 last time, but not as extreme.) Since day 7, the cramps are gone, but I've been getting diarrhea almost every day. It's not out of control, but it's pretty much every time I go. This is such a drastic change from the last time, despite eating quite similarly, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if I should just expect a totally different pattern each time and allow it to resolve on its own.

typical day:

Breakfast: eggs with avocado

Lunch: sweet potatoes, chicken soup

Snack: goji berries, almonds, orange slices

Dinner: roasted cauliflower & sweet potatoes, turkey burger

Another typical day:

Breakfast: eggs w/bacon & potatoes

Lunch: Roasted sweet potatoes, kale or brussels sprouts, and chicken

Dinner: spaghetti squash with meat sauce (ground beef + tomato sauce)

Snack: apples with almond butter, pistachios 

(um. i eat a lot of sweet potatoes...)

I also exercise somewhat regularly, about 3-5 times per week. Usually yoga, spinning, or pilates.

Any advice?

• Moderators

Sorry you are having trouble!

You may want to try cutting back or eliminating avocado, goji berries, almonds, cauliflower, brussels sprouts -- these are all high FODMAP foods and thus potentially troublesome. See how you feel subbing other veggies in that are low FODMAP. Green beans, spinach, carrots, etc.

If you feel a continued need to snack, you should make your meals a bit bigger to get you through to the next. If you do snack it's best to stay away from fruit and nuts. Have a mini-meal based on the Meal Template, or at the very least, some protein in the mix. Try hard boiled eggs, baby carrots, etc.

You should be eating a post workout meal after your workouts (and/or a preWO meal). This may be why you are feeling the need to snack. See the Meal Template for suggestions.

Yeah, holy FODMAP!! My tummy gurgles just reading your foods! :wacko: Small amounts of Goji berries are low FODMAP, like 1 tablespoon I think. Spaghetti squash is low FODMAP but it does terrible things to me.

You don't necessarily need to avoid these foods forever, just limit them or choose one per meal until you know which ones trouble you. 

Breakfast: eggs with avocado

Lunch: sweet potatoes, chicken soup

Snack: goji berries, almonds, orange slices 

Dinner: roasted cauliflower & sweet potatoes, turkey burger

Breakfast: eggs w/bacon & potatoes

Lunch: Roasted sweet potatoes, kale or brussels sprouts, and chicken

Dinner: spaghetti squash with meat sauce (ground beef + tomato sauce)

Snack: apples with almond butter, pistachios

Archived