Bloat around Days 19-22

Hey All!

I'm on day 22 and since day 19 I've felt bloated. I know what you're going to ask...I'm not close to my period. I have been eating roughly the same things since I started, so I will give you an example of my daily eating. PLEASE be judgemental, and let me know what I'm doing wrong. After the first 2 weeks I was feeling a tightening in my stomach, arms, and legs. I could see a difference in my face and life was good. Now I'm feeling like I'm back where I started. Since I'm not weighing myself--I don't know if I AM back to where I started....but please, oh please! Say it ain't so!

Example Day:

Breakfast: 3 eggs cooked in olive oil with spinach and/or bell peppers with apple or berries and a clementine

Lunch: Chicken/beef/pork/shrimp with cooked veggies, and whatever fruit I didn't have for lunch. (sometimes-1-2 times a week I have a banana with some homemade cashew butter with lunch. My cashew butter is cashews and coconut oil only)

Supper: Shrimp/chicken with veggies in olive oil with unsweetened applesauce and berries. An alternative meal here would be more eggs with meat and sauteed veggies.

Avg water intake is between 6-10 glasses depending on the day.

Am I eating too much fruit? Is this about water intake? Please help!

Okay... a couple of few things here.

I see very little fat going on with your meals.  Yes they are cooked in oil, however most cooking gets left behind in the pan unless you make it a point of scraping it on to your dish.  Feel free to add additional fat to your meals like homemade mayo, olive, avocado, homemade dressings, ghee, nuts.  Nuts should be limited to a small closed handful every other day.  They are not an ideal fat source because of their omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acid ratios.

Are you vegetables adding up to at least 1 to 3 cups / meal. When greens are your veg you need to think of them cooked and wilted.  So are you eating in your breakfast 1 cup of cooked and wilted spinach?  

I see a lot of fruit as well.  Fruit (especially in the morning) will set you up for feeling tired, lethargic, snacky.  Fruit also has a tendency of keeping the sugar dragon going.  Also fruit should not be pushing vegetables off of your plate.  Try to limit your fruit intake to 1 - 2 fist sized servings a day.

Are you vegetables adding up to at least 1 to 3 cups / meal. When greens are your veg you need to think of them cooked and wilted.  So are you eating in your breakfast 1 cup of cooked and wilted spinach?  

I see a lot of fruit as well.  Fruit (especially in the morning) will set you up for feeling tired, lethargic, snacky.  Fruit also has a tendency of keeping the sugar dragon going.  Also fruit should not be pushing vegetables off of your plate.  Try to limit your fruit intake to 1 - 2 fist sized servings a day.

Every now and the I do add half of an avocado to my lunch and supper....so that I don't waste it. I have made homemade mayo, but I'm having a hard time working it into my meals. Also, thanks for the info about the fruit. I feel like it's nice to have fruit with breakfast since I am always wanting pancakes or french toast in the morning. 

I will try and make those changes--I am DEFINATELY not eating 1 cup of cooked/wilted spinach in the morning. That's a change I can implement immediately. 

Hey I here you on the having fruit in the morning thing.

For 36 years I ate cereal every single morning. (Okay maybe not every single morning - but it was a regular item for me to eat) I loved my Maple Pecan Oatmeal Crisp or my Special K with red berries. (I cringe at this now simply in remembrance on how sweet everything was) 

So in the beginning I used to eat a morning scramble consisting of 2 eggs, cooked cubed sweet potato, spinach, mayo and berries.  Because I needed that sweet finish.  After the first week that held me, then I started getting hungry by 10:30 again.  Fine. 3 eggs, cooked cubed sweet potato, spinach, mayo, and a side of berries.  Again held me for a bit then started getting hungry earlier again.  Fine 2 eggs, ground, beef, cooked cubed sweet potato, spinach, starting dropping the berries on and off - so sometimes I would eat them, and sometimes I wouldn't.  The days I dropped them I did much better,  The days that I ate them (and keep in mind I ate the exact same thing almost every morning) I was hungry early.  So that means my body was crashing mid morning even after the small amount of berries I was eating.

The whole 30 is a massive change in mindset.  massive.  The last thing you should be doing when you are craving something sweet is to eat something sweet.  Best thing to reach for when you are craving sugar is to reach for protein and fat.  So increase your veggie intake and increase your fat - for me it was to slather mayo over everything.  And I do mean slather.

Mayo is so very versatile - you can make dressings with it, you can dip oven roasted veggies in it.  It's seriously awesome stuff.  (can you tell that I'm in love with my mayo?? :wub: )  

Avos disagree with me so I cannot offer you much help there other than to recommend making guacamole.  

Archived