Can't choke down the food

Jamnholl

Hey all,

Has anyone else gotten to the point where they aren't hungry, know they need and should eat, but you literally are choking on it and would rather not eat? I don't know what my deal is! It's good food! And things I've eaten lots of? So it's not that it tastes bad. How do I get past this and keep eating whole foods?

• Administrators

What day are you on? Food boredom is a real thing and happens to lots of people. Fortunately it doesn't last long and it does pass.  The best way to get it to pass quicker is to continue to eat, mostly things that you know you like and never less than the minimum on the template (linked below).  The best way to compound the issue is to stop eating.

Keep at it, it'll get better.  You can also google "Whole30 food boredom" and should get a few forum hits on previous discussions.

I can relate. I am starting day 27 and definitely feeling a bit bored. I don't have to force food down but I find that I am not finishing my food- and there have been a few points lately where I look at my plate and I am just like "not another bite" and I stop. But, I find that much healthier than my food with no brakes life before! But I, too, can say I have been hungry maybe once in 27 days. My entire world of interacting with food has shifted. Instead of seeing food as a stress-reliever and sneaky good time, I actually have to work at it and it requires a lot of focus, attention, planning, and execution! Psychologically, that takes some of the pleasure out of it I'm sure but hang in there!

My advice is to make a new recipe/change up the routine. This very morning for example, I just could not bear to eat an egg for breakfast so I had my roasted cauliflower/fennel soup with sugar-free turkey bacon topping, a small dollop of sweet potato, and blueberries. I feel like i stepped off the conveyor belt a bit~

Good luck!

Phew!  Glad to see other people in the same boat.  I find that I have cut the size of my breakfast almost in half.  For most of the Whole30, my breakfast would be 2 eggs, half an avocado, and about 2/3-3/4 cup of sweet potato.  This week, I haven't even been able to finish that so I have decreased to only one egg and probably 1/2 cup sweet potato, and kept the avocado.  I am still full until lunch, and I'm not tempted to cheat, but I have been really pleased with how good I feel now that I am eating breakfast every day rather than expecting a Starbucks latte to get me through until lunch...and I don't want to find myself skipping breakfast again if my appetite keeps decreasing like this!

I want to shake it up and eat new things but it's been hard impossible to find compliant breakfast meats (sausage, bacon) in my area, and I don't really want to spend any more time in the kitchen than I already do.

Maybe something like a breakfast casserole (e.g. meat, veg, sweet potato or potato, maybe eggs) all baked together, that you could make once at the beginning of the workweek and then the leftovers would carry you through?  I have been looking for recipes.  Sometimes I wonder if it's not "food boredom" but "cooking fatigue"!

Thanks all! I am so glad I am not alone. I am day 13 today. It started just being dinner time, yesterday I took two bites of my breakfast and couldn't eat any more.

So I made a green smoothie.

I think maybe it is I need to change things up.

I will try that route! Thank you!!

Archived