Starting today, January 28th, 2016!

Cece22

I tried to start my Whole30 month yesterday, but then went home and realized that the garlic salt I cooked my chicken in was full of extra sugars! I'm excited for this journey, but a bit afraid I'm going to screw it up on accident by not being 100% mindful of everything that goes in my body.  That's the main reason I'm trying out this forum...I figure that if I'm connected to other people and resources it will be easier to get through the entire 30 days successfully.  

I started this plan for a variety of reasons.  First, I simply want my body to feel better.  I was a competitive athlete in college, and I loved the fact that I could eat whatever I wanted and still be in great shape.  Over the past 7 years, I’ve had to contend with the fact that 1) I’m getting older and my college eating habits just won’t work anymore, and 2) I’m never going to work out as hard as I did when I had a coach screaming in my face.  I need a new way of taking care of myself going forward. 

Secondly, I was diagnosed with bipolar2 disorder a few years ago.  Since then, I’ve gone on and off a variety of different medications, all of which either drastically changed my personality or made me sick.  I see a therapist, but want more control over my mental health.  I’m not expecting a miracle, but I’m hoping that by cutting out sugar and alcohol I’ll gain clarity and be better equipped to handle my moods.  Has anyone else seen positive mental health effects from the whole30? Any advice would be awesome!

:)

Cece22

CeCe!  This is meant to be!  I started today as well, and ALSO have Bipolar 2! I have trouble with anxiety, and I notice an improvement in my anxiety when I eat this way.  I think a big part of it is finally feeling in control and being prepared.  I don't worry about what I am going to make for lunch and dinner everyday because I have planned it out ahead of time.

I am fortunate that my Bipolar is very well balanced with meds.  I have nearly zero side effects from them and respond to them very well.  I know a lot of people have trouble finding that.  Sugar and alcohol can put my moods into a tail spin.  When I eat a lot of sugar it gives me a fleeting manic feeling.  And lets face it, sometimes being manic can feel AWESOME.  Alcohol, even a couple glasses of wine, disrupts my sleep and my moods.  So, I know I feel better without that.

Anyways, it is nice to meet you! :D

Hey - I also started yesterday. Started cutting back on sugar last week so the carb crash wouldn't be so drastic. I am a pretty healthy eater and a nutrition educator, when I heard about Whole30 I was curious about it and what it might do for me.... I lost 55lbs about a year and a half ago - I know there is another 15 hiding from me.... I think this might be the answer. Plus I am looking for a solution to lifelong digestive problems and carb cravings..... Excited, terrified and grateful - but hey, I have cleaned out the kitchen and the refrigerator is stocked! I have recipes and I know how to use them.... Lol.

Have a successful weekend everyone.

Archived