Riding my Own Bike: Accountability after Whole100/58

WholeMama623

Sounds like you had a great day, Britt! I think focusing on paleo rather than the gluten free stuff might be your answer. "Head towards the light, Carol Anne!" ;-)

That's honestly my end goal! I really want to try REALLY eating paleo and seeing if that is possible. I also don't mind the paleo snacks from time to time. My goal is not to cut sugar out 100% because I will honest with you, that seems over the top. I know that I'm proving to be an abstainer, but before I cut sugar out entirely, I want to see if I can ABSTAIN from processed crap, and just stick to Paleo. If that works out for me, than I don't see an issue.

Even this past weekend. The place we went had chia pudding topped with nuts and strawberries and it looked amazing but I got the gluten free cake instead! I would have been happier (mentally) getting the chia pudding! I think what it boils down to is I really just need to make better decisions when faced with food.

My thoughts are all over the place, I know.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just stopping by to second the advice to check out the sugar addict post if you haven't already... I get it seems extreme but as discussed in sugar addict.. it is an addiction... and even one paleo tart, or one banana in the morning, can have a big impact. It's the same as any addict having to give up what they think they "love"... 

I'm just stopping by to second the advice to check out the sugar addict post if you haven't already... I get it seems extreme but as discussed in sugar addict.. it is an addiction... and even one paleo tart, or one banana in the morning, can have a big impact. It's the same as any addict having to give up what they think they "love"... 

Thanks. I've checked it out, and for now I'm not chiming in. I do understand what is being said, but I'm on my own path trying to figure out what works best for me. I'd really like to find an in between place where I can have a treat occasionally. I really do see what you all are chiming to tell me, and I know that reading from the outside it must be frustrating, but I have to do what works for me in my actual life.

I do seem hard on myself/upset in some of my posts, but this is my place to vent and mostly just get my feelings down so they are recorded. I've been VERY happy with the past two days and feel that I'm getting back on track. I honestly do not want to seem mean, or dismissive, but it's a lot easier for someone to tell someone else "quit eating sugar!" than it is for ME to actually do it in one day.  I really appreciate the support of who is reading here, honestly.

Feeling good about yesterday, and today thus far! I only have one non whole30 food item today. I am also skipping the carrageenan free almond milk coffee creamer I bought for myself too. I tried it two days this week and felt that it still left a chemical nasty taste in my mouth. I've finally come to the conclusion that I actually really ENJOY black coffee! So back to black I went today.

Last night for dinner we had baked bone in chicken breasts with parsnips and ghee. YUM! That's also what I'm having for lunch since we have a good bit of leftovers, and my snack this afternoon is more carrots with guacamole.  Dinner will probably be more of the same.. Chicken! I love leftovers and really don't mind eating the same thing a couple days in a row, which works out nice.

Going to do my walking DVD again tonight. My plans right now are to do Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights, but this Sunday is the Super Bowl, so maybe if it's warmer, I'll get out of a walk instead.

Did not work out last night.

For dinner we had a baked sweet potato with ground turkey and spinach stuffed inside. About 30 minutes after eating, I was bloated to the point of looking 7 months pregnant and was extremely uncomfortable for the rest of the night.  I think this is why I feel sick after eating, although last night was extreme for the bloating.

I really think I may be dealing with SIBO and emailed my GI this morning to see if we could test for it.

I see there is the SCD diet for SIBO and it looks tough.. tougher than Whole30

Thanks Tina. Luckily it's nothing invasive, just sitting for a long time. I'll just take a book and get comfy! :)

I feel like garbage. I ate a lot of crap on the night of the Super Bowl. Even had stupid soy which I NEVER have because it was in this dip we bought. I really am feeling effects of eating poorly and I know I need to clean it up again already. Vacation is in 60 days. This is what did it last time.

Joint pain has been out of this world for a few days. I couldn't even sleep last night because my knee ached so badly.

So today I have to follow a special diet for the SIBO test. The ONLY THING I'm allowed to eat is Plain chicken, and Plain white rice, black coffee/tea and water. I just skipped breakfast, so I won't have three damn meals exactly the same today.

Hey everyone.

It's been stressful as of late, but here I am for an update.

SIBO test was positive and I'm to start on antibiotics.

The diet for keeping the bacteria from overgrowing again, is a bit harder. Before I jump to extremes, I think I'm going to try a combo of paleo and Low FODMAPS before doing anything more extreme and seeing how that helps.

My time here may be done for awhile, but I am thinking about starting a blog to document my journey.

Hi Britt,

I'm glad you got some answers about why your tummy has been so disrupted of late. 

I'm so glad you've been along on my journey. You've been a great source of motivation but I understand that you need to do whatever makes sense for you with the SIBO. Do come back to the forum and tell us if you start a blog, or let us know how the diet is going. I certainly hope you get some relief!

Julie

• 1 month later...

hey everyone.

sorry I jumped ship. I was having a hard time dealing with my diagnosis of SIBO. I posted a couple times in the blog and then stopped because it was just more complaining.

I had my colonoscopy/EGD last week and was diagnosed with Gastritis and Barrett's Esophagus on top of SIBO. The illness just keeps coming! It's insane.

I'd been sticking to a diet called SCD and Low Fodmaps. I felt a little bit better, but it is insanely hard to stick too. I need a place to come and talk (even if just to myself) and i'll probably come back here.

After taking the meds for SIBO, I did start dropping weight. I've lost about 10 lbs just in the last month/month and a half and I'm the lowest weight I've been since before I got married in 2013. It was like a light was switched.

I do fall off the wagon, but it's usually only for one item of food now. I did have a sugary/milky coffee a weekend or two ago and it was amazing, but it didn't lead to anything worse. My binges are getting shorter, and I'm not even enjoying them anymore. It's pretty obvious that I need to stay eating clean because now when I splurge, I now have to take zantac for the first time in years.

So that's that. I hope Tina and Julie will still be here and say hello!

Too funny. I came on here the day before, after being gone for weeks and weeks, looking for you! 

So glad you got some answers and your treatment is helping. I'm running to work but I'm planning to come back to the board, too.  :D

Julie,

how funny is that!? we were sending out our bat signals. LOL.

I did really well last week. I told myself "NO grains, dairy, soy, sugar, or fake stuff" and I lasted 6 days before I had some chocolate pudding with my daughter. Then the past two days I've eaten 2 gluten free cookies. Nothing too terrible, but it's keeping me off track a little bit.

We are going on vacation again the 2nd week of April. When I get back, I'm going hardcore again!

Julie, let me know when you have a new blog, or where you are posting!

hi there !  so glad you got an answer !  Yes it sucks that it is yet another illness - but atleast it has a name !!!  I too, came here to check on you - I was off line for 31 days - went  back to my post to get back on the wagon  I have my trip to FL in June that I want to be in a good place for - so trying to get some exercise and good for me eating.   I have been doing this for a yr and half now - and wouldn't go back to my old life for nothing.  Not even when my friends shake their heads and say how can you eat/live/drink like that.... well a yr and half people - it can be done.

Glad you are doing well

It sounds like you've been doing good with sticking to the new diet. I'm sure it's very frustrating to have such a restricted food plan, but I've glad you got some answers about what was causing that pain. 

I wish I could say I was doing well with my eating but I'm not. Guess I'll post about that on my own thread.

Thanks so much for checking in on me ladies! I really appreciate it.

This weekend was a crap shoot. Lots of junk.. ate some ice cream, corn (which I never eat), GF bars, and candy. UGH.

I have told myself NO Grains/dairy/soy/processed sugar until Saturday. We are going to a friends house for dinner and they are making gluten free spaghetti for me, so I already know that's on the books.

Other than that, I am trying to stay SUPER strict until vacation where I will loosen up again until I come back home. Then I'm going to do another Whole30 to get me back on track!!!

No, the stuff I ate made me feel awful!!! My body hurt so badly it was waking me up from my sleep. You'd think that would be enough to make me stop, but it doesn't happen every time. It's something specific, I just don't what is doing it!

yesterday I did good. I met my goal of NO grains/sugar (processed)/dairy or soy.

Today, I am on track for the same!

started the day with a banana and Justin's nut butter

for lunch I had green beans and a plain burger with mustard and some black olives.

I'm going to have some applesauce for  a snack and I'm not sure about dinner but it will likely be fish and a veggie.

I can do this!!!

Archived