Scared to fail! Looking for tips for first timers!

paredessj13

Hi All,

I just came across Whole30 when I googled how to lose 20 lbs. I love google! Until about 6 months ago I was on track to hitting my goal weight of 147, and low body fat.  I then got divorced, and gained weight and adopted additional unhealthy eating habits. So I'm here to make a lifestyle change. I am afraid to fail, to not give it 100%. 

I'm looking for tips from any first timers as I read through the book on my kindle and start my preparations. I know I need to empty my pantry/fridge of easy to reach for unapproved foods.  Wondering If I should get rid of a lot of the frozen (homemade) meals I stocked. I guess that will depend if they have unapproved ingredients. 

Please tell me any tips, tricks, mantras you all have that may help me out! 

Thank you very much! 

Welcome!

Besides planning, one meal at a time, following the rules and using the recommended meal template to compose your meals is the best advice I can give you.

Join a group thread of other folks starting the same time as you, so you can have camaraderie as you progress through.

Instead of being scared to fail, be excited to succeed!

(On, and don't focus on weight loss: focus on healthy changes you notice as you go through the process.)

You have already succeeded in making yourself aware of food choices and how to improve them. Build on that success and do the best possible Whole30 you can. That will be another success.

This program will teach you a lot about yourself. Some of it may not be pretty but all of it will put you on a road to success if you commit to improving your choices over time. Good luck!

HI! I am newbie myself, today is DAY 6, and I am thrilled to report I am doing TREMENDOUSLY, without most of the "normal" cravings, symptoms, fatigue that most have to suffer through. I think this is mainly due to my preparation to begin the Whole30. I decided to do it in Dec. & as of Jan. 1st begin prepping (for my start date of the 24th). I studied the book, I made shopping lists, dos & don'ts, gathered some new exciting recipes & stocked my pantry with the good stuff (rather than going out in one huge trip & buying tons of new spices and flours & vinegars & oils all once). As of Jan 1st I began eliminating foods that I knew I would not be able to have (knowing I was doing "by choice" rather than due to the "rules"), thus lessening the "withdrawals" when I did "start". I am also not a "sugar" person, so I do not have any issues with avoiding sweets in general (sorry, to all who do). My downfall is all of the seasonings (I also went ahead & made all my own blends; taco, fajita, southwest, Italian, ranch, etc. before my start date). It was a big challenge for me as I LOVE all of the prepared seasoning & spice shakes & rubs, so not having all that (salty) flavor really challenged me at first. Now I like mine better! :) I am confident I will succeed, every day I make the choice to do even better somehow (drinking more water, working out an extra 5 mins, avoiding that little snack, making new meal plans, etc.). I stay focused but not obsessed. I am enjoying the new recipes I have made so far, too. Also, I make the conscience decision any time I'm around food to pay attention to what is there. I take it all in & make sure I do not "accidentally" eat something I shouldn't (example, I made my own mayo & ranch dressing the other night for dinner. While cleaning the dishes my daughter had left 1 baby carrot & regular ranch dressing on her plate. I grabbed that carrot, dipped in the ranch & stuck it in my mouth! SHOCKED, I spit it out, rinsed my mouth & then laughed out loud at the thought of myself spitting ranch dressing in the sink, but proud that I had immediately recognized my "mistake" before I ingested it). For me, having a FT job, 2 small children & husband who loves to eat, PLANNING is everything for me. I plan & prepare my next day meals each day & I took the book to heart. I have 3-5 meals in my freezer ready to go in a quick pinch, I am keeping boiled eggs & baked sweet potatoes ready at all times just in case, and I keep good food choices handy at work in the event I get stuck late at the office & am STARVING when I leave! I wish you the best, I am CONFIDENT you will get through this & so will I. Week 1 has FLOWN by for me, and I can't wait to get to week 2 for some more new recipes to try out! GOOD LUCK! (OH, even though I did great on my very first batch of homemade mayonnaise, MANY MANY people report multiple mayo fails. If yo are like me & LOVE mayo based everything I would suggest practicing & getting it down. I'm glad mine turned out good the first time because I HAD TO HAVE coleslaw at that very moment! Now I know to make sure & have it in the fridge always.  :)

Always have a plan. I cook once or twice a week, but know nearly every meal I'm going to eat a day or two before. The times I get caught without a meal, I end up making bad choices and even though the foods I eat are compliant, they don't follow the meal template. Set yourself up for success by intentionally prepping each meal. 

Archived