It has *only* been 30 days....

I'm solid on day 29 of my first Whole30 - day 30 will be no problem... I'm there.

Trouble is that I just think I'm getting the hang of things in the last few days.

I've finally gotten the fat/ protein/ carb balance of the template right for me... But I don't feel at all confident in my ability to start a reintr

Ugh... No editing...

I don't feel ready for reintroduction yet. I want more confidence with balancing my meals and keeping myself correctly nourished so I don't need to snack at all.

What is the right thing to do here?

I get that it is black and white/ all or nothing thinking to just stick with the Whole30 and that's not the intended plan.

I even think there has been advice given on this before but I can't seem to apply it to myself.

Should I just wait a while- I have no cravings to get anything back into my diet per say.

What I really miss is that I can't just go pig out on anything I want... I'd want it all- chips, pretzels, chocolate and bread slathered with butter. I think this is very 'not at peace with food' thinking. The only thing between me and an unhealthy free for all is 30 days 'sober' from all of this crap.

Yes: I have a strong and emerging sense of not wanting to put processed stuff in my body- but it is not solid.

I hope this question makes sense. What to do???

• Moderators

You definitely can continue to eat in this sustainable way but unfortunately it is not 'totally sustainable'.  You will eventually want to have a piece of cake or a taco or baileys in your coffee and you DO need to know how these things react with your body so that you can make an informed decision.

This is basically what the slow roll is for... keep going with your Whole30 but when something comes up that you think you want to participate in, go ahead... pay attention to how it makes you feel and then once that info is filed away, go back to a Whole30 style of eating.  The problem with this plan is if you do it and decide to have cake, cookies, ice cream and booze all on the same day, you're not going to know how each thing affects you.

how about you do one item per week?  So say dairy in your coffee next week and then a week off... then rice with your sushi and then a week off... then you're still very much 'on track' with the way of eating but you're doing the background work so that when that day comes that you want to eat XYZ, you'll know what the impacts are.

If you feel like you're just getting the hang of it, why don't you continue for another couple of weeks before trying the reintroduction phase. I do think it's important that you do the reintroduction, but giving yourself some extra time with the rules sounds like maybe that's what you need right now.

I decided that I liked having the day of my 'challenge' matching my commitment to myself. So: I stuck with the Whole30 template through 1/31 and starting with February 1st- today- I'm doing the template but reintro-ing Bacon that has sugar listed as an ingredient and milk for my coffee... Though I tried the milk in coffee and didn't like it. This will be 29 days and then I'll decide what's next.

Archived