Whole 30 Tantrum (day 27)

This is my third whole 30 and I did the first two without pause and very smoothly.  Whole 30 truly changed my life, the way I ate and the way I thought about food, so I was SOOO EXCITED to do another one now with my fiance doing his first.  

Except, the whole time I've been doing it, I have been STRUGGLING.  I'm sure some of it is that I haven't been experiencing the same magic results that I did for my first two.  For whatever reason, my acne has flared almost the whole 27 days, and I have not found that wonderful deep sleep that I got so accustomed to during my first two.  I've had more headaches and felt more under the weather the entire time too.  I'm really confused by what's going on here.  I haven't gone off plan, I've even give up caffeine because I was having a bad psychological response to my daily coffee.

I don't want to end this round being so frustrated with everything and I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm eating, or if it's something not food related (I moved to a new city, got a new job, got engaged, started planning a wedding, making new friends).  I don't want to stop the Whole 30 if it's something I can try and address with food, but my frustration is making me want to dive face first into a glass of wine.  I know about the extinction burst, but really, 27 days of it!?

• Moderators

After the first one (or two) Whole30s, people often find subsequent Whole30s more difficult to stick to and less amazing. It's pretty normal -- there's even this article about it. So I think some of it is probably that the new has worn off.

Stress is also a big factor -- even things that seem good and new and exciting are stressful, so moving, new job, new relationship status, giving up coffee, all of that can contribute. Eating well is always going to be good for you, but there may be more going on than just the food. Sorry I don't have any better answers for you, but you're definitely not the first person to go through this.

Stress all by itself can really wear you out and you've got a lot of changes going on in your life. It doesn't mean you're not happy with the changes, just that a lot of change can be stressful on the body.

If you're not taking any magnesium, you may want to start, it helps the body cope with stress.

If you haven't had any blood work done since all these big changes, you may be deficient in something like iron, which can make you really tired.

The thing that has changed isn't the Whole30, it's everything else, so you just might need a little tweaking.

Hang in there, in a few days you'll have done 90 Whole30 days in total! :D How awesome are you!

• 3 weeks later...

I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS! I am on Day 19 of my third Whole30 and am on a serious struggle bus!

I loved my first two W30. But this time around even though I hit "Tiger Blood" stage, I am looking longingly at a bottle of wine and thinking about the Dove Chocolates someone gave my for Valentine's Day. It's nice to know it's not just me. I am over cooking everything. I WANT PIZZA. Sigh.  :angry:

After reading the replies here, it's good to know that it could be the stress of a non-sleeping toddler. Or that I am possibly not fueling enough from running? But either way this is not a new thing. And it's good to know that I am not alone. Or wasn't b/c you've already finished! 

Archived