Dizzy, weak and tired on period

feather82

So this JUST happened to me. I usually have very light/short periods and this one came ten days early and in force. I have never had such a heavy period in my life. At the same time (without putting the two together) I went from 100 to zero feeling wise. I was exhausted beyond belief, brain fog, and just general "I don't care" feeling. I finally put the two together and I am just getting my act together again!!! It took two days after my period stopped to stabilize. No clue why this happened?

• Moderators

Hi. This is my first whole30 and I started my period on Thursday (day 18 of whole30). It's been one of the worst I've had with regards to energy and dizziness and just feeling so weak. Did anyone else experience anything like this? Any tips to help it get better?

You can list what you've been eating for the last few days if you like and we can see if there's anything that stands out there for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Omg I was literally just about to post this. My period started during week 3 of my Whole30. I'd already been feeling great for several days beforehand, and now I just feel WEAK. I get dizzy easily, I'm exhausted all the time. It feels like I'm coming down with something but this has been going on since Sunday and I haven't actually come down with anything...I just feel terrible.

I've been eating less, just because I get abdominal pain (different from menstrual cramps, it's really in my stomach) during my period so I'm just not hungry/interested in food. But that's the only difference.

• Moderators

Omg I was literally just about to post this. My period started during week 3 of my Whole30. I'd already been feeling great for several days beforehand, and now I just feel WEAK. I get dizzy easily, I'm exhausted all the time. It feels like I'm coming down with something but this has been going on since Sunday and I haven't actually come down with anything...I just feel terrible.

I've been eating less, just because I get abdominal pain (different from menstrual cramps, it's really in my stomach) during my period so I'm just not hungry/interested in food. But that's the only difference.

Not eating enough can cause dizziness and weakness. Is there anything you could eat? Maybe blended soup, or scrambled eggs, or a baked potato or sweet potato? Even if you feel you're not wanting food, it's important to eat.

Apparently when you are going through a detox your body uses your period as a way to detox and whole30 is essentially a detox. I have a friend who started paleo 3 years ago and had the same thing for her first 3 periods and then it settled down and she's had a better time since. I'm wondering if that was what happened because 2 days after it ended I was fine. I upped my intake of red meat and water and got some good stock from chicken and beef. I would say feed yourself even if you really don't fancy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Another period and I literally feel like I'm pregnant. Or getting the flu. I am SOOOOOO tired and weak. This started a day before the bleeding, so I don't think it's due to blood loss, and anyway I've never been anemic. I've upped my red meat and carbs, but it doesn't seem to be helping....

I am on day 25 of my first round of Whole30 and I am supposed to start my period next week. Yesterday and today I have been so exhausted, and fuzzy brained. I am chalking it up to PMS but I usually don't have any period symptoms other than cramps.

I am going to try red meat for dinner tonight.

I'm on day 10 day, and day 29 of my cycle so just about to come on. Have been doing really well up to today. Today - SO HUNGRY. So hungry. I have decided to just go with it and snack on allowed foods, is this the right thing to do? This isn't unusual for me to feel like this, but instead of just sitting at my desk and really wanting some fruit, I just had it. I'm pretty good at curbing cravings normally and have really been on point. I guess if we stay on plan it's ok?

• Administrators

I'm on day 10 day, and day 29 of my cycle so just about to come on. Have been doing really well up to today. Today - SO HUNGRY. So hungry. I have decided to just go with it and snack on allowed foods, is this the right thing to do? This isn't unusual for me to feel like this, but instead of just sitting at my desk and really wanting some fruit, I just had it. I'm pretty good at curbing cravings normally and have really been on point. I guess if we stay on plan it's ok?

Hi AGT, many women feel an increase in hunger (even up to double their normal appetite) leading up to and during their period. This is totally normal.  However, we still do not want you to graze.  Eat a larger meal and then if you are hungry later on, eat another meal.  Keep your food balanced as per the template, even if you are eating more meals than you normally do. Include protein, veggies and fat.  Up your starchy veggie intake to counterbalance those cravings for sweets.  Your brain knows that normally when it needs more "energy" around your period, you probably gave it sweets and grain-y carbs before.  Giving in to the desire for sweets, even with fruit and even during your period, still plays into the Sugar Dragon.  Feed yourself more real food, don't eat fruit alone, don't graze.  And after all the don't? Here's a "do".  Do be nice to yourself, do take it easy, do rest more, do eat food, do believe that although society tells us to go hungry you know better and you'll feed your body.

Happy Friday!  :)

Hi AGT, many women feel an increase in hunger (even up to double their normal appetite) leading up to and during their period. This is totally normal.  However, we still do not want you to graze.  Eat a larger meal and then if you are hungry later on, eat another meal.  Keep your food balanced as per the template, even if you are eating more meals than you normally do. Include protein, veggies and fat.  Up your starchy veggie intake to counterbalance those cravings for sweets.  Your brain knows that normally when it needs more "energy" around your period, you probably gave it sweets and grain-y carbs before.  Giving in to the desire for sweets, even with fruit and even during your period, still plays into the Sugar Dragon.  Feed yourself more real food, don't eat fruit alone, don't graze.  And after all the don't? Here's a "do".  Do be nice to yourself, do take it easy, do rest more, do eat food, do believe that although society tells us to go hungry you know better and you'll feed your body.

Happy Friday!   :)

Thanks for your lovely post. I didn't know about the templates, so am having a look now! Thank you! 

Archived