Day 31 and Beyond

ShellyW

Today I will ride my own bike!  I am excited to transition to this phase of the Whole 30.  After I did my first Whole 30 a couple years ago I went on vacation (was driving to my destination on day 29) and didn't do a formal reintroduction, it was more of a slow roll.  This time around I want to go by the book.  I don't plan on doing my reintro over 10 days, because I will be continuing to eat Whole 30 with the occasional SWYPO paleo recipe thrown in.  When I do go off-road I will limit it to one group at a time and follow it up with 2 days of Whole 30 goodness.  It might take me 6 months to try everything I've eliminated, but that's what feels right for me now.  I am keeping this log to help me track my progress and keep myself moving towards a healthier me.

I am allowing myself a diet soda today.  I am not a soda junkie and only drink 1-2 a week.  The first few sips were delicious, but now I am kind of over it.  I don't feel bad and I am enjoying it, but I think the idea of it was better than it is in reality. 

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm surprised -- soda tasted really awful to me when I tried it after my first Whole30. To the point that 18 months later, I still haven't had more than a sip or two.

ThyPeace, all taste buds differ!

I definitely felt like the soda was anticlimactic.  It was good, I enjoyed it, but after having it I know I can take it or leave it.  It didn't make me feel bad, cause any cravings, or anything like that.  I won't go out of my way to have one, but wouldn't hesitate to have one with a meal in a restaurant or something like that.  Sometimes I just get tired of water, tea and black coffee.

I have held off on doing any food reintros as we've had a nasty north wind blowing here for a couple days and it's brought on a bit of a headache.  I want to feel good when I try any non-compliant foods so I can fairly judge how they make me feel.  This morning the wind was gone and I woke up headache free, so we'll see what the day brings.  I really don't feel the need to add much back food wise.  Yesterday I did have an energy drink, the white can, zero ultra.  I just love the flavor and have missed it.  MISTAKE!  Within 20 minutes I felt slightly nauseous and wanted to jump out of my skin.  It was definitely NOT worth it.  Even though I am a little disappointed that it made me feel awful I can now walk away from something I loved, but knew was not good for me.  I'll call that a small victory and happily take it.

So far I have tried dairy.  My boyfriend and I had a rare opportunity to meet for lunch and I jumped at the chance.  I ordered a chicken, avocado and bacon salad knowing it came with ranch dressing, but not expecting the cheese (ask questions, lesson learned!).  The salad was good, it didn't need the cheese and honestly I could have made a dairy free dressing that was just as good, but what the heck I'm supposed to be doing reintroduction!  No ill effects from the dairy over the last couple days.  In fact, I actually slept 7 1/2 hours that night, the most I've slept in ages.  To be fair it probably wasn't enough dairy to cause a problem unless I am really sensitive.  Thankfully I'm not.  I won't be seeking out dairy, but will try it again in a more significant quantity to get a better test of my response.

I managed to survive the first weekend post Whole 30.  My alcohol reintroduction didn't go great.  I wasn't feeling so well the next day and definitely overdid it.  I've stayed pretty clean with my food though.  Yesterday I did have some candies that were on the food table at the Superbowl party and tried 2 beer battered shrimp.  This morning my stomach was a little upset, so I will have to get strict again and try sugar and grain separately to see which one was responsible for my loose bowel movements today (sorry for TMI).

After my weekend splurge I am starting to feel better.  This morning my sweet potato, sausage, bell pepper and onion hash was beyond delicious.  My stomach (and my taste buds) are happy to be back to "normal".  I'm happy to know that I can quickly recover from a day of less healthy choices as long as I don't go too crazy and get right back to those good choices.  The next couple weeks are free from social obligations so temptation won't be as much of an issue.  Valentine's Day is easy as a steamed lobster tail, perfectly cooked filet and artichoke fit nicely into Whole 30 eating.

I have found similar things with reintroductions.  Getting back to the healthier foods feels so much better.  And wow.  Lobster tail, filet, and artichoke sounds like an incredible meal!

ThyPeace, the only artichoke fan in her household at the moment, so I get them when everyone else is gone.

Growing up Valentine's Day was always a family celebration.  My dad always gave my mom and all of us girls roses, and he got chocolate (usually a giant Hershey's kiss).  Then, we would have a special dinner in the dining room with the china.  Usually my grandparents came to dinner.  Dessert was individual heart shaped coeur a la creme with strawberry or raspberry sauce.  I've tried to keep that tradition alive with my family.  My youngest son is already asking about the dessert.  I've made it every one of his 13 years, but he's still got to be sure!  I lead our 4-H club's baking project and tonight I am sharing this dessert recipe with my aspiring bakers.  Guess I'm just a sucker for traditions!

Wow, that's quite a tradition!  My family has traditions around Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Easter, and Christmas, but not much else.  Well, okay.  And having popcorn for dinner some Sundays when my parents were both tired out from yard work!

ThyPeace, misses popcorn sometimes!

I have decided that I need a little more Whole 30 time.  Food doesn't seem to be making me feel physically bad, but I feel like my emotional relationship with food is not where I'd like it to be.  I'm not going crazy, or binging on unhealthy stuff, but over the weekend I feel like my food choices were definitely less healthy and I don't want to back slide into old habbits.  Having PMS and being surrounded by Valentine's Day chocolate was definitely a problem.   My experience with my first Whole 30 was that the benefits of 30 days of clean, healthy food choices lasted for a few months as I slowly went back to my old ways.  By the time the holidays came around I had almost completely left behind the lessons I'd learned.  When my grandma passed away 4 days after Christmas it was no big deal to join the rest of my extended family in plenty of catered food and cocktails as we reminisced and celebrated by grandma's life and grieved her passing.   One day I woke up and all of the Whole 30 benefits were gone, spent, wasted.  Before that happens I want to turn around.  I'm not going a full 30 days, but I need to get back into the mindset of Whole 30 where those less healthy foods are just off limits.  Guess I'm still trying to figure things out.

This morning's meal was scrambled egg whites with bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms, spinach and garlic topped with hollindaise sauce.  I LOVE hollindaise sauce, but I rarely make it because I don't like wasting the whites, or trying to figure out what to do with them late.  I don't know why it never occurred to me to just scramble them up with my veggies, DUH!  Maybe it's because I'm partial to poached eggs with my hollindaise, but for a weekday breakfast this was perfect!

Lunch will be chicken bone broth with kale, spinach and chard with homemade almond flour noodles.  I know it's SWYPO, but since I'm not officially doing another Whole 30 I think it's fine.  Bone broth has become a must have for me after my Whole 30, so I am really looking forward to my chicken noodle soup.

I think that's part of learning what Whole30 really means -- the trip back to other ways of eating, and finding out that it really does make a difference.  Hope you are able to continue to treat yourself well and kindly as you work through this journey!

ThyPeace, likes hollandaise sauce too.  And Chicken soup.  Almond flour noodles, however, I've never had.  What do you think of them?

Archived