1st reintro - GF oatmeal

beverlyb30

I had GF oatmeal for breakfast this morning as I'm starting with non-gluten grains. I'm feeling a bit headache-y and a bit "off" energy-wise and a little brain-foggy. I had almond milk and a banana in it and I had an egg on the side for protein (no added sweetener). I'm wondering if the way I feel is because of the oatmeal itself or because my breakfast didn't fit the meal template (not enough protein or fat, no veggies, too much fruit).  I'm thinking the latter and plant to continue with non-gluten grains for the rest of the day,  but will make sure my meals have the recommended amount of protein, fat and vegetables. 

This is a really sad revelation for me - I used to love having oatmeal for breakfast, but I don't know how to fit it into a well-balanced meal that will not leave me feeling unwell, so I might have to avoid having that kind of breakfast. I really missed it.

• Moderators

My guess would be you're right about it being more about the carb heaviness of your meal than the oatmeal itself, although pay attention to how you feel when you have non-gluten grains along with a more template meal to make sure.

I hear you on the missing oatmeal for breakfast. You could try having less of it, with more eggs or maybe some breakfast sausage if you occasionally do want it, still not the ideal template meal but more protein might help offset the yucky feeling. I have found I like creamy soups for breakfast if I'm wanting something warm and comforting in the morning, so that might be a good option too.

When I eat oats, I stir 2 beaten eggs into them while they are still cooking. When they are finished, I top it with a spoonful of coconut oil and a pinch of salt. Eaten this way I have the same consistent energy and good feeling that I get from a Whole30 template breakfast.

For those who don't have food sensitivites...oatmeal can act as a prebiotic and behaves nicely with probiotics while you're tooling along Riding Your Bike.  :) A golf ball of oatmeal in the morning can be soothing, with cinnamon and nutmeg.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8785649&fileId=S0007114512000281

Although oatmeal is great for some people, it isn't for everyone. I tried to keep eating it but eventually I couldn't ignore that I have a problem with oats. Oatmeal makes me sick, not as bad as gluten, but oats are on my "never eat" list now.

Coeliac Australia does not recommend any celiac consumes oats as in studies, most celiacs have a reaction to it (we have tougher standards on "gluten free" here than the USA), regardless of whether it's classed as wheat or gluten free.

I have trouble with all of these grains, the more "wholegrain" the worse I feel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolamin

Even if oats aren't for you, there's lots of other non-gluten grains.

I have no trouble with buckwheat or quinoa and no reactions from white rice (brown rice is not okay though).

• 3 weeks later...

This is good to know!  I'm on Day 16 and GF oatmeal was one of the first things I wanted to re-introduce.  I think I have eaten GF oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins, and slivered almonds almost every day for two years. I love oatmeal and miss it the most.

There are those who don't suffer with food sensitivities and can handle almost everything some of the time.  

I'm totally nervous. For about the past year, I ate oatmeal at LEAST twice a day. I realize this was extreme. I miss it, but now that I know it was making me spike and crash, well . . . .

Sorry to derail. I'd agree with those who say to up your fat/protein and bump down the oatmeal content.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that I re-introduced GF Oatmeal and seem to be fine with it.  I actually chose it to be the first thing to try after my Whole 30.  I wanted to be sure it was okay so I didn't introduce anything else.  Yay!  I do realize now, tho, that having it EVERY morning probably was a bit extreme.  I make it with water (I do miss the skim milk), cinnamon, raisins, and a compliant nut.  If I don't have raisins I use blueberries. Yay!

Today was reintroduction day #1 for me. I reintroduced GF oatmeal as well. I had oatmeal made with wwater and cinnamon topped with a banana and coconut flakes. I was hungry 3 hours later. Next time I will add some protein and more fat. I like the idea of having it with a side of sausage or mixing eggs and coconut oil into it. Great suggestions. 

So far my energy is fine and nothing else feels different.  :)

I'm three months down the reintroduction path (yes, it was a slow roll) and I have oatmeal once a week or so, with cinnamon, raisins, a little blackstrap molasses and almond milk. It's great on certain mornings when I sleep later and/or don't have a demanding AM schedule, etc and I really love having oatmeal in my diet--it's satisfying and comforting in its own unique way.  :)

The best part of life after Whole 30 for me is being able to eat whatever I choose AND to be able to choose based on my health goals.

• 9 months later...

After a 7 day mini-reset reintroduced Quaker Oatmeal today. Unfortunately it left me totally feeling awful. Low energy, foggy brain, somewhat depressed. I love oatmeal and use was using it a lot before doing the whole30.  I made it with almond milk, banana and blueberry. I also had un-curred bacon on the side.  I did have 1.25 servings rather than just one serving. I can't believe how bad this made me feel. Quaker only has trace amounts of gluten so I don't think I can blame the gluten. Not sure what it is about the oats. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, mjcaron said:

After a 7 day mini-reset reintroduced Quaker Oatmeal today. Unfortunately it left me totally feeling awful. Low energy, foggy brain, somewhat depressed. I love oatmeal and use was using it a lot before doing the whole30.  I made it with almond milk, banana and blueberry. I also had un-curred bacon on the side.  I did have 1.25 servings rather than just one serving. I can't believe how bad this made me feel. Quaker only has trace amounts of gluten so I don't think I can blame the gluten. Not sure what it is about the oats. 

If you've been eating protein, fat, and vegetables according to the meal template, especially if you were eating mostly non-starchy vegetables, it could be the amount of carbs in general (there would be carbs in the oatmeal itself, plus the banana and blueberry), or the lack of protein (bacon is more fat than protein). Many non-gluten grains do have proteins similar to gluten, which can affect people in much the same way that gluten does, so it could be that.

If you are really sensitive to gluten, there could be enough gluten to cause the same reactions that wheat or other gluten grains would -- I know one of the other mods here, who is I think in the UK or maybe it was someone from Australia, mentioned that they cannot sell oats in that country as gluten free, as their standards are stricter than those in the US.

I didn't think eating heavy carbs would make me feel that way but it makes sense.  Carb coma perhaps!! Especially since I've eaten a low carb diet for this long.  I'll give it another try and include more protein next time.  Thanks for the response. I'v been searching all day :)   

• 7 months later...

It's day 33 for me and I decided to start with reintroducing gluten free oatmeal for breakfast. It was made with almond milk and cinnamon and had bannanas and strawberries on top. I also had an iced coffee with almond milk with it. Ever since (I had it for breakfast and its now 4pm) I have been feeling like I have a lump sitting in my throat and stomach. Is this a sensitivity side-effect? Wondering also if the problem is the coffee or the oatmeal. I am generally more of a  tea drinker and stuck to tea during Whole 30, so it could be either. 

Was planning on also trying other gluten free grains tonight but not sure how I should proceed now. Any advice?

• Moderators

@msbailey you can do the other reintros you were planning if you want to, or if the food is already bought and prepared and won't keep, but it might make sense to wait at least two days and then try again. If you do that, maybe don't have the coffee with the oatmeal for breakfast, just do one or the other, to narrow down which caused the problem. 

For some people, some grains do kind of feel heavy, but if you feel like it's in any way making it hard to breathe or if it feels like your throat is swollen, that would be a potentially serious reaction, and you would want to talk to your doctor. I'm assuming you're talking more about the kind of over-stuffed feeling you might have after a big meal, which is definitely uncomfortable and might be enough to make you not think oatmeal is really worth it.

Archived