Help! I started C25K today!

curlyj88

I finished my first Whole30 yesterday! :) I achieved some of my goals (am still working on the others), but I am continuing without stopping and making it a Whole60. I didn't make exercise a focus during the last month simply because I felt like my plate was already overflowing (acne, severe eczema, energy, sleep). For the next 30 days (and beyond), I want to bring exercise into the picture and so today (day 31), I started C25K. I've attempted this program twice before - the first time I made it to 4 weeks, the second time to 7 weeks...and since three times is lucky, this time I am going to complete the program and make it the full 9 weeks! I hope :P.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done the C25K while doing Whole30? Do you have any recommendations for me? In the past, I found I have simply gotten lazy and once I miss one run, then why not 2...3.. and then it's over from there. I also don't like running in the heat, thus another reason why I waited for the cooler weather to arrive.

Should I be following the pre workout and post workout guidelines even if the beginning of the program isn't super intense? (If so, ideas for pre and post workout meals please!!). Well, this morning was pretty rough but my body was just getting used to it I guess. With warm up and cool down, I did walking/running intervals for 3.5 km (I was gone for about 30 minutes). The program has you run three times a week.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Curly J

I can't answer your Whole30/C25K questions, however I will say that you made it on 30 days of the Whole30 you can absolutely make it through C25K!!! I have done the C25K (before Whole30 was around) and was so very proud of myself for doing it and completing a few 5k's. I have since been injured and unable to run like I would like. C25K made me fall in love with running (I was never athletic) and I desperately miss it! My husband and I did just sign up for the Color Run in Chicago next month, but it is a fun run and I will be doing a lot of walking! That's another thought...find a 5k in your area that is right about the time you are "done" with the C25K and register for it. Maybe then you will be more accountable with yourself on following through with the program :) Good luck!!

I love the C25K program, I had been away from running for more than 5 years and just completed the 9 week program...It was exhilarating! I'm so glad to be back in a running routine and I LOVE the 3x per week training...anymore than that and I start not looking forward to my run! As for C25K and W30...I can't imagine adjusting the program at all and for me I did not add pre or post workout meals. 30 minutes of moderately easy exercise doesn't seem to warrant any additional nutrition for me...of course, you could be very different than me so keep that in mind and try different things. Good luck with your continuing W30 and the C25k program...stick with them both, you'll be so happy you did!!!

I did the c25k and although I wasn't doing it with whole 30 I did do it without sugar and very low carb.

It was the BEST thing i have ever done physically for myself.The program was great and by the end of it I ran a portion the Belfast marathon(the 10k leg).

I am super keen to get back at it but sprained my ankle 5 weeks ago and still not recovered.

Enjoy and congratulations on all your good work!

Not to deter you from exercising, but do you really want to do the C25K? I ask, because you're asking how to get motivated to do it. The best exercise is one that you'll do because you love.

This is why I'm a cyclist and not a runner. ;) I have to force myself to run, but all it takes is seeing the sun to make me long to be on my bike. There's no will power or effort to it - I just love doing that.

I'd say, give it your all again, but if you find yourself dreading it, maybe it would be worth considering another activity that you won't have to make yourself stick to.

As for your question regarding how you eat around it - I'd go with listening to your body. If you feel like you've had an intense workout, then you probably need to follow those suggestions. But, if in the beginning you don't feel it was that intense, just eat like you normally would.

Curlyj88 - I can't give you advice on the C25K program but I can relate to the prior starting and stopping of exercise programs. I can tell you what worked for me...

January 1st I made a New Year's Resolution to "Move my as$ for 30 minutes a day doing SOMETHING," It didn't matter what it was, how intense, or how many calories burned. The purpose of the resolution was to create an exercise HABIT so I could be healthy for the rest of my life, not to lose weight. I set the bar really low so I would have absolutely no excuse not to do it. A 30 minute walk. Three 10 minute walks. Walking in place while watching a TV show. Anything that involves INTENTIONAL MOVEMENT counts. Regular chores or errands don't count for me. I am very, very proud to say I have not missed a single day of exercise all year. It is habit now. I work with a trainer 3x/week for 30 minutes, but I still walk on those days too. Two days a week I run. Some days I might return to the gym for another 10 minutes of particular exercise, or I might do pushups at home. I was never a regular exerciser for more than 3-6 months in my entire life. And here I am about to finish month number nine with no signs of slowing down. Sorry to write a book here, but I just thought I would share what finally made me commit to exercise on a regular basis. It is an integral part of who I am now and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your C25K! I have run a few races this year (after a fifteen year lapse) and I am hooked!

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everyone!

When I did the C25K last in April and I reached the point of being able to run 10-15 minutes without stopping, I felt AMAZING! I felt so strong and confident that I was able to run for that long and not feel like completely passing out. I enjoy running, but sometimes it's just hard to get my butt off the couch! It doesn't help that we live in a super hilly area so I have to drive 3-4 minutes to a trail (mostly flat with a few inclines).

I'm super excited and curious how combining C25K with Whole30 will affect my energy and weight/muscle!

Archived