January 2016 Alumni - Post-Whole30ers

praxisproject

Praxis Project I just want to say thank you for all your help and support over this time. You have been fantastic and so supportive and knowledgeable, I've really appreciated your input as well as Sugarcube's and the other moderators who have checked in. Thank you all so much!!

I did my measurements this morning and weighed myself at the gym (we don't have scales in the house). I think I was a bit reluctant to do this because I'm so happy with how I feel and how my clothes are fitting rather than numbers. But anyhow, there has been some significant changes according to "numbers" for what they are worth  ;) . There has been a 4cm loss in my bust measurements (namely my back); 6cm loss in my waist measurement; 6cm loss in my hips and a 5cm loss in my thighs. I've also lost 5kgs according to the scales at the gym. I'm not a large person by any means and weight loss wasn't the key priority for me, rather it was just getting healthier and fitter but I tend to think if that weight has come off with me eating 3 good meals a day and exercise (and not being hungry) then maybe I'm just getting to the weight and body size my body should be. If I get brave enough I will post some pics of the changes-happy to see the beginnings of a six pack developing though.  :D

Today I had heavy cream in my coffee and some cheese in scrambled eggs. I ended up having to take a benedryl afterwards, but I've been having more allergy issues than usual lately. (eyes and ears constantly itchy, can't go down the detergent aisle without a reaction, getting headaches from strong smells, lip/chin area burning after eating, etc.) This has gotten progressively worse over the last two weeks, so I've been wondering if something I've been eating doesn't agree with me even though it is Whole 30 compliant. Tomorrow I plan to cut out nuts and nightshades and see if that improves things.

I have been pretty down that I haven't felt any better. When I weighed this morning I had only lost three pounds which was a bummer as well. I keep trying to remind myself that this is a process and results will come as I stick with it.

All right! I'm glad our group will have a new place to share. It has been really helpful.

Day 31, I decided to remain compliant, but have a couple of glasses of wine. It was delicious, but I don't feel like I want this every day, for sure. Next 2 days clean, and then I'll hit the lentils.

happy February - 

I'm following the order suggested in the Whole 30 book and reintroduced legumes today. Had a white mocha with soy milk this morning. Didn't taste that great; I don't know if it was the soy milk or me just not being used to sweetened coffee. This afternoon I had an apple with peanut butter and it was so delicious! Then for dinner I had peas with steak and cauliflower mash. Haven't noticed any side effects, although I did feel that the soy/coffee moved my digestion faster than usual. Back to Whole 30 for 2 days and then onto non-gluten grains!

I'm going with the slow roll this time around since I've done the reintros many times..

One thing we did add today, for our guests, was ingrident compliant sorbet with dinner. A little too SWPO for normal whole30. We used coconut milk, coconut water, frozen fruit and some fresh fruit and served a small, like 3 spoonfuls, dish to each person with dinner (though everyone ate it at the end as a "dessert"). Not too bad.. I'll count it as okay and keep on keeping on. :) no sugar dragon peering from the deep dark place he's kept!

I am slow rolling though yesterday I did re intro peanut butter (legumes). It was just something I really wanted and craving now gone and I am over it so I don't see myself adding it back in anytime soon. 

Surprising that I did not want that glass of wine so I will hold off on alcohol. I don't feel the need to add back sugar either so I am just going to cruise for awhile eating W30 ish. 

This time around, I will do a separate re intro for sulfites before adding back alcohol because I am curious.

Hey team...

Just another W30 day in paradise for me.  I am continuing on and doing pretty well.  On day 31, I took measurements and weighed myself then just kept on keeping on.

I lost 9 Lbs and 5 inches off my chest, waist and hips.  I am OK with this but there is more work to do.  I remain on the W30 plan and making progress.

I wanted to thank you all for your input, commentary, success stories and laughs along the way.  The group aspect of this challenge is pretty important for success and this Jan 1 group was a pretty impressive group.  It takes some effort to do the W30 and it take some gumption to be willing to come online regularly to share this journey with relative strangers.  In many other settings we would never share the thoughts, concerns, challenges and personal information like we have done over the last 30+ days.  This is a big complement to each of us that we are willing to share and a big win for the W30 team, moderators and support staff for making a safe, open, and comfortable place to meet and become a group.  The W30 Forum is a valuable tool for many following the W30 process.

Thanks to all!

Cheers

DJ

Feeling the repercussions from the dairy I had yesterday. Woke up with a massive migraine, coughing, congestion, throat drainage, etc. Ended up leaving work and taking sick leave. Am now heading to bed hoping to sleep this off.

Hi, I just completed my 30 days yesterday. The excitement for me is getting that 30 days under my belt. Now the real work begins to figure out what I'm going to eat on a regular basis.

What I miss the most are green peas, so I'm starting with that. Then corn, because my partner is a corn farmer and it would make life a lot easier if I could accept corn into my life and onto my plate. :) Then I'm going to try an omelet with cheese, because that is the only dairy I really miss, and not even that much, so if I have to break up with cheese, I'm good with that.

On the flip side, I ate too many white potatoes on my 30 days, so need to cut back on those substantially. Once a week is fine. Every day is not.

I'm going the slow roll route and introduce things as I encounter them. I introduced bread at a family cookout on Sunday via hamburger bun. I had immediate bloating and a stomachache. I already knew that cheese was messing with me from previous Whole30s,, but I didn't really do a proper gluten reintroduction because of sheer laziness. This was happening before the Whole30, but I didn't know for sure what was causing it. Now that I have that one pinpointed, I'll definitely think twice about eating bread or baked goods.

Good to see a lot of the group here!

I am really happy to be able to check in from time to time as I do re-intro.

Speaking of which, my husband and I had dinner at another couples house last night.  Red wine, big green salad (w/compliant dressing that I brought), scallops, rice/quinoa and rum cake…I had some of everything. Must say I had the best sleep I've had in a month (good ol' red wine !) but now very much looking forward to 2 days of "compliance" to get back to a baseline.

One of my big NSV's this month was complete relief of some fairly chronic hip pain. Really tight hip flexors when I'd do my 4 mile walk and subsequent low-back pain from all the stiffness in the hips. GONE on whole30…but I noticed a definite "twinge" in one hip when I got up this morning….hmmm.

I'm looking forward to reading about other's re-intro journeys.

Be Well, everyone !

Because I forgot to start reintros yesterday, I decided to do a treat that was compliant ingredient-wise but was off roading nonetheless . I got a Daiya frozen pizza. It's dairy, glucose and soy free. Big mistake. Ate too much and it wasn't even that good. It's the first food f on a box I've bought in months and months. I studied the label more (after I ate it it,of course) and the phrase "frankenfood " came to mind. No after effects today other than my realization of a less than optimal choice I made. I'm doing W30 for a few days, then doing legumes reintro. I'm thinking peanut butter, chickpeas and plain old regular peas.

I reintro'd regular peas tonight. Expected nothing because they have never seemed to bother me before and I love peas.  But now I have a stomach ache.  :(  Will take the next couple of days before trying them again.

Yay for everyone doing their reintros! :D It can be scary but it's really worth it.

For anyone who is disappointed in their scale loss, I really want you to look at this picture with the scale comparison:

http://saltwaterfit.com/why-the-scale-doesnt-tell-the-full-story/

This is one of the reasons why so many people have a messed up relationship with scales. They don't measure health, they're actually pretty crap at it (a lot of athletes weigh in as obese due to their muscle mass). Muscle is active, it burns fat while you sleep (fat doesn't burn anything). Every ounce of muscle you add helps you with your health and not just by burning fat. Studies show again and again that loss of muscle mass goes hand in hand with a decline in health (I've been through this myself, when my body ate my own muscles due to not eating enough).

Last but certainly not least, take some time to reflect on your 30 days, the things you've learned, the new things you've tried and any changes in yourself. I'm sure some of you thought you couldn't do it (or maybe other people around you thought you couldn't). You did and you should be proud :)

Today I had heavy cream in my coffee and some cheese in scrambled eggs. I ended up having to take a benedryl afterwards, but I've been having more allergy issues than usual lately. (eyes and ears constantly itchy, can't go down the detergent aisle without a reaction, getting headaches from strong smells, lip/chin area burning after eating, etc.) This has gotten progressively worse over the last two weeks, so I've been wondering if something I've been eating doesn't agree with me even though it is Whole 30 compliant. Tomorrow I plan to cut out nuts and nightshades and see if that improves things.

I have been pretty down that I haven't felt any better. When I weighed this morning I had only lost three pounds which was a bummer as well. I keep trying to remind myself that this is a process and results will come as I stick with it.

Dairy milk & cream can trigger pollen related allergies as well as the dairy ones. I'd hold off from reintros for a couple of extra days and see how you feel.

Do you eat bananas, avocado or plantains? (latex) Kiwi or pineapple? (certain enzymes) Nuts also contain things that a lot of people have trouble with. I would try cutting out fruit & nuts before nightshades.

Weight loss won't show much on a scale while you're having allergic reactions as they boost your inflammation.

Feeling the repercussions from the dairy I had yesterday. Woke up with a massive migraine, coughing, congestion, throat drainage, etc. Ended up leaving work and taking sick leave. Am now heading to bed hoping to sleep this off.

Oh, I hope you feel better soon. Take some extra days if you're not feeling good, before any other reintros.

On the flip side, I ate too many white potatoes on my 30 days, so need to cut back on those substantially. Once a week is fine. Every day is not.

If you feel you have a problem with white potatoes, it's something to look at, but every day is okay. Some people find the switch to sweet potatoes changes their habits.

I'm going the slow roll route and introduce things as I encounter them. I introduced bread at a family cookout on Sunday via hamburger bun. I had immediate bloating and a stomachache. I already knew that cheese was messing with me from previous Whole30s,, but I didn't really do a proper gluten reintroduction because of sheer laziness. This was happening before the Whole30, but I didn't know for sure what was causing it. Now that I have that one pinpointed, I'll definitely think twice about eating bread or baked goods.

Gluten really messes with my health, it took me a long time to accept it (I'd eaten it my whole life) but when I cut it out for good, I've never felt healthier :)

Red wine, big green salad (w/compliant dressing that I brought), scallops, rice/quinoa and rum cake…I had some of everything. Must say I had the best sleep I've had in a month (good ol' red wine !) but now very much looking forward to 2 days of "compliance" to get back to a baseline.

One of my big NSV's this month was complete relief of some fairly chronic hip pain. Really tight hip flexors when I'd do my 4 mile walk and subsequent low-back pain from all the stiffness in the hips. GONE on whole30…but I noticed a definite "twinge" in one hip when I got up this morning….hmmm.

I'm looking forward to reading about other's re-intro journeys.

Be Well, everyone !

Be careful reintroing so many things at once. If you have a reaction, you'll have no idea what caused it. A lot of people notice sore joints and aches go away without gluten (if that was in your rum cake).

Because I forgot to start reintros yesterday, I decided to do a treat that was compliant ingredient-wise but was off roading nonetheless . I got a Daiya frozen pizza. It's dairy, glucose and soy free. Big mistake. Ate too much and it wasn't even that good. It's the first food f on a box I've bought in months and months. I studied the label more (after I ate it it,of course) and the phrase "frankenfood " came to mind. No after effects today other than my realization of a less than optimal choice I made. I'm doing W30 for a few days, then doing legumes reintro. I'm thinking peanut butter, chickpeas and plain old regular peas.

Not sure what your ones have in them, but I get big reactions from these kinds of products. They often have wholegrain flours (including things like sorghum & brown rice, which make me feel sick), fake cheese and canola oil (which gives me inflammation and general feelings of crappy).

My thought about peas is that I didn't love them as much as I thought I would. And I was kind of disappointed that they gave me a stomach ache. Not a bad one, that would push peas off my plate forever, just enough that I don't care to add them back on a regular basis. Strange because I used to eat them by the bushel.

I'll try corn in a couple of days. For now, I'm happy to have a couple of W30 days to "recover". :)

Today was a typical day:

M1 - 3 poached eggs, apple and almond butter (No veggies)

M2 - Steak, Kale/cabbage salad and a small banana

M3 - Steak, Kale/cabbage salad

I made 4 steaks yesterday and they were really good so I will likely have #3 today again for dinner.  My family is having Taco Tuesday so I am on my own.  Nothing beats a good steak and salad meal!

Cheers

DJ

Today was a typical day:

M1 - 3 poached eggs, apple and almond butter (No veggies)

M2 - Steak, Kale/cabbage salad and a small banana

M3 - Steak, Kale/cabbage salad

I made 4 steaks yesterday and they were really good so I will likely have #3 today again for dinner.  My family is having Taco Tuesday so I am on my own.  Nothing beats a good steak and salad meal!

Cheers

DJ

Taco Tuesday is one of my favorite Whole30 days!!!

We make bulk taco seasoning without sugar, cook pepper, onions with ground beef.. then eat it with homemade salsa, guac and use butter lettuce as the "taco shell". 

Dairy milk & cream can trigger pollen related allergies as well as the dairy ones. I'd hold off from reintros for a couple of extra days and see how you feel.

Do you eat bananas, avocado or plantains? (latex) Kiwi or pineapple? (certain enzymes) Nuts also contain things that a lot of people have trouble with. I would try cutting out fruit & nuts before nightshades.

Weight loss won't show much on a scale while you're having allergic reactions as they boost your inflammation.

I haven't noticed much with bananas or avocado - mostly with apples (though I seem to be okay if I don't eat the peel) and nuts/seeds/butters. I'm cutting out the nightshades also as I already knew white potatoes cause my fibromyalgia to flare up and I've had a major flare after a week of eating tomatoes every day.

Its sad how the number on the scale has such an impact - I was feeling pleased because I could fit into jeans I couldn't wear a month ago, but I got bummed because the number on my scale didn't go down as much as I thought it should.

I'm holding off on any more reintros for now - except for the occasional pack of stevia. There's nothing I'm really craving now, so I want to give myself more time to recuperate from my dairy fiasco.

praxisproject, on 02 Feb 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

For anyone who is disappointed in their scale loss, I really want you to look at this picture with the scale comparison:

http://saltwaterfit....the-full-story/

Love the images! I lost 4 pounds during my Whole30 but my clothes are hanging off me. I don't exercise particularly however my shape is really changed. Folks around me are astonished when they hear the number but see how I look. The number I'm most watching is the size of my clothes - getting smaller and smaller since I started this journey last year. Thanks for keeping us on track.

Tomorrow- legumes. Onward!

Well, I'm heading for my legume re-intro tomorrow. I had wine on Sunday night, probably should have stuck to just one glass. Not a great night! But it was no problem going back to the straight and narrow yesterday and today, so I'll dive into some lentils tomorrow. Love, love, love lentils. I'll start with red lentils because they are the easiest to cook until they are really soft. I have no interest in peanut butter at all, and thank W30 for the discovery of sunflower seed butter. It is amazing on thin slices of apple.  The only other legume I really miss is home cooked chickpeas (hate the canned ones), but I don't have time to make them until Thursday. I might do two light days rather than one big one for re-intro unless I have a huge reaction. Then I'll still do at least two days in between reintroductions. 

Need more exercise! Gym in the morning. It should be nice and quiet - a good dump of snow is due in the early hours. Yes!! (I take the metro (aka subway) to work - no driving needed)

Hello All,

I am still following W30 and eating compliant. I am feeling good and so glad I am eating this way. I am not reintroducing any food yet as I did not make 30 days. It was my first time doing a W30 and I was not prepared one day and it caught up to me; lesson learned! I am looking forward to going the distance this time. 

Archived