January 2016 Alumni - Post-Whole30ers

praxisproject

praxisproject, on 02 Feb 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

For anyone who is disappointed in their scale loss, I really want you to look at this picture with the scale comparison:

http://saltwaterfit....the-full-story/

Love the images! I lost 4 pounds during my Whole30 but my clothes are hanging off me. I don't exercise particularly however my shape is really changed. Folks around me are astonished when they hear the number but see how I look. The number I'm most watching is the size of my clothes - getting smaller and smaller since I started this journey last year. Thanks for keeping us on track.

Tomorrow- legumes. Onward!

The link takes me back to the Forums home page.  Can you post the entire URL so I can try to see it ? Thanks!

Man.. today felt like a huge failure...

I guess because I've been focusing on working out more this week, I should have increased my portions more.. I was so hungry at 10:30 this morning and I did not come prepared... I ate my emergency RX bar AND a Larabar... My lunch workout was strong and good, but I totally felt bad because I know I know "Being hungry isn't a real emergency" but I was REALLY hungry :) and they were right there..... well lesson learned, don't bring any bars to work! Keep them at home hidden in an earthquake-actual-disaster-kit for real emergencies. 

I did the January Whole30 and had huge success.  However, have gotten a bit lazy with reintro.  Definitely not reverting back to my old ways but the second food group I introduced (after dairy) was "chocolate covered sponge toffee".  Had the corresponding acne breakout and tummy ache and am now feeling properly chastened.  Back to the Whole30 lifestyle for me!!!!   :P

My main issue now is decision-paralysis.  I want to try to introduce these things but I am so used to cooking Whole30 now that I don't really know how.  Like, should I just eat a few random pieces of bread throughout the day?  Some lentils straight from the can?  PB straight from the jar?

I am sure I will figure it out, but I wish there was a blog or something with reintroduction recipes that keep everything compliant except for the one thing you are supposed to reintroduce!

I did the January Whole30 and had huge success.  However, have gotten a bit lazy with reintro.  Definitely not reverting back to my old ways but the second food group I introduced (after dairy) was "chocolate covered sponge toffee".  Had the corresponding acne breakout and tummy ache and am now feeling properly chastened.  Back to the Whole30 lifestyle for me!!!!   :P

My main issue now is decision-paralysis.  I want to try to introduce these things but I am so used to cooking Whole30 now that I don't really know how.  Like, should I just eat a few random pieces of bread throughout the day?  Some lentils straight from the can?  PB straight from the jar?

I am sure I will figure it out, but I wish there was a blog or something with reintroduction recipes that keep everything compliant except for the one thing you are supposed to reintroduce!

Do you receive the Wholesome email? They outline recipe modifications you can use to add back in the food you want to reintroduce using Whole30 recipes. It is issue #36 and it came out on 2/2/16.

If not, you can sign up here: Wholesome

Well, I think I finally have an idea why my results for the January Whole 30 weren't as good as the partial Whole 30 I did over the summer. Histamine intolerance! Histamine builds up in leftovers and I have been batch cooking on the weekends and eating leftovers all week. During the summer I wasn't working and had time to cook meals fresh each day. Plus, some of my staple foods are naturally higher in histamine. I had wondered in the past why I would react to a particular food one day, yet on another day could eat it with no problems. Apparently with histamine intolerance you will only react to a food if histamine has built up in your system past your particular histamine threshold. I frequently have histamine related reactions after eating, but never tested positive for any food allergies. So anyway, I'm researching low histamine diets as well as supplements that can help the body better process histamine. I printed off the low histamine Whole 30 shopping list and am planning to use it to do another Whole30 starting next week. I really hope this is my missing piece - I can't wait to start feeling better!

Hi, I'm not in this cohort but the thing about histamines building up in leftovers is fascinating.  Where did you learn that?

histamines are really tricky to find the level that works for an individual without causing reactions.  good for you for working on that and good luck

I probably should have been more specific - it is left over/ not fresh meat/protein foods that are the culprit. This is a quote from a blog by Georgia Ede, MD.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance/

We all get old…but we do not rot. As long as oxygen and blood are flowing, we stay fresh as a daisy.  Meat used to be alive, but it’s not anymore.  As soon as it stops being alive, bacteria start eating it–decomposing it—fermenting it–breaking its proteins down into ever-smaller, stranger, and often smellier compounds.  Many of these by-products are biogenic amines. Histamine is just one example of a biogenic amine.  Unlike in living tissues, the histamine that is produced during meat fermentation is not instantly destroyed—so it accumulates.  The longer meat is left out, the higher the biogenic amine content.  Histamine itself has no flavor and is odorless, so you can’t use the smell test to detect its presence.

and this is from an article by Janice Joneja, Phd, Rd. I also have her book "Dealing With Food Allergies".

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/histamine/articles/histamine_joneja.html

The Histamine Restricted Diet

DO NOT EAT THE FOLLOWING FOODS

Meat, Poultry, Fish

Fish and shellfish whether fresh, frozen, smoked, or canned, if processing is unknown

• If the fish is freshly caught, gutted and cooked within ½ hour, it may be eaten

Egg

• a small quantity of cooked egg in a baked product such as pancakes, muffins, cakes is allowed

Meat

• Processed, smoked and fermented meats such as luncheon meat, sausage, wiener, bologna, salami, pepperoni, smoked ham, cured bacon
  • Avoid left-overs: freeze any uneaten protein-based food.  Bacteria will quickly act on protein at room and refrigerator temperatures, resulting in histamine production

And from an article on Paleo Leap:

http://paleoleap.com/histamines/

Here’s the tricky part, though: for the most part, the biggest source of histamine in food isn’t the food itself. It’s bacteria on the food, which naturally produce histamine as part of their metabolic process. So anything aged or fermented will be big trouble for the histamine intolerant! Even leftovers can sometimes be “aged” enough to cause problems. Foods high in histamine include:

• (very high) Aged or fermented foods: kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt or kefir, kombucha, aged cheese, alcohol of any kind, vinegar, and cured meat.
  • (very high) Fish and seafood, especially canned or smoked fish.
  • (medium) spinach, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, canned vegetables, dried fruit, avocados, strawberries, papaya, pineapple, and leftovers.

Looking back I realize that it was when I added sauerkraut to my diet that my symptoms really escalated - so many of the foods recommended for healing one's gut are off limits if you can't tolerate histamine!

For those interested in histamine: http://www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/about/the-food-diary/the-food-list/

Vinegar and Kombucha are two things often noticed by the histamine intolerant in a Whole30 as they are high in histamine - avoid fermented anything if you think you have a histamine problem, see if it clears up.

Re-introduced Organic Firm Tofu last night with steamed mushrooms, potatoes , broccoli and cauliflower with melted ghee and curry ! YUM .  And my tummy likes it !  This vegetarian is very happy to have tofu again !  NOT happy about too much wine the night before. Realizing that "gotta have wine" is just a myth I tell myself. A glass now and then is nice but using it as a "reward" for "long-suffering" is SO counterproductive. Working on my relationship with all these things. Whole30 is such a great template for "doing the work" .   :)

4windsrider: also had a similar experience with too much wine on reintro. Ughhhh it was not a good sleeping night and a sluggish, moody next morning.

I was also in that "reward" state of mind mixed with the fear of reintroducing it. I should have stopped at one glass but instead drank two. Double ughhhhh!

Also working on my relationship to the wine mindset. I am realizing that it is a process and I too am grateful to W30 for the space to explore this as never before.

I did a day of legumes this week: peanut butter, chickpeas, green peas. Had no problem, but they really didn't bring much joy so they'll be occasional in my future. Good to know I can add a little variety to my salad bars. I'm going to do soy separately. Tomorrow I'm going to try out gluten.

So….….Is there somewhere else folks are posting or is everyone just busy (it is Monday, after all !)

I'm finding that Re-Intro is almost more fascinating than the Whole30 journey itself…

Went for a wonderful trail ride after 10 weeks of not riding my horse. (Winter !)  Got out of the saddle after about an hour's ride and had NO joint soreness ! This  process is starting to make a believer out of me ! :o

Anyone else noticing "good stuff" ?

I did my gluten reintro yesterday. I made some biscuits for breakfast, had triscuits for lunch, and some Italian bread with dinner. No bad reactions but what surprised me the most was the lack of food joy with the exception of the triscuits. I chose them because they have few ingredients- they aren't my favorite but I figured they would do. I put sliced tomato and avocado on top and fell in love! Definitely a keeper for me.

So the good stuff I noticed was I don't really need bread. It'll have to be something special to make me want to go there. Not sure what my next reintro will be. I did legumes, not soy, last week. I did dairy (bad result) and non gluten grain (ok) on a previous W30. So maybe I'll expand my non gluten grain repertoire. Or break down dairy to try to isolate what exactly may have troubled me.

I feel much more relaxed about my reintro this time so that's helping me proceed more methodically than in the past.

So….….Is there somewhere else folks are posting or is everyone just busy (it is Monday, after all !)

I'm finding that Re-Intro is almost more fascinating than the Whole30 journey itself…

Went for a wonderful trail ride after 10 weeks of not riding my horse. (Winter !)  Got out of the saddle after about an hour's ride and had NO joint soreness ! This  process is starting to make a believer out of me ! :o

Anyone else noticing "good stuff" ?

I'm posting randomly throughout the forum just to help me keep my focus on how I want to keep eating and maybe help some others along the way.

the rundown so far...

Gluten-containing grains= brain fog, bloating, stomachache, hangover-like for a day or two

Non-gluten grains= okay, but only in moderation (rice is a food without brakes for me)

Dairy= bloating, gas

Sugar= eat all the things

Legumes= peanut butter and soy are okay, beans not so much

I've been off-roading quite a bit more than I planned upon and I find that my sugar dragon is rearing its ugly head again...restaurant week in my city about killed me. I can see a huge difference between "on Whole30" and "not on Whole30". I keep making the same mistakes and always end up back in the same bad place. Time to lock it back down.

I'm finding that joint pain is one of the markers I can watch (and count on) when I have "too much" alcohol.  I've added back a glass of wine or a drink in the evenings before bed and there is a fine line somewhere between "one and two" that can make a difference in body stiffness and joint pain the next day. 

I've had tofu several times and seem fine with that.

Organic brown rice seemed ok.

I haven't tried dairy, gluten or sugar (except alcohol) yet.

No true cravings…So leaving sugar alone for now.

Seems like I could do this for a long time…(-;

I added cheese to an omelette yesterday at a favorite restaurant. Really enjoyed it but had a headache for the rest of the day. I'ts the only dairy product I've tried. I'm going to wait a few days and try it again to see if the reaction is consistent. Yesterday was a stressful day all around.

Archived