FODMAP? AIP? Help!

I'm on day 21 and since about day 16/17 I have had lots of tummy troubles (cramping, loose stomach, etc) my very first thought was that I've been eating more apples, which randomly gave me issues pre whole30 but around the 16 day Mark after eating an apple I would get terrible stomach cramps. I've dealt with stomach issues in the past but for the first half of this program everything was rolling right along. I looked up a lot of info on FODMAPs and AIP (I have hypothyroidism so I don't know if i need to follow that?) and I think I have issues with FODMAPs. I'm confused about the sudden onset, though, since even before this my daily lunches were chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato and Ive cooked with onions and garlic in some form in nearly every dinner so I guess I'm eating more of some but there's others I've been eating in the same quantity since before. I haven't been sleeping well lately and I'm usually good at getting all of my water in but it's been slacking this past week or so. I don't know if that would tip the scales so drastically

Generally speaking, I wake up around 6, take my synthroid, and eat breakfast when I get to work around 730. breakfast is 2-3 eggs and sweet potato hash with kale or spinach, bell peppers, onion, and garlic and spices, cooked in olive oil or ghee. If I don't do eggs, I make the hash with some sort of meat instead for protein, following the guidelines for portion sizes. Once or twice a week, I'll have black coffee but I usually stick to peppermint or green tea and water.

If I feel hungry still, I'll have a banana or almonds between breakfast and lunch, which is between 1230-1. As stated, my typical lunch was chicken, sweet potato, and broccoli, or tuna green beans and enough olives to count as enough fat. I follow the plan guidelines for the serving sizes here.

I get home around 5pm and usually dinner isn't until 8/9 so if I feel like I can't make it, I'll do an apple or a LaraBar on the way home, or mini-meal, usually an egg and steamed veggies or tuna and olives and pickles, or a mini-meal sized portion of left overs when I get home because 8 hours between meals is too long, and I adjust my dinner portioning according to how hungry I still am. Dinners vary, but I'm getting adequate fat and protein and veggies each time.

There's a lot of sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, broccoli, and apples happening on a weekly basis for a potential FODMAP sensitivity so I've cut them out or scaled them way back with this weeks menu plan. I guess I'm just wondering if it's normal to be blindsided by the sensitivity so severely. It just seems so out of the blue for how long I went without experiencing any symptoms.

I don't think you need to jump into AIP just yet, sounds like some FODMAP things going on.

There's a lot of things that can make symptoms worse, but one of them is the weirdest. Although it feels new, sometimes it's just being able to "hear" your body better. You mentioned you've had troubles with apples before Whole30. When you're feeling better, some "quieter" things start to feel a lot "louder", as it's not so noisy. The body can only prioritize so many things at once.

I would try cutting out the FODMAPs for a week and see how you feel. Try eating out of the green (low FODMAP) list (skip the non-Whole30 items) with no red (high FODMAP).

For some people, particular items are extra troublesome (onion and garlic included), so make a list of the ones you're eating now and avoid those, as you already know you're not feeling good: http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

It doesn't mean you can't eat any of these things forever, you just need to work out what makes you feel sick.

Thanks it's just super frustrating everything was going so great, I was ready for that tigers blood but it took a hard left...I've bee SO ILL for the last week and I'm feeling hungry because I'm not holding much in-over share but #fodmapproblems....I think I do also have a new sensitivity to eggs...they were touch and go before whole 30, too. I narrowed it down because I took the protein from last night's dinner and put it on a bed of spinach with a few eggs for breakfast...dinner didn't make me sick but breakfast sure did quite quickly so I'm ducking those for a little while too. The impulsive in me just wants to quit and eat some rice with soy sauce because that's what used to make me feel better when my stomach got majorly upset but the determined part of me wants to stay the course and figure this out! Eating bad food now seems very comforting but VERY counterproductive

Archived