Sugar-free, uncured bacon...one word: awesome

BobbyL

We finally found it (without having to order it online).  None of the natural food stores in my town had any, but my wife was shopping in a town south of us yesterday and found some at the Whole Foods there.

So this morning I fried some up.  I was trepidatious because the sugar & soy free sausage we had found was just o.k.  But this bacon was like manna from heaven.  My wife, who is not doing Whole30 but who is enjoying some of my cooking from it, thought it was the best bacon she had ever had, and I wholeheartedly agreed.

For the life of me I don't know why my local grocers aren't carrying this bacon option.  They are losing out on some tremendous sales.  I don't think I will go back to "regular" bacon after having this.

I've bought bacon from the meat counter at both Whole Foods and The Fresh Market before, and everyone who has tried it agrees the taste is no comparison to the junky, pre-packaged brands! (I'm not sure if the kinds I have bought before are completely sugar-free, but I'll check next time since I'm whole30ing now!)

I don't have a Whole Food Store in my State that I know of. 

I found Vermont Smoke and Cure brand bacon that is compliant. It is certified humane raised & handled. Apple cider brined, cob & maple wood smoked, low sodium, NO SUGAR ADDED, uncured, no nitrite or nitrates added. NO antibiotics, NO growth hormones, vegetarian fed. Dairy free. I found it at Healthy Living Market in Burlington Vermont. I drove 2 hours to get it. It is worth it. It cooks up faster than other brands - I burnt the first batch. So now low and slow is my motto.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived