Let's get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuumble! (A Log)

Janette

Must check out that app/game, cool!

i simmered the meat miz for the pie a lot longer than she said, i also left out the egg and used arrowroot - it wasn't too soupy but the idea of slice-able turned me off more than soupy!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 17: A different kind of superpower

The Whole30 Daily this morning was suggesting that nearly everyone starts to feel the tiger blood by this point. I'll admit I'll "harrumphed!" just a bit. I don't like doing all the work and missing out on the magic!

But my day was remarkable in a different way. I slept quite badly last night in between the usual wake ups, and my kid was in a pretty sour mood all day. But instead of waking up and crying and wondering how I'd make it through my day, and instead of getting impatient and annoyed and trying to force myself to pretend to be a kind and patient mommy, I was just...fine. I had enough energy to make it through the usual routine. And I had enough calm to see the need for love and positive attention that my kid was expressing, albeit in a very unpleasant way. And his trauma didn't cause me any trauma. And the drama wasn't prolonged by me trying to resist or correct it. I just loved him through it and I think we're closer for it.

I'll take that kind of mundane magic any day!

Didn't do anything to expressly promote happiness, but I did buy a bunch of silly hats for my son's tea party themed birthday party on Saturday.

I was pretty hungry today. And I'm on the last notch of my 'skinny' belt. That feels good.

Food

Breakfast: sausage, sweet potatoes, blueberries, green smoothie

Lunch: smoked salmon, avocado, tomatoes, mixed greens

Snack: cottage pie, larabars (oops), cashews, almonds, goji berries

Dinner: roast chicken, brussel sprouts, parsnips, butternut squash

Dessert: coconut manna

Activity

None, unless you count shopping

Sleep

10 - 6, 5 wake ups, nap 7:30 - 8:40

Mood

Pretty good.

Gratitude

I'm grateful for my babysitter and the fact that my baby has now bonded with her. Gives me guilt-free time off.

I'm grateful that little kids can be so amused by silly hats. I'm totally with them on that.

I'm grateful for my incredibly comfortable bed. I never thought I'd spend so much time in it.

Day 17: A different kind of superpower

The Whole30 Daily this morning was suggesting that nearly everyone starts to feel the tiger blood by this point. I'll admit I'll "harrumphed!" just a bit. I don't like doing all the work and missing out on the magic!

But my day was remarkable in a different way. I slept quite badly last night in between the usual wake ups, and my kid was in a pretty sour mood all day. But instead of waking up and crying and wondering how I'd make it through my day, and instead of getting impatient and annoyed and trying to force myself to pretend to be a kind and patient mommy, I was just...fine. I had enough energy to make it through the usual routine. And I had enough calm to see the need for love and positive attention that my kid was expressing, albeit in a very unpleasant way. And his trauma didn't cause me any trauma. And the drama wasn't prolonged by me trying to resist or correct it. I just loved him through it and I think we're closer for it.

I'll take that kind of mundane magic any day!

I think your baby drank your tiger blood!

Well done on doing such a good job of mothering in the face of adversity.

Yeah, I wish I could figure out how to keep my life essence from escaping through my boobs!

I guess I'm starting to sound a little "first world problems." Millions of mothers worry about feeding, clothing, and protecting their children, and here I am whinging about not getting enough sleep!

Ok, next week's mission is to have more of a life outside of being a mom!

Day 18: Stamina's Improving

No sleep in, no nap, and I still felt like power walking instead of drive when I headed out to do errands at 4:30 - my former "hit the wall" time. Yay! I could get used to this.

Did a lot of baking this morning. After I finished making pumpkin bread for preschool and hubby, I mixed the rest of the pumpkin puree with an egg, cashew butter, lots of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and baking powder. I spooned it into mini cupcake tins and baked for a long time. It came out pretty decent. Not quite sweet enough to be called a muffin, but satisfyingly bready. I know it's not really in the spirit of the Whole30, but I REALLY wanted the pumpkin bread, and I wasn't about to toss the lovely pumpkin puree!

I've decided that next week I'm going to use my free time to do strictly non-mom things. I've been a little too consumed with that role lately. I think I finally have enough spare energy to do interesting stuff again. I'm looking forward to it.

Food

Breakfast: Sausage, sweet potatoes, blueberries, green smoothie

Snack: Pumpkin not-muffins, cashews and goji berries

Lunch: Roast chicken with avocado, more not-muffins

Dinner: Basa with salsa, spaghetti squash

Dessert: berries, coconut manna

Activity

Walked 4km

Sleep

9:30 - 6:39, 5 wake ups

Mood

Pretty good, except for a dip when I waited too long to eat lunch

Gratitude

I'm grateful for the awesome thrift shop down the road with so many cool little tea cups!

I'm grateful that I've finally matured to the point that I don't need this party to impress anyone. I just want to give kids a chance to be silly and have a good time. There will be nothing Pinterest-worthy, and that's just fine.

Day19: Thoroughly Tempted

Baked the kid's birthday cake this evening and OH MY GOODNESS I was tempted at every step. I'm not even particularly into Victoria sponge cake (I have a 4 yr old Anglophile) but it just seemed like heaven itself. It was do hard to not lick my fingers or sneak a crumb!

Also, when I came home from running errands, I was starving and hubby brought out cupcakes for everyone. Argh! I whipped up some quick banana cashew butter pancakes to save myself. Not off plan, but again not in the spirit. Oh well.

Food

Breakfast: sausage, sweet potatoes, blueberries, green smoothie

Day 20: Birthday Party!

What is so inherently funny about kids with mustaches? I don't know. But they made me laugh every time I looked at them.

8087822489_d9aaf6914b.jpg

I really couldn't have set myself up better for failure more if I tried. Only had 5 1/2 hours of broken sleep. Put out lots of my favorite foods and didn't really plan for what I could eat, so I ended up ravenous and tempted and it was my own fault. Ended up finishing the lox and eating baby carrots and sugar snap peas and a whole lotta guacamole.

After everyone left, I just ate and ate and ate (on plan)! I was so hungry! And that leftover cake was really taunting me.

I did really want to have a "treat" after resisting so many, so I had some trail mix. Ok, a lot of trail mix. Then I "treated" myself to filet mignon for dinner. Yum.

Was really pleased with my stamina and lack of stress. Also ended up feeling really content about having such great friends and seeing my kid enjoy himself so much.

I'm writing this the day after, so I'm not going to log the food, etc.

Day 21: A Day of Rest

Lazed about and made rest a priority today. Perfect weather for it. Also, everyone else in the house had a cold, so I'm trying not to catch it. Made a big pot of chicken soup.

Thinking that I should try cutting out the nuts entirely, but that that needs a bit of planning so that I have other convenient portable snacks. Especially while I'm cutting back on eggs. (They're such a perfect snack!)

Food

Breakfast: Sausage, sweet potato, blueberries

Snack: Trail mix

Lunch: Chicken soup (everyone but me is sick)

Snack: Cashew butter and jam, foie gras

Dinner: Steak, baby kale, butternut squash all chopped up and fried together. Yum!

Activity

Not a darn thing, thank you very much

Sleep

10 - 12, 3-6, 7 - 7:40, 10:30 - 11am

Mood

Pretty content

Day 22: Almost on the final stretch

Can it be Day 22 already??? Wow. Kind of feel like I should "shape up" for my last week. Stay in the spirit as well as in the letter.

Last night I slept unusually well. I think I may have slept through a baby wake up because I found him all the way over in the crib (it's up against our bed with the side off) and I know that's not where I left him! Felt great this morning.

I've been drinking some ayurvedic sleepy tea at bedtime the last couple of nights. Wonder if that made the difference.

Used a groupon today for a mudwrap and dermabrasion. My son didn't believe me that I'd pay somebody to cover me in mud and sandpaper my face. "But that's naughty!" was his conclusion. "Now you're shiny," was my husband's.

Been feeling really upbeat lately, which is in stark contrast to everyone else who is bummed out by the terrible weather and the colds going around. I almost feel like I should tone it down a bit!

Went 15 hours without food (chose to sleep in instead) but didn't feel wrecked by it this time.

No nuts or eggs today!

Food

Breakfast: sausage, sweet potatoes, green smoothie

Lunch: Chicken soup, foie gras

Dinner: Steak, spaghetti squash

Activity

None

Sleep

10:30 - 6:30, 3 wake ups, nap 7:45 - 9

Mood

Pretty good

Gratitude

I'm thankful for groupons and businesses that do them.

I'm really thankful for my friends lately.

I'm thankful that I felt well rested this morning.

I've also felt at times like I might be too happy for my surroundings! But I've decided to just go with it. I'd like to think people will come to like the happier shinier me :D

I didn't really think of myself as unhappy or down before, no mood issues. But in general, I've honestly felt happier and calmer during the Whole 30. I still might get irritated at times, but it's more like I just move on and don't wallow in it.

I've always wanted to dry a mud wrap, sounds interesting. My sister did a seaweed wrap not too long ago, and really enjoyed it though she thought it smelled rather unpleasant.

Must have been the week for some self indulgence, because I met my girlfriend for a massage, facial and manicure over the weekend. I felt like spaghetti when I left there, and it felt good!

Hope your day is fantastic today. I really enjoy reading about your experiences.

I did very much enjoy my me-time, thanks! It could get addicting.

Thanks for making me feel better about being weirdly happy! Funny old world.

Speaking of groupons, would I be insane to start at this Crossfit-type gym while not sleeping? It's $20 for 10 classes - that's about the price of one yoga class around here. My rational self says wait, but my insane energy says, "go for it!"

Think I might buy it and hang on to it. It expires a year from now. This crazy sleep schedule can't go on a whole more year, can it?!?!

Day 23: No Sleep, Feeling Amazing

Woah! This must be what they're talking about! I'm certainly not well-rested - I was up till 10:30, then again from 12 - 3, then up from 7. But I have so much energy. It's incredible. I talked my friend's ear off about it all morning (she's got a non-sleeping baby too). Then I cleaned the house and checked several nagging things off my to do list. It's 9 now, and I'm ready to go to sleep. But WOW! I hope this continues!

Still the only one in my house not sick. And now my brother in law came to visit and brought a sniffle from England. We'll see if I can hold out!

Back on the nuts. But the trail mix is gone, baby, gone.

Food

Breakfast: Chicken sausage, sweet potatoes, green smoothie

Lunch: Chicken soup

Snack: apple and cashew butter, foie gras, trail mix

Dinner: steak, asparagus, spaghetti squash

activity

mega chores

sleep

!0:30 - 7:30, awake from 12 - 3, 2 other wake ups

mood

awesome

gratitude

I'm thankful for this Whole30. WOW!!!!

Day 24: Meatmas!

As Derval would say, it's Meatmas! My meat delivery arrived today. Bison, grass fed and finished steak, sushi grade sashimi, smoked salmon, and way more bacon than I realized I was ordering. Now I'm going to have to have bacon with every meal.

8098981389_e8d2197592.jpg

Today was challenging. I'm surrounded by sick, cranky people and trying to fight off the bug as well.

AND my mother sent my kid a birthday present of kids' bakeware and a recipe book. Beautiful stuff. I let my kid pick any recipe in the book to make, and of course he chose the "Disgustingly Rich Chocolate Brownies." It took so much restraint to not lick the spoon! And of course they smelled amazing. And every got a hot slice but me. Made myself a nice cup of tea, but that really isn't the same!!!!

Food

Breakfast: Sausage, sweet potatoes

Snack: Green smoothie, crudite with avocado dip

Lunch: Chicken soup

Snack: Coconut manna, coconut flakes

Dinner: Roast sirloin, green beans, butternut squash

Dessert: Strawberry

Activity

Nuthin

Sleep

10:30 - 5:30, 4 wake ups, nap 8-9. Brutal.

Gratitude

I'm grateful that I can spend a decent amount of 1-on-1 time with my baby. I don't think I'd have had that chance if my kids were closer in age.

I'm tickled pink that my brother-in-law just gave me perfect replicas of a rolex watch and a louis vuitton bag. Not my style at all, but I'm tempted to wear them with a straight face. My son's preschool is all fancy people, so I know they'd notice and be surprised!

Brownies, homemade, are seriously amazingly. Look at your awesome super-power self! If someone had told you, before starting, that you'd be able to resist those brownies (and the batter), would you have even believed them?

Love "tickled pink", oh, you fancy now ;)

Would you believe the guys (hubby and brother-in-law) broke my Rolex already?!?!? Honestly! Can't get the staff these days!

Really, really, REALLY want a cookie right now. So tempted to make chocolate coconut manna. OMG, blended with banana and warmed up like a warm pudding? Wow, that would be so good. I need to stop torturing myself.

I think I've been entertaining my cravings too much lately, and they've come back with a vengeance. Either that, or it's because the weather's gone pretty cold, and my body wants some insulation!

Ok, now to catch up with posting.

Day 25: First Steps Toward Self-Compassion

I read MJ's "Tuesday 10: Excellent Body Image Posts" (I think it was linked from the Daily email?) and ended up on this lovely post from Paleo for Women. This part particularly resonated with me:

"
Self-love is in my opinion loving the whole self first and foremost, regardless of it's appearance.
Loving the body, in my view, is about loving ourselves as physical creatures, absent of how we might look to others or in a mirror. Our bodies are not just visual instruments. They are complicated, thrumming, vibrant organisms. They provide the physical basis of our existences, and as such they enable us to perform all of the physical functions available to us– they enable us to run, to leap, to sleep, to feel the wind in our hair… to bleed, to cry, to pray, to heal, to live, to die. And they enable our internal lives as well, providing the means for us to feel joy, sorrow, exaltation, pain, freedom, peace, and love. Our bodies are
physical
, first and foremost. And not visual. So when I advocate that people love their bodies, what I really want for them is to love themselves and their relationship with their physical existence.

This physical existence may be complicated.
Maybe it looks better to a woman some days than others. Maybe it feels better some days or others. Those things are all well and good and deserve attention in their own ways. But the looks and the feeling, these things follow from being a physical body first and foremost. They derive from it. Which is why I advocate loving and nurturing that physical existence above all other things. The body cannot look healthy (not without significant monetary investments, in any case) if it is not actually healthy, and the body will not achieve true holistic health without a woman working in harmony with that body. In order to have a truly glorious body, a woman must feed it what it needs, and therefore she must listen, and nourish, and care for it."

I'm starting to see my body as an old, dear friend who has always been there for me. It's been stressed, stretched, and hurt, and it is just trying to heal itself. I was unknowingly hurting it (judging by how much better I feel on the Whole30), and then being annoyed with it for not being stronger and looking healthier. I'm starting to feel more compassion for my body now, and to want to be a good friend to it. I want to nurture it like I nurture my children, and honor all the things it does for me. My heart hurts a little bit thinking about the ways I've worked against this amazing vessel.

I'm not logging my food intake for today because I'm writing this 2 days after the fact and I've forgotten! I didn't write that evening because I chose to go to sleep as soon as I could after getting the baby down. (And he went down an hour later than usual, so I didn't have any time to spare!)

Day 26: Bringing Joy to the Dinner Table

I did pretty well until the late afternoon today. Then I hit the prunes and almonds. Now, this is a whole lot better than how I used to binge, but I'm annoyed that the pattern is still there, and still strong!! I didn't eat an obscene amount, but the feeling was the same: just a little bit more, oh just another couple won't hurt. I get that it's hard to change a lifetime pattern in 30 days, but argh! Why aren't you going away, binging!

I didn't notice any triggers or stress. I think I just REALLY like to eat! But maybe there's more mindfulness work to be done in this area. I should look into mindful eating.

Had a great evening with my happiness circle, and stayed up late for a giggle with the girls. Didn't mind not having wine. I think my giggle level was only 75% what it would normally have been, but I really enjoyed how clear my mind felt. The squares of chocolate were pretty tempting, though.

We talked a lot about food and bringing the joy of eating to our dinner table. One friend lights a candle and they say Waldorf blessings that acknowledge the roots of their food - the earth and sun, the people who planted and harvested the food. Another friend talked about the very important tasks she gives her girls to involve them in preparing dinner and the table, so they feel a real sense of connection to the event and the food. I'd like to incorporate these into our family dinners. (We have family dinner every night, but my 4 year old has been doing a bit too much of "Ew, I don't like that" lately.) I think I first should work on authentically embodying the joy of eating in community. And maybe introduce some ritual to the dinner table.

Food

Breakfast: Bison, sweet potato, apple hash

Lunch: Sausage, spinach and coconut soup

Snack: Bacon, prunes, almonds, larabar

Dinner: Fried chicken, mixed greens, tomatoes

Snack: Carrots, bell peppers

Activity

None

Sleep

9:30 - 6:30, 4 wake ups

Gratitude

I'm grateful for my wonderful friends and that they are just that little bit ahead of me in life stages, so I get an authentic preview of what's to come.

I'm grateful for giggles and silliness.

Day 27: Shouldn't I Have This Thing Figured Out By Now?

I'm feeling a bit frustrated that I'm still struggling with resisting nuts and dried fruit at this point. I guess I set myself back with those two days of muffins and pancakes. I can see why they say not to do it. I'm thinking the best course of action is to stop snacking altogether, but I don't know if that's feasible with breastfeeding and not sleeping. I'll try it tomorrow.

In other news, I'm feeling like a domestic diva because I made my own laundry soap and hand cream today!

8107550323_aba77d0a80.jpg

Food

Breakfast: Bison, sweet potato, and apple hash warmed up with lots of coconut milk and cinnamon

Lunch: Sausage, green smoothie, pear

Snack: Bacon and sauerkraut, apple, sunbutter and jam

Dinner: Rib-eye steak, brussels sprouts with caramelized onion and chestnuts

Activity

3km walk

Sleep

12:30am - 5:30 am, 3 wake ups, nap 9:30 - 11

Mood

Generally good. Bit cranky around dinner time.

Gratitude

My kid asked at breakfast, "What was there before the Big Bang?" That made me very happy and grateful to have such a curious, teachable kid.

I'm grateful for my beautiful neighborhood to walk around in.

I'm grateful for fall colors.

I'm grateful for my very comfy bed.

Just caught up with your posts. Loved the sharing of the self-love post. I can be pretty vain, and I work to not judge myself and to remember that my body is a truly amazing machine and I need to care for it.

Also lived reading about bringing joy to the family meal. My mom had a task for each of us kids everyday at dinner time. We learned to put the silverware and cloth napkins on the table the "right" way. Not because she was picky or mean, but because my mom wanted us to incorporate grace and ritual into our lives. As an adult, I really appreciate that gift. Those rituals can be so soothing.

Practically speaking, what about a 4th meal given your breast feeding? Maybe thinking of it not as a snack will help with the cravings.

And, you could try deciding on a set activity you do whenever you feel a snack craving. Even as simple as stop, count to 20 deep breaths? I figure you cant stop and meditate for 10 minutes at random times with little ones;) Good luck!

Grace and ritual - yes, those are wonderful things! Thanks for the further inspiration.

I think you're right about the 4th meal. I think I should eat around 3:30. I've got some smoked sausages and sauerkraut - maybe that would make a quick, easy meal.

Day 28: Already?!?!?!

I can't quite believe I'm almost done. I certainly don't feel like I've made enough progress with my habits and cravings. I guess that's no big deal, since I plan on continuing past the 30 days - I can't afford to go back to being a mere mortal with my current sleep situation!

Today we woke up to winter. It was far too close to freezing and there were big, dark clouds. My brain seems to be stuck in summer however - I forgot to take a hat or umbrella with me when we went to the farmer's market. It started to rain some very cold drops just as we finished at the market, and I MOTORED the 2 km home. It didn't tire me in the least. Yay!

I did hit the wall around 4:30 and have to nap, however. But last night was a particularly bad night. I think the baby is getting another tooth.

No nuts or eggs today.

The boys really tortured me with chocolate today. Just about the time I was craving it, they both ate some and invited me to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with them. So I made some smelly kale chips and was glad that chocolate river doesn't look chocolately at all!

I made this Whole30 approved BBQ sauce this evening. Not convincing at all. Tastes like you added orange juice concentrate to ketchup.

Food

Breakfast: "bison porridge": ground bison, apple, sweet potato, warmed up with lots of coconut milk and cinnamon, and a green smoothie

Lunch: kale and coconut soup, bacon, sausage

Snack: Coconut manna, kale chips

Dinner: Ribeye steak with BBQ sauce, leftover brussels sprouts

Activity

4km

Sleep

9:30-10:30, 11:30 - 4 with 2 wake ups, 4-6:30, nap from 4:45 - 5:15

Gratitude

I'm thankful for my wonderful warm winter coat.

I'm thankful that I'm human and can live in a warm, dry house.

I'm thankful that the harvest continues even though the weather's turned.

Archived