Hashi's Whole30

kristinx10

Hey everybody!

I'm kicking off my first Whole30 (began yesterday) and feeling great about it! (Anxiously awaiting the "Kill All the Things" phase)  Started the week right by cleaning out my fridge & pantry, and really enjoying the food so far.  Like so many introductions here, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been.  (29, 5'-1", 165#)  While weight loss would be a wonderful bonus, my main goal here is to provide myself with a solid baseline from which to experiment with foods.  Having Hashimoto's, I've been constantly battling an extreme level of inflammation and really need to pinpoint my problem foods.  

My plan of attack:  Begin with a by-the-book regular Whole30.  On my 30th day, I will be evaluating the way I feel.  If I feel dramatically better, then I will proceed for another 30 days with the basic Whole30.  If my improvements aren't where I "feel" they should be, I'm going to get a little stricter and fall back into low-FODMAP or complete AIP style eating for the remainder of my Whole60. Then, I will (very slowly) experiment with all the things that I've been skipping.  Hopefully this seems logical/reasonable, but I'm all ears if I should be considering a different path!

Anywho, I've noticed this seems to be a wonderful community, and I can't wait to be a part of it.  Here begins the support and mutual commiseration! 

• Moderators

If my improvements aren't where I "feel" they should be, I'm going to get a little stricter and fall back into low-FODMAP or complete AIP style eating for the remainder of my Whole60. 

Welcome!

I just wanted to say that some people need longer than 30 days to feel dramatically better... there are conditions and circumstances in which one's body has to prioritize healing and if you come from that sort of place (which, with Hashi's it sounds like you do), give it time.  I think that if you are seeing improvements, regardless of whether you 'feel' that they should be more or less, that you are gentle with yourself and realistic about how quickly your symptoms will start to improve.  

Hi Kristin - Doing the whole30 will be a positive thing for your inflammation.  If you're anything like me you will notice a great decrease in your inflammation by the 4th or 5th day. I've had osteoarthritis in my knees for 20+ years and it is SO much better now.  I'm 63 yo so your improvement at your young age may be even better than mine. I'm on my 24th day and my athletic stamina has increased and my knees don't bother me even after a really long strenuous period of activity. I've lost a few pounds for sure (haven't used the scale yet) but the decrease in the inflammation has been worth sticking to the program. Good luck!

Thank you both! I think part of my biggest issue is that I don't know how to feel.  I'm not sure what's a symptom and what isn't anymore.  I struggle with intangibles and feelings I can't measure, so I'm interested to see how I will gauge the coming changes.  I am absolutely looking forward to this entire experience and what it will teach me, and am trying not to have any specific expectations. 

Archived