Digestive Distress Day 26 and Tweak my food

LaelaL

Hi there,

I ate something last Thurs that caused horrid digestive distress--the likes of which I hadn't seen the WHOLE30 time.  

It was obviously something in my salad at lunch which i've been eating for nearly every Mon-Thurs lunch this whole time. So what do you think is the culprit?  Had horrid gas, pains in side, diarrhea, gas and side pains lasted for 2 days.  Generally uncomfortable.

some background--

First Whole 30 coming from a Paleo-esque WOE for past 2 years

Started Jan 4th 

Typical meal plans:

Breakfast:

~ 2 fried eggs, spinach wilted on top (3-4 cups), 1/2 avocado, coconut cream with coffee (weekdays)

~3 egg omelet with spinach, veggies and 2 Paleo Bacons, 1 mandarin and coffee/coconut cream (weekends)

Lunch:  ginormous salad (falling off plate heaped high - ridiculous large) with greens, red onion, sweet potato 1/3 c., broccoli (1/3 c.) mushrooms raw, green beans, palm size of white chicken breast, strawberries, tbsp of Sunflower seeds for crunch, O&Red V.

Dinners (3 samples):  

~Chicken thighs and potatoes with salad or steamed broccoli / budda orange.

~Chicken soup homemade with veggies and potato and 1/2 avocado as a topping plus bowl of berries and plantain (1/2 c) with coconut cream/cashews (sprinkling)

~Steak, potato, and pile of spinach cooked in coconut oil with bowl of berries with coconut cream/cashews or orange.

Anyway on the day in question I consumed beets with the salad described above and wondering if that could have done it? Too much sugar?  Maybe even canned beets cuz salad bar at work.  But we have an organic garden at work and they usually have top notch quality ingredients but sometimes a few cheats (e.g. they use matchstick carrots which I've heard are coated in flour so they don't stick to each other and so unless garden fresh I don't use them).  Can't think of anything else and thought i'd seek wisdom here for guidance.

Also feedback on my meals in general is welcome.  I don't snack between meals BUT must confess a fondness for cashews IN my homemade salads for lunch (ground beef or chicken, spinach, greens, onions, chimichurri sauce as dressing, cara cara oranges, cashews, avocado optional--my all time fav thing I've eaten on this whole 30)  or in my occasional berry bowl 

But I'm sensing that maybe k should avoid the cashews altogether going fwd for my 30-60 window of Whole 60??

Finally, hard pressed to eat 3 or more eggs most mornings......

Thanks in advance for guidance.  

Cheers,
Laela

Regarding your digestive distress, if the beets in your salad weren't fresh, they could have been packaged in who-knows-what and that could have made you ill.  As an example, I have jarred beets in my cabinet at home which are packaged in high fructose corn syrup.

On your other questions,

- if you can't add a 3rd egg at breakfast, add more of another protein source. A sausage, seafood, fish, chicken, meat.
- cashews once a day on a salad at lunch are fine.
- creating berry/fruit bowls with coconut cream and cashews is bordering on desserty - you might want to step away from that mixture

Thanks for feedback.  Was wondering about the berry bowl thing. I just like a fresh taste after the stewy meaty dinner.  Can swap it back to an orange or mandarin instead. 

I had the same salad today minus the beets and no issues....so am going to suspect it was canned beets and HFCS!  Man it was an awful reaction but always good to know at the tail end of a Whole 30 that your body screams when something awful enters.

will try to add more protein at breaky but man it seems like a lot of food and i'm never hungry till lunch with my current 2 fried eggs+spinach combo.

L

• Moderators

You may want to consider giving up all the after dinner dessert type things like the fruits... if you want to remove the stewy meat taste after dinner, try brushing your teeth or having a cup of tea.  We want to remove the idea that the end of dinner has to have the sweet for these 30 days.

Watch your hunger... as your hormones balance out, you will likely get hungrier for more protein at breakfast.  Two eggs is not a lot. Try the three and then eat as much as you can, wrap it up and take it with you to eat from as soon as you feel you can eat more (not when you're hungry but when you feel that you can stomach it).  The template is really the minimum that an adult human needs to survive so really work on getting the protein balance up :)

Thanks. Trying to up eggs to 3 and eliminating the fruit thing at end of dinner.  All good tweaks.  It is funny how hard it is to erase mental blocks to eating - such as--That's too much food!  I measure against the amount my husband eats and he eats not much.  He's slim and trim and I am overweight so I have this mental image that I can't eat MORE food than him...guess I have to get over it.  

Thanks. Trying to up eggs to 3 and eliminating the fruit thing at end of dinner.  All good tweaks.  It is funny how hard it is to erase mental blocks to eating - such as--That's too much food!  I measure against the amount my husband eats and he eats not much.  He's slim and trim and I am overweight so I have this mental image that I can't eat MORE food than him...guess I have to get over it.  

Hi LaelaL,

I just wanted to comment on something here.  I am 5'9" and a larger framed woman.  my SO is a 5'7" slim built man.  I am approximately 80 lbs heavier than he is.  I also eat twice as much as him now.  Whereas before when I was at my heaviest - I was eating far less, was constantly hungry, and gained weight simply thinking about food.   I lost weight one the whole 30 eating more than I ever have in my life.  

So don't pay attention to what is on his plate.  Mind your own plate.  And work what works for you.  If eating more is it - then eat more. (Honestly do eat more)

Archived