Starting today, 2.1. Tums, gherkins, and chicken broth. Labels are going to be the death of me.

mrsktoyou

I have to admit it took me awhile to finally jump onto the whole30 bandwagon. I'm not huge into social media so it took awhile for me to start seeing instragram pics of food with #whole30 below it. I was intrigued and so I looked into it. I'm desperate to lose weight and I know the whole30 isn't all about weight loss etc but I need a radical new relationship with food. I am definitely an emotional eater. I don't know if there isn't anything more comforting than a hot beverage and a baked good after chasing my two boys around and wiping poopy bottoms, and doing endless dishes and laundry, etc. Eek! I know!?! You must be thinking, good luck, I don't think she's going to make it. Well, I'm a stubborn lady so at least that's in my corner. I am also taking my husband on this journey (on his own freewill.) I have the bowels of a champion, but he isn't as blessed so he's looking for answers in his diet to help with his digestive issues. 

Tums - I have tums every day since my kids. They have permanently destroyed my esophagus so they are a mainstay in my life. However, today I realized that they have sugar in them so I have a couple of other medicines I can use, but I am a little nervous about not being able to rely on them.

Gherkins - I don't like pickles. BUT I need a gherkin for chicken/ tuna salad. I checked my Trader Joe's jar and there were some sulfides in it. So, now, I have to go on a gherkin hunt.

Chicken broth - I was stocking up at Trader Joe's and I was reading all the labels and I was shocked that my usual chicken broth was not compliant. The free range organic one is (I think), so at least they had one option. 

I could go on about labels, but it sure does make grocery shopping long and tedious. 

• Moderators

Hey there!

Okay so first, congrats for finding the Whole30 and jumping on board!

Re: Tums... unless doctor prescribed, you should put them aside for the Whole30.  Often we have heartburn due to not enough acid to help us digest our foods... on Whole30, some people combat this by taking a spoon of apple cider vinegar.. you can google 'whole30 heartburn' and you'll get a ton of results.

As far as compliant convenience foods, it is EXTREMELY hard to find processed products that don't have non compliant ingredients.  Why do you only 'think' that the free range one is organic?  What is in the ingredients that is making you doubt its compliance?

Grocery shopping can be really tedious and time consuming if you're looking for packaged products that fit the bill. It's very easy to buy meat, vegetables and good fats... things with no labels are much easier to manage!

I search for a long time to find Dijon mustard that was compliant. When I finally found one, I bought three bottles! It is a pain in the butt, but totally worth the effort. I've just finished my second Whole30 and am a believer! My relationship with food is changing for the better, and this is from a 58 year old woman who's had dysfunctional food behaviors since grade school. I have a ways to go yet, but this will get me there. Welcome to the forum!

Hi! I'm planning to start tomorrow. I also spend my days running after small children, wiping poopy bottoms (when will they finally do it themselves and why do they think it's such a privilege to let me wipe their bum!?) and doing endless housework. I'm also desperate to loose weight. So desperate! We already eat Paleo and mostly organic, and sugar free because I know I have problems with Candida, and can't loose weight :( Never had that problem before, if I applied myself properly I could always loose weigh. Praying whole 30 works! Hubbys mostly working away for the next three + months. He'll next be home in four weeks, and I'd love to be slimmer by then!

Archived