Different body sizes & appetites - Couples Whole30 (Starting 2/3/16)

jsunshine

Hello Whole30 world!  Glad to meet everyone and join the group.  Excited and also SO nervous to start.

My girlfriend and I are starting on Wednesday (2/3), and I'm trying to prepare as much as possible.  I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.  I searched and searched through the forums but I couldn't quite find exactly what I'm looking for.

Backstory: I am almost twice the size as my partner (I'm 5'9" and approx. 175lbs - she's 5'0" and approx. 105lbs).  I am always hungry, all the time (even for boring food like steamed fish), and she is literally never hungry ever, and I have to ask her if she's done with her 1/2 eaten plate of food I just cooked...she always is.... Also, i plan every meal, and she helps buy/cook. So I'm planning this month out as a party of 2.

Questions below:

1.  Should we be using the same portion sizes for our meals? Seems off to me to make someone so small eat as much as me, but I understand it's part of the process that is the same for everyone.  Should she force herself to eat more than she would prefer?

2.  I have seen in these forums that the "eating every 2-3 hours" route is not encouraged on a daily schedule (even if it's a healthy snack/minimeal...mini meals are for random occurrences of hunger?).  The Whole30 book explains that your body is relying on sugar for energy instead of burning fat.  I have been on a no-sugar/all fresh produce & lean protein diet (although very very bland) for a month now, and I still really need 3 meals with 2 small healthy snacks a day or I get sluggish.  I'm drinking about 100 oz of water a day as well.  Can someone help me with how this will change on the Whole30?

2a.  I can eat at 9am and 1pm, but my dinner will not be available to me until 7:30pm given my work schedule.  Is this one case in which I will need a minimeal every day around 5pm?

3.  I work out every morning 6:30-7:30am.  Do i need a post-workout meal AND a full breakfast? They would only have an hour space in between.

4. If you don't like avocados, what's your best fat alternative besides olives? Seems like it's just nuts?

Thank you so much! Can't wait to shop!

• Moderators

Hello Whole30 world! Glad to meet everyone and join the group. Excited and also SO nervous to start.

My girlfriend and I are starting on Wednesday (2/3), and I'm trying to prepare as much as possible. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with. I searched and searched through the forums but I couldn't quite find exactly what I'm looking for.

Backstory: I am almost twice the size as my partner (I'm 5'9" and approx. 175lbs - she's 5'0" and approx. 105lbs). I am always hungry, all the time (even for boring food like steamed fish), and she is literally never hungry ever, and I have to ask her if she's done with her 1/2 eaten plate of food I just cooked...she always is.... Also, i plan every meal, and she helps buy/cook. So I'm planning this month out as a party of 2.

Questions below:

1. Should we be using the same portion sizes for our meals? Seems off to me to make someone so small eat as much as me, but I understand it's part of the process that is the same for everyone. Should she force herself to eat more than she would prefer?

This is why portion sizes are done by palm and thumb size. Your palm will be bigger than hers, likewise your thumb. If you both eat to your own hand, then you should be eating the amount of food relative to your body. Check out the meal template linked below in my signature.

2. I have seen in these forums that the "eating every 2-3 hours" route is not encouraged on a daily schedule (even if it's a healthy snack/minimeal...mini meals are for random occurrences of hunger?). The Whole30 book explains that your body is relying on sugar for energy instead of burning fat. I have been on a no-sugar/all fresh produce & lean protein diet (although very very bland) for a month now, and I still really need 3 meals with 2 small healthy snacks a day or I get sluggish. I'm drinking about 100 oz of water a day as well. Can someone help me with how this will change on the Whole30?

Fat is what is going to keep you full for the 4-5 hours. Your previous all fresh produce/lean protein sounds like it was probably lacking in fat which is why you would be hungry in not so long of a time... try building your meals to the aforementioned template and if necessary, eat to the higher end of the template to get you 4-5 hours between meals.

2a. I can eat at 9am and 1pm, but my dinner will not be available to me until 7:30pm given my work schedule. Is this one case in which I will need a minimeal every day around 5pm?

Yes, I would suggest a mini meal. But I do question the timing of your breakfast. Do you only get up at 8am? The recommendation is to eat within an hour of waking.

3. I work out every morning 6:30-7:30am. Do i need a post-workout meal AND a full breakfast? They would only have an hour space in between.

If your workouts are of any significant intensity then yes, you would eat the post workout meal (it can be a few bites of chicken and sweet potato) while you're coming home from the gym or getting ready for work and then your breakfast. You still want to aim that first full meal of the day about an hour after waking so you may be eating breakfast within close proximity to your post workout... that's okay :)

4. If you don't like avocados, what's your best fat alternative besides olives? Seems like it's just nuts?

Olives, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, home made mayo, mayo based sauces (home made of course), sunshine sauce, coconut milk, coconut flakes/meat/butter, ghee, lard, tallow, schmaltz, duck fat, home made salad dressings, fatty cuts of meat and fish :)

Thank you so much! Can't wait to shop!

Find answers to your questions in the quoted text of your post above :)

• Moderators

You and your girlfriend should both follow our meal planning guide. The guide tells you to consume protein portions that are as big as the palm of your hand. I bet your girlfriend's hand is smaller than yours, so she will eat less than you. Our guide does say fill the rest of the plate with veggies, so in that sense, she might be eating more veggies than you because less of her plate was filled with protein. :) 

How much to eat

You should space meals 4-5 hours apart. If you can't go that long between meals, you are not eating enough. Adding fat often helps people stay satisfied longer. Rather than eating snacks, it is better to plan to eat 4 meals. Or 5 meals if necessary. Avoid eating fruit, nuts, etc. The kinds of things you think are healthy snacks. You need real nourishment like protein, fat, and veggies. 

Post-workout food is bonus food to help you recover from training faster. If you combine it with breakfast, you have stolen a meal that you need from yourself.

I like coconut milk, fatty cuts of meat, macadamia nuts, and mayonnaise to add fat to my meals. 

Thank you so much!

I wake up at 6:10 and head straight to the gym for my appointment with my trainer.  I don't eat before my workout because it makes me nauseous that early in the morning.

If I stuck to those rules, I would need to eat my full breakfast at 7:10am, when I'm still at the gym, in the middle of my training.  I get home at 7:45am - any suggestions on how to juggle that timing, the post work out meal, & breakfast?

Also - thanks for the suggestions on fat! I understand now that they occur as sauces/oils/condiments more than they occur as a solid food (nuts, avocado, olives)

• Moderators

I think in this case I would pack the few bites of post workout to eat in the car when you go home and then try and have breakfast as close to 8 as you can... That actually also helps your meal timing:

M1-8am

M2- Noon

MiniMeal 4pm

M3 - 7pm

• Moderators

Our recommendations are based upon what is ideal for your body. Your schedule and your sensitive stomach are not ideal. :) So we compromise. 

I don't eat within an hour of waking on weekdays. I am usually cooking breakfast 90 minutes after waking. I sleep until 7 AM, feed my dogs, and am working at my desk by 7:15 AM. My work allows for a break by 8:15-8:30, so that is when I eat breakfast. If I had trouble getting to sleep at night, I would have to consider getting up at 6:30 AM in order to eat breakfast before I need to be working, but I am in a pretty good place with sleep lately, so I continue to compromise by delaying breakfast a bit. 

Archived