Nails brittle and brows thinning

Hi guys,

My nails are getting white all over and breaking easily and my eyebrows are starting to fall out. I was taking a multi-vitamin and biotin before the whole30. I've past the 30 days, but have been continuing the meal plan. I know this signifies a deficiency and though I want to take a multi-vitamin to solve the problem, I'm wondering what I could be deficient in. What does this sound like? I'm currently taking Vitamin D, and I'm going to start taking Fish oil again and magnesium for sleep.

• Moderators

I would just point out that sometimes things are not necessarily food-related. Food can fix a lot of things, but there are things that cannot be fixed with food alone, or that even if they maybe possibly can be, would go a lot faster with medical intervention as well. I mention it because those two things can be symptoms of thyroid issues. They could also be a vitamin deficiency or something else entirely, but it might be worth scheduling a doctor's appointment to get stuff checked out just to be sure, since no one here on this forum could tell you for sure one way or another if that's what it is. 

By all means, post your meals as SugarcubeOD suggests, and let's see if anything leaps out at anyone that might be helpful for you, but just keep in mind that there might be other stuff going on.

I've never had this before the diet, only since the past couple of weeks.

M1: about 2 cups broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, can of tuna, half handful of chicken, tablespoon of almond butter, a few macadamia nuts, handful butternut squash

M2: same veggies as above, handful of chicken or can of tuna (maybe both), half avocado, a couple almonds

M3: same as M2, plus 2 handfuls of butternut squash

I do buy frozen veggies. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can cook at the moment.

When your body starts healing, it can also use more resources than it used to.

I'm healing from a bunch of conditions and my body uses up nutrients like crazy right now, but it's also healing like crazy so I don't want it to slow down  :)

Are you mostly eating tuna? No red meat? You could have a zinc deficiency (or iron or B vitamins - tuna is missing quite a few things found in red meat).

Make sure you get tested, most multivitamins won't treat a deficiency, the doses are too low and you can't just take extra pills (some things make you sick in high doses).

Some deficiencies are also not intake related, but your body is having trouble absorbing them (nuts and grains can inhibit absorption, along with many other things). You really need some blood tests and analysis to know. I have a genetic problem and multivitamins do nothing for me.

Archived