Turmeric tea / Golden Milk

NicoleLouise76

Hi there!

A friend just introduced me to Tumeric Tea and it's delicious! I also hear tumeric is mega good for you. I've been using this recipe from wellness mama, but leaving out the honey/maple syrup: http://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/

I've just had a mug before bed, but I wanted to ask - is this ok or does it fall into "drinking your calories"?

All of the ingredients in Golden Milk have amazing healing properties (although the honey/maple sweetener is off limits during your W30 as you've said), but since it's fat heavy I'd be inclined to have this with/directly after my meal 3 rather than before bed.

Also, while turmeric is derived from a rhizome, like ginger, some people with nut or legume sensitivities should use caution when trying turmeric in high volume. I have a friend whose daughter is allergic to both tree nuts and legumes and she reacts to even smallish amounts of turmeric. 

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

To all doing Golden Milk - drinking a cup of straight coconut milk is going to be extremely fat heavy. I would not do this daily, if at all. There's turmeric tea that you can make that doesn't involve that level of coconut milk, have a google. From my own perspective, although I use coconut milk in meals and daily in my coffee, every time I do the golden milk I feel nauseated and sick to my stomach......................because having a large amount of coconut milk straight at one time can be upsetting, digestively. Just be warned. 

It's just as effective to use dry or fresh turmeric in soups, hashes, scrambles, stews etc. 

My version of turmeric tea: 

Prep side:

Open a can of coconut milk, freeze in ice cube tray.

Mix some amount of turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, etc. into a jar.

Consumption side (usually at work):

On cube of coconut milk, defrost it, add hot water (probably 3/4-1 cup of water: one coconut cube) and 1-2 teaspoon turmeric spice mix.  Use a spoon to stir well.  I will also sometimes add a tea bag of cardamom cinnamon or chai tea.  Still nice and creamy, but nowhere near straight coconut milk. 

• 1 month later...

I almost never really measure things, so I usually free-hand it, but I would start with maybe the following ratios and adjust as necessary.  (I really like cinnamon, so I usually put a fair bit of that in in my own personal mixes.)

1 serving size:

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

pinch of cardamom and/or pepper

other options may include: pinches of clove or nutmeg.

_______

So, I usually make a big batch of the spice mix, enough to last a few weeks of having a serving a day and keep it in its own jar.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, jlbladow4304 said:

What about Golden Milk mix? It's made by Gaia Herbs and contains turmeric root, date palm fruit, cardamom seed, ashwagandha root, vanilla bean, and black pepper fruit. Seems like it would be fine? 

If you mean this stuff:   https://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/774/Golden-Milk it says in tiny print that it contains maltodextrin, which is a sweetener, so no, it's not okay for whole30.

Archived