Dry brittle nails and constipation

I've been doing the Whole 30 for just over 4 weeks. I was feeling great and the pounds were melting off the first two weeks. After that I can tell I'm staying the same and now my nails are dry and brittle, cracking and breaking, and I'm constipated.

What I eat:

I eat some form of eggs for breakfast everyday either with veggies, ham, bacon, sausage and/or sweet potatoes. I don't drink caffeine or carbonated beverages. I drink over 60 oz of water every day. I wake up late so my breakfast is late so I just have a banana, almond milk, almond flour (I'm too cheap for almond butter) and cinnamon smoothie or a Larabar in the afternoons, then supper I make something good like Whole 30 chili, sweet potato shepherd's pie, meatballs with marinara and zoodles, stuffed peppers, veggie soup, curry chicken and cauliflower rice, etc. You get the picture. If I'm hungry during the day or before bed I grab a handful of pistachios and a piece of kiwi or berries. 

My excerisce:

I do Blogilates beginner calendar nearly every day which consists of about 30 minutes or more of pilates, strength training and cardio.

So what am I doing wrong? How can I kickstart some weightloss, unconstipate myself and have healthy nails?

Thanks everyone!

I'd suggest ditching the smoothies (which are not recommended anyways), the larabars - which are for emergency use only (waking late not being considered an emergency), and the snacks of nuts (which are recommended to be limited to a closed handful every other day, are a poor source of fat, and notoriously hard on the digetsive system) & replace those with a well constructed third template meal.

If you're 120 pounds then 60 oz of water is fine, if not you need more.

And if you're exercising nearly every day you are seriously under eating - you make no menion of either pre or post workout meals....

Right now your body is in panic mode and has slowed down your metabolism in a bid to not lose valuable fat stores as there would appear to be a famine.

When your body then reaches a happy place, and if you need to lose weight, the magic will start to happen. Before that happens though your body needs to trust that you'll continue to feed eat wholesome, nourishing meals.

In short, you need to eat more.

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template?  It's linked below in my signature.

You list two different things for breakfast... the one that is banana, almond milk and almond flour is not sufficient food and we don't recommend smoothies.

Your lunch indicates a smoothie or a lara bar only and then you eat dinner?

Please take a look at the template and design your meals to mirror it.  They should last you between 4 and 5 hours and eating fruit and nuts on their own are a recipe for disaster.  Smoothies are discouraged as they digest much more quickly, are a huge sugar bomb and mess with hormones and satiety signals.

60oz of water is good for someone that weighs 120 pounds... 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight is the recommendation.

• Moderators

Essentially you are only eating 2 meals a day. You need 3 and probably a pre and/or Post Workout Meal (see the Meal Template for what to include for this).

Is your ham/bacon/sausage compliant? If there is sugar used in curing it (almost always) it is not acceptable on your Whole30.

Bananas and Larabars are likely your constipation culprit. And drinking more water is always helpful, as jmcbn and SugarcubeOD pointed out.

Archived