Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

I have been a bit MIA. Happy to catch up and see that you are all hanging in there and feeling better each day.

I had my behind kicked for a few days. I think it was a mix of things. My nightshifts (they suck at any time). My lack of chocolate (of course). My stupid menstrual cycle coinciding with our start date (hate being a girl sometimes). noooooo sleep!! (Never sleep with my nightshifts). And last but not least just not making sure all my meals followed the suggested template so I don't think I was getting enough nutrition overall. My food was compliant. Just not enough of it.

Well. I'm off to meal prep and go shopping!! Good luck everyone!!

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

​Our family has this running joke of thanking your past self for doing something that benefited you in the future. So:

Thanks, Past Leslie, for sticking to your Whole30 plan, drinking plenty of water, and going for a walk. Current Leslie is most appreciative!

Love this!

I was just thinking something similar this morning when I got up and was thankful that even tho I had cravings last night, I didn't feel terrible or guilty this morning because I didn't give in!

I have been a bit MIA. Happy to catch up and see that you are all hanging in there and feeling better each day.

I had my behind kicked for a few days. I think it was a mix of things. My nightshifts (they suck at any time). My lack of chocolate (of course). My stupid menstrual cycle coinciding with our start date (hate being a girl sometimes). noooooo sleep!! (Never sleep with my nightshifts). And last but not least just not making sure all my meals followed the suggested template so I don't think I was getting enough nutrition overall. My food was compliant. Just not enough of it.

Well. I'm off to meal prep and go shopping!! Good luck everyone!!

Glad you're doing well!

Happy Friday!

Today was a good day in many ways, even though I ended up working super late. A couple of interesting findings:

1. I feel lighter in general, more airy.

2. I noticed a small window of opportunity mid day, so I grabbed it and went for a brisk 10 minute walk around my office complex. It was lovely and just the break I needed.

3. I ate my well packed lunch (around noon, which is early for me, actually) and then was not hungry until 8:00pm, and even then I think I was honestly more wiped out from the long day than physically hungry. I had a small dinner and...that was all I needed! Mind you, most work days I'm literally almost constantly 'hungry' and snacking. I'd be dying by 5pm and have that low blood sugar hollow feel behind my eyes. Today I felt balanced! Not even really 'caring' about dinner tonight the way I'd otherwise be chomping at the bit for something, anything...

3. My moods already seem a bit more stable, less dark, and I have more patience.

4. I haven't had gum in five days, nor have I felt like I 'needed' it to relieve work stress.

I need to get on the ball for meals for this weekend. Have chicken and bacon thawing in the fridge. We'll shop tomorrow so I'll have a few more options shortly. Need to put the meal plan I've been working on in place so I'm prepared and ready for another good week. I'm having fun planning, cooking, and trying new things!

Meal Ideas for next week:

Bacon wrapped chicken tenders (meat anyone?)

Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs

Chocolate chili

Turkey burgers (the spice blends from Well Fed 2 are seriously my new favorite things ever)

Maybe the oven baked salmon cakes?

Have a great weekend!

Hi everyone! Day 5 is almost done! I had a pretty good day. Restocked on some stuff like the salad mixes i loveeee! You can find them at Costco. One mix has kale, sliced Brussels sprouts, etc. The other is an Asian mix. I don't use the dressing packets that are included. Instead I make the citrus vinaigrette and the Asian vinaigrette.

I thought I had gotten rid of all my junk stuff before we started on Monday and today I open one of my nightstand drawers and find a couple fun size Twix bars and some mini Kit-Kats! At first I think oh no! What am I gonna do?!?

But then after awhile I realized I didn't even want them! And right now when I'm about to relax and watch some TV, I don't even really care about them! I hope this lasts! I like this new feeling of self-control! How did everyone else do? Good luck for day 6 and the weekend!

Happy Friday!

Today was a good day in many ways, even though I ended up working super late. A couple of interesting findings:

1. I feel lighter in general, more airy.

2. I noticed a small window of opportunity mid day, so I grabbed it and went for a brisk 10 minute walk around my office complex. It was lovely and just the break I needed.

3. I ate my well packed lunch (around noon, which is early for me, actually) and then was not hungry until 8:00pm, and even then I think I was honestly more wiped out from the long day than physically hungry. I had a small dinner and...that was all I needed! Mind you, most work days I'm literally almost constantly 'hungry' and snacking. I'd be dying by 5pm and have that low blood sugar hollow feel behind my eyes. Today I felt balanced! Not even really 'caring' about dinner tonight the way I'd otherwise be chomping at the bit for something, anything...

3. My moods already seem a bit more stable, less dark, and I have more patience.

4. I haven't had gum in five days, nor have I felt like I 'needed' it to relieve work stress.

I need to get on the ball for meals for this weekend. Have chicken and bacon thawing in the fridge. We'll shop tomorrow so I'll have a few more options shortly. Need to put the meal plan I've been working on in place so I'm prepared and ready for another good week. I'm having fun planning, cooking, and trying new things!

Meal Ideas for next week:

Bacon wrapped chicken tenders (meat anyone?)

Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and meatballs

Chocolate chili

Turkey burgers (the spice blends from Well Fed 2 are seriously my new favorite things ever)

Maybe the oven baked salmon cakes?

Have a great weekend!

Doesn't it feel great not wanting something that you thought you couldn't live without? It's so uplifting isn't it?!

Hi everyone! Day 5 is almost done! I had a pretty good day. Restocked on some stuff like the salad mixes i loveeee! You can find them at Costco. One mix has kale, sliced Brussels sprouts, etc. The other is an Asian mix. I don't use the dressing packets that are included. Instead I make the citrus vinaigrette and the Asian vinaigrette.

I thought I had gotten rid of all my junk stuff before we started on Monday and today I open one of my nightstand drawers and find a couple fun size Twix bars and some mini Kit-Kats! At first I think oh no! What am I gonna do?!?

But then after awhile I realized I didn't even want them! And right now when I'm about to relax and watch some TV, I don't even really care about them! I hope this lasts! I like this new feeling of self-control! How did everyone else do? Good luck for day 6 and the weekend!

I, too, love that salad mix from Costco, with the Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, etc. Finished off a bag today! Same, I don't use the dressing - whether during a Whole30 or not. I have not tried the Asian mix but have heard that it's really good as well; maybe I'll change it up next week!

Hi, I'd love to join your group. I started on Feb.16th. So far so good, except for the terrible headache on the first night and lack of sleep. But it's getting better. I would love your support. I've been on every program out there and I lose weight and gain it all back and more. I really want to get healthy again

Day 5 done!!

Heidi: I'm with you on the library love!

Crock pot recipe has been sent to my printer...TY!

And sappy is good!

I too am sleepless, but it probably has more to do with me than anything else. I FEEL tired when I go to bed, but insomnia strikes! Tonight I am going to stay up and read until I can't hold my eyes open...

Tonight we had the steak salad from W30 (p.220) and that dressing is amazing! However, the cuts of beef I got (I thought "wow, good price for grass fed beef"), yeah, very chewy even after 12 hours in the marinade. The dog benefitted :P and we're all hungry again an hour later.

I have had some bloating today after 4 days of no-bloat, but probably due to allowing FODMAPs back into my diet (do a search for more info), bad idea. So, out with FODMAPs for me.

Tomorrow I'm not sure how much food prep I'll do since I have a class all afternoon, but I absolutely will make more almond milk. It is the bomb of a complement for my rooibos chai tea! I still am finding it hard to believe that I'm enjoying my tea without some sort of sweet stuff in it (usually stevia), but there you have it, miracles do happen!

Well team, have a fabulous weekend and stay strong!!

Hey, Everyone!

I'm behind the 8 ball on posting but better late than never! I started my whole 30 on the 15th like the rest of you. This is my second one-- first one was four years ago. It was life changing for me. I broke a major sugar addiction, became 'regular' for the first time in my life, and learned that some types of food adversely affect how I feel. After the completion, I began eating Paleo. I ate well for about a year, then I got lazy.

I'm now 51 y/o, perimenopausal, dealing w/joint aches, and 15 pounds heavier. I knew it was time.

This time around has been a bit easier (fingers crossed!) I still deal w/ cravings, so I find something to do for 5 minutes & that helps. I DO like flaked coconut and cashews!!! Got to watch THAT!

Way to hang in there, you guys! It's gonna be worth it!

Welcome Splash883 and Lydia57!

We're here for you!

Ok, I had the donut dream last night! Ha! Man, was that feeling of guilt REAL. Funny thing is I'm not even a huge donut person. I like them (I mean come on) but very rarely do I ever have one. So funny! And thank goodness it was just a dream.

Tried coconut milk (from the can) in my coffee again this morning. Not a huge fan. Went back to my almond milk. I noticed yesterday and again this morning that after drinking coffee with coconut milk, I get a little bit of a scratchy throat. Hmm.

Read more of Whole30 last night. Love the simple recipes for 'perfect' chicken, salmon, etc. I can tell those are going to come in super handy.

I love reading your posts; like someone else said, they come into my email on my phone and help keep me focused and enthusiastic all day. Priceless!

I'm going out for a short jog this morning -

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Hello everyone!  

I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  Thank you all for sharing this part of your lives!

I am still having trouble sleeping and feel incredibly bloated.  Like all of a sudden, I have swollen twice my normal size.  (That's a total exaggeration, but how I feel of course.)  Going to increase my water intake and stay focused.

Can I share with y'all my menu for today???  It is so delicious I am excited for every meal today!  I'm eating THREE meals at work today, so I have this all planned and ready to eat out of my little cooler:

Breakfast:  sauteed coleslaw mix with bacon ends topped with eggs over-easy, blueberries

Lunch:  Leftover golden cauliflower soup sprinkled with bacon leftovers and grilled chicken

Supper:  Nom-nom Paleo Spicy Tuna Cakes with homemade mayo on salad greens, mandran oranges

Snacks:  I have some nuts, salami and fresh veggies to snack on if I need to.

SO GOOD you guys.  

Have a good day everyone!

Michelle

Greetings, Day 6ers!  Well, it happened. I had my first "cheat" dream (and not the fun kind I usually have).

This time instead of George Clooney, it was an ice cream float. I looked down at it and thought How did this get here? It looked like it was already half-eaten. I shouted down the hall to my husband "Looks like I'm going to have to restart my Whole30!" and then I gobbled the rest of it up!

It was ... ok. Not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be. And then I felt bad that I was going to have to restart my Whole30 for something that wasn't all that great.

Boy, was I relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream!

Michelle, your menu sounds great! Nice job planning! I feel like it makes me feel more prepared in general, not just re: meals. Hope your shift is going well!

All I have to say is A: I'm in a really great mood today (the combination of Saturday, warm weather, and day 6 of the Whole30 basically has me giddy). And B: if I'm hungry this coming week, something is seriously wrong with me. We went food shopping today and I have so much meat, vegetables, and fruit at the ready! We're grilling some chicken and turkey burgers tonight (hello 60 degrees in February!) and tomorrow morning while my boyfriend is at work, I'm going to prep some more. I bought chicken, chicken sausage, cauliflower, eggs, asparagus, blueberries, garlic, potatoes, canned salmon, olives, etc etc. I didn't break the bank either, between building on what I already have stocked and shopping a few different stores, my end bill was reasonable.

I bought myself a treat because they were on sale - Love Beets cooked beets!

I, too, love that salad mix from Costco, with the Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, etc. Finished off a bag today! Same, I don't use the dressing - whether during a Whole30 or not. I have not tried the Asian mix but have heard that it's really good as well; maybe I'll change it up next week!

Both of those salad mixes are really good! I add chicken breast pieces, a fruit, a large pinch of nuts and a couple tablespoons of a vinaigrette. It's my favorite meal!

Hi, I'd love to join your group. I started on Feb.16th. So far so good, except for the terrible headache on the first night and lack of sleep. But it's getting better. I would love your support. I've been on every program out there and I lose weight and gain it all back and more. I really want to get healthy again

Welcome! Glad you could join us! I hope you're doing well with the whole30!

Hey, Everyone!

I'm behind the 8 ball on posting but better late than never! I started my whole 30 on the 15th like the rest of you. This is my second one-- first one was four years ago. It was life changing for me. I broke a major sugar addiction, became 'regular' for the first time in my life, and learned that some types of food adversely affect how I feel. After the completion, I began eating Paleo. I ate well for about a year, then I got lazy.

I'm now 51 y/o, perimenopausal, dealing w/joint aches, and 15 pounds heavier. I knew it was time.

This time around has been a bit easier (fingers crossed!) I still deal w/ cravings, so I find something to do for 5 minutes & that helps. I DO like flaked coconut and cashews!!! Got to watch THAT!

Way to hang in there, you guys! It's gonna be worth it!

So glad you could join us! Good luck on this round!

Hello everyone!  

I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  Thank you all for sharing this part of your lives!

I am still having trouble sleeping and feel incredibly bloated.  Like all of a sudden, I have swollen twice my normal size.  (That's a total exaggeration, but how I feel of course.)  Going to increase my water intake and stay focused.

Can I share with y'all my menu for today???  It is so delicious I am excited for every meal today!  I'm eating THREE meals at work today, so I have this all planned and ready to eat out of my little cooler:

Breakfast:  sauteed coleslaw mix with bacon ends topped with eggs over-easy, blueberries

Lunch:  Leftover golden cauliflower soup sprinkled with bacon leftovers and grilled chicken

Supper:  Nom-nom Paleo Spicy Tuna Cakes with homemade mayo on salad greens, mandran oranges

Snacks:  I have some nuts, salami and fresh veggies to snack on if I need to.

SO GOOD you guys.  

Have a good day everyone!

Michelle

I love the spicy tuna cakes from nom-nom Paleo! I sometimes eat them in between two roasted eggplant slices with lettuce, mayo,ketchup, and mustard. I'm going to make some Paleo Sriracha soon so I might add that too!

Greetings, Day 6ers!  Well, it happened. I had my first "cheat" dream (and not the fun kind I usually have).

This time instead of George Clooney, it was an ice cream float. I looked down at it and thought How did this get here? It looked like it was already half-eaten. I shouted down the hall to my husband "Looks like I'm going to have to restart my Whole30!" and then I gobbled the rest of it up!

It was ... ok. Not nearly as good as I'd hoped it would be. And then I felt bad that I was going to have to restart my Whole30 for something that wasn't all that great.

Boy, was I relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream!

That is so funny!! In my cheat dream I was eating icecream too! But I wasn't so calm about it!

Good-bye day 6! We're almost done with our first week! I can't believe it! Now that I think about it, it kinda flew by. Tomorrow I'm gonna do some major prepping. I'm gonna try to make some chicken nuggets and Sriracha! I've also got to plan my veggie sides. I was disappointed that when I did my shopping costco didn't have any fresh broccoli and I had to get frozen. When I try steaming it in a double broiler it comes out a bit watery. Any suggestions?

Hey Everyone - still doing well over here. Went out to dinner and a movie tonight and I did well! Had a steak with a plain garden salad and a water. Brought my own healthy snack for the movie and even held onto my husbands popcorn for a few minutes without eating a single kernel!!! High fived myself for that accomplishment :)

Hope you are all doing well! Keep up the good work everyone and keep the updates coming as it too helps me stay motivated during the day!!!

Hey Everyone - still doing well over here. Went out to dinner and a movie tonight and I did well! Had a steak with a plain garden salad and a water. Brought my own healthy snack for the movie and even held onto my husbands popcorn for a few minutes without eating a single kernel!!! High fived myself for that accomplishment :)

Hope you are all doing well! Keep up the good work everyone and keep the updates coming as it too helps me stay motivated during the day!!!

Karen that is so great! I haven't eaten out yet and I am a bit nervous. Restaurants are places where I would tend to indulge.

Archived