Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

Welcome to week two!

I was away for Sat-Sun, hence being quiet on the forum. However I did really enjoy reading the many posts!

I had 2 issues over the weekend.

1-It was so, so hard to be away with 3 other people who were eating and drinking anything they liked, also I never noticed how much cake and treats were everywhere!!!!!! I didn't stray, I chose well when we ate out and drank about a million gallons of sparking water! I really was shocked at myself how good I was...hurray!

2- I had a huge coughing fit on Saturday in the car, I couldn't stop I had used my water up at the time so took 1 small sip/mouthful of the only other drink at the time- a diet cola. It was literally one mouthful and I had rejected it 3 times before I had to have something to help. It was a few miles until there was somewhere to pull in. I had posted on another forum about this as I started to think I should start over. I have home made all my meals and not gone off plan once in the whole 6 days prior to that sip. It also wasn't a case of me thinking about a little treat or anything, it was to help me out. The forum posts were mainly about people who had chosen to go off plan in a bigger way - a whole can of soda or whatever. I was unsure if I needed to restart - I didn't have anything before or after that one mouthful that hasn't been on plan so I asked for guidance with a mixed response....

My conclusion is I am going to carry on and if at the end of my 30 days I feel I should I can continue for 5 more...I don't feel like I have cheated...I feel proud of how much will power I have had to find to get through the 7 days already...

It is great to hear how amazing everyone is feeling, but I must admit I am a little disheartened. I still feel pretty terrible and exhausted, add to that bloated, headache and just generally down. My motivation is dropping, I feel like I am putting so much effort in to this and getting less than nothing back. Feeling very close to giving up. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong? Or is my body just slow and reluctant?

Good morning everyone!

I love that when I get up in the morning there are so many posts to read through. Sets me up for a good day on Whole30!

I have a lot I want to comment on but not much time as I need to get ready for work. I just wanted to say for now:

Sarah, I'm not sure what others will say but I personally think that in your situation you just need to decide for yourself what to do (as it sounds like you have!) I read a lot of 'You're an adult' in the Whole30 book, which is intending to remind us that we have to do what makes sense for us (though remaining honest with ourselves and within the guidelines, since why else did we commit to the program?) I personally feel like your situation is different than say, someone who chooses to eat pancakes for breakfast or drink an entire can of soda intentionally, like you said. I think your plan is a good one - extend the program if you're feeling like you want to 'make up for' the sip of soda. Keep an eye on any cravings and just stick to the plan today. Just my two cents.

LaG: we are still SUPER early on in the program - our bodies are really just starting the change process (hence the bloating and moods and everything). Totally normal, and totally in line right now to not see any of the bigger changes yet! I think some of the physical stuff each of us goes through is related to how we are pre program, too. And we're all just different!

I thought to myself yesterday: Don't quit five minutes before he miracle. This Totally speaks to me right now. I too was having some second thoughts yesterday as I was spending hours in the kitchen prepping! Ride it out - it will be worth it.

If you're feeling less-than-motivated, maybe find a way to get a little inspiration into your week: a new food to try, a new kitchen gadget, an inspiring book or blog...and us of course! I'm glad you said something. I agree that this program is challenging in many ways! We got this!!

Good morning folks: Congratulations on completing your 1st week. I believe you are all on Day 8, correct? I'm part of a group that started on February 8th and am currently on Day 15, so half way there. I was just looking through some of the threads and seeing what folks are experiencing when I came across this one and wanted to provide a little positive reinforcement. It WILL get easier and it will become more effortless than how you may have felt the past few days. if you happen to go through the timeline on what to expect in each phase you will find it surprisingly accurate. If you are anything like me, you've been on ALOT of different programs, including some that had very fast results which were frequently measured by the scale. I ask myself if those programs every really served me properly and the answer is absolutely NOT. This program is completely different than anything I've done in the past and I owe it to myself to see it through to the whole 30. That's what I committed to and that's what I'm going to do.... unless I trip and fall into a piece of cake, then I can't say what might happen :) .

A few NSV's for me:

I am NOT hungry

I am NOT craving anything (usually I'm a sugarholic)

I've broken my addiction to artificial sweetener's that I've had on everything for 30 years

I'm eating delicious foods

I'm less bloated

I have more patience

I feel more focused

Just basic overall feeling of "goodness"

I've connected with a lot of great people on these threads

A few things that are tougher for me:

I've never cooked and cleaned so much in my life - and I enjoy cooking

The scale is constantly calling to me. I want to step on it badly, but I KNOW it will not serve me at all. If I see a number I don't like, I'll give up immediately and sabotage myself.

Good luck on the journey all. I'm rooting for you all. You can do this. If you want to check out what we are feeling at the half way point, check out our thread on "Started Feb 8th".

• Moderators

It is great to hear how amazing everyone is feeling, but I must admit I am a little disheartened. I still feel pretty terrible and exhausted, add to that bloated, headache and just generally down. My motivation is dropping, I feel like I am putting so much effort in to this and getting less than nothing back. Feeling very close to giving up.

Seven days in is still pretty early on, and many people are still not feeling the magic at this point, so you're not necessarily weird for not feeling great yet. If you're concerned, head over to the troubleshooting part of the forum and start a new thread. Post a day or two of what you've been eating, including approximate portion sizes, water intake, sleep, and exercise, and see if anyone notices anything that you might want to change to improve things.

Hi, 

I too am feeling bloated and with a headache this morning.  Yesterday I felt great, but after reading the timeline, I feel that this is most likely part of the process.  I did hot yoga this morning and that helped greatly, for both my body and mind!  I think it's that one step forward, two steps back thing for awhile and then we'll keep going forward!!!  Referring to the timeline has helped a lot.  It is surprisingly accurate.   (I got through wanting to kill my husband, the dog, the iPad, etc., so we're all breathing a sigh of relief around here.)

Excited to have one week down.  I am way behind on meal prep and shopping, so that is for this afternoon.  I don't want to get stuck without a compliant meal.  

I too workout, doing some cardio and workouts with weights, in addition to yoga.   I have also found that I definitely need to eat a small amount after and if it's been awhile since a meal, a small amount of protein before helps too.  

Have a good day everyone.

Hi, all. Survived the weekend and stayed with the program! Yay! I did notice some fatigue, but checked the timeline, and remembered the same thing happened on my first W30 at days 6 and 7. I did manage to do a mini-cook-up yesterday so I have a few things prepared for meals this week. I made kalua pork for dinner last night, and have leftovers for other meals this week. I also baked some chicken thighs, turkey/blueberry muffins and home-made pork sausages, and baked a couple of sweet potatoes so I have them for a easy option to add a veggie to my breakfast. I also put my own spin on MJ's golden cauliflower soup, so I have that to take to work for my lunch. 

All this talk about working out is inspiring me to want to go for a run when I get home from work. That counts, right? I really appreciate reading about how everyone is doing. It helps to stay motivated.  :) Happy week two!

Thanks to all the support from all of you I was able to get a workout in at 9 this morning! I'm so glad I did it! Even though I looked like a fool for 30 minutes trying to follow Shaun t's moves but I got it done! Thanks you guys!

Wanted to congratulate everyone for week one being done and the week 2 start. My husband and I survived an overnight road trip as well. A cooler of whole30 compliant food and quality research on restaurants helped a lot. We got looks walking into the hotel with a giant cooler, but totally worth it. My husband started out doing this reluctantly (mostly just to support me). Now on week 2 he is all in. He's had a lot more gains than me so far but we are both coming out of the fatigue and fog and feeling a lot better. He's already talking about eating like this all the time. That must be a good sign.

Hi, gang. Congrats to all of us on making it through our first week!

Today what I'm noticing so far (mind you, it's only 12:30 pm here) is that I'm really not interested very much in food. It's hard to explain: I've got tasty food here. I got hungry. The logical part of my brain was tasting the food and appreciating its good flavor ... but I'm just not getting any sort of buzz off it. It's just like "Meh. yeah. That's food."

Hard to explain. I'll have to experience it longer and see if I can explain better going forward.

Hello! Day 8...almost done!

Today was pretty good, even for a Monday. I worked from home and really noticed the beauty and colors of my meals. And I didn't. have. eggs. for breakfast! (I did end up having them at lunch but...still, it's a step forward). For breakfast I had leftover grilled chicken, leftover grilled asparagus and green beans, avocado, and salsa. I have been craving salsa, go figure. It was such an amazing looking and tasting meal. I couldn't believe the stark contrast between that and a bowl of cereal or whatever the heck I'd usually eat for breakfast. 

Lunch was hard boiled eggs (with hot sauce, my new favorite thing), roasted green beans, celery with almond butter, and blueberries.

NSV for me: working from home and not eating everything in (or out of) sight. I used to maniacally crave chocolate mid afternoon when I'd get tired, and once I broke that door open (which I always, inevitably, would), I couldn't stop. I'm talking binge mode, drug (sugar!!) addict trying to get a fix. That right there is one of my main motivators for doing the program - breaking that addictive cycle. 

Also, I'm learning that I love roasted vegetables, and vegetables in general. Today I roasted carrots, green beans, and potatoes. I also hard boiled a few eggs but really need to make a few more to stock up properly for the next few days.

Feeling a bit lazy about prepping/making the tomato sauce for my spaghetti squash. I'm toying with the idea of just dumping the can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes on top of it. I've been really tired these past couple days! Went to bed at 8:30 last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it...

Day #8 and I did it, I actually exercised!!!! Thanks Naz786 for the encouragement and push in the right direction. Despite the fact that I actually did it, I can 100% say that I did NOT rock it! LOL. I have not worked out for about a year. So it was pretty hard for me today. The beach body program that I am following is a 12 week program, but I think that for one full week I am just going to do the intro video every day. Hopefully at the end of one week I can make it through the 45 minutes without stopping (there were lots of rest breaks today!).  Once I can make it through the whole video, then I will actually move through the program.

As for the Whole30 part.... I had good energy today, still feeling less bloated, and appetite is less then it has been in the past. Its amazing how when you actually eat well balanced meals you don't find yourself starving 2 hours later.

I am missing my sweets, but I have not had any crazy I GOTTA HAVE CHOCOLATE cravings today.

Way to stick with it everyone!!

Day 8 - I have been feeling good since the beginning but today....I am tired, I have a headache and I am kinda grumpy too. 

Regardless, I have eaten well, did a little exercise and now drinking some tea and sulking about nothing? something? who knows. I am sure I will sleep whatever this is off. See you tomorrow.

Day 8 - I have been feeling good since the beginning but today....I am tired, I have a headache and I am kinda grumpy too. 

Regardless, I have eaten well, did a little exercise and now drinking some tea and sulking about nothing? something? who knows. I am sure I will sleep whatever this is off. See you tomorrow.

Hope you feel better tomorrow!!

Hello! Day 8...almost done!

Today was pretty good, even for a Monday. I worked from home and really noticed the beauty and colors of my meals. And I didn't. have. eggs. for breakfast! (I did end up having them at lunch but...still, it's a step forward). For breakfast I had leftover grilled chicken, leftover grilled asparagus and green beans, avocado, and salsa. I have been craving salsa, go figure. It was such an amazing looking and tasting meal. I couldn't believe the stark contrast between that and a bowl of cereal or whatever the heck I'd usually eat for breakfast. 

Lunch was hard boiled eggs (with hot sauce, my new favorite thing), roasted green beans, celery with almond butter, and blueberries.

NSV for me: working from home and not eating everything in (or out of) sight. I used to maniacally crave chocolate mid afternoon when I'd get tired, and once I broke that door open (which I always, inevitably, would), I couldn't stop. I'm talking binge mode, drug (sugar!!) addict trying to get a fix. That right there is one of my main motivators for doing the program - breaking that addictive cycle. 

Also, I'm learning that I love roasted vegetables, and vegetables in general. Today I roasted carrots, green beans, and potatoes. I also hard boiled a few eggs but really need to make a few more to stock up properly for the next few days.

Feeling a bit lazy about prepping/making the tomato sauce for my spaghetti squash. I'm toying with the idea of just dumping the can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes on top of it. I've been really tired these past couple days! Went to bed at 8:30 last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it...

Heidi I too would eat one "bad" thing and that would be the gateway to uncontrollable binging. That's why right now I'm so amazed that I don't even want those things anymore! Thanks to you I know am in love with roasting my vegetable too! The flavor is just still amazing! You should try roasting cauliflower rice! I tried that tonight and it was the best thing ever!

Day #8 and I did it, I actually exercised!!!! Thanks Naz786 for the encouragement and push in the right direction. Despite the fact that I actually did it, I can 100% say that I did NOT rock it! LOL. I have not worked out for about a year. So it was pretty hard for me today. The beach body program that I am following is a 12 week program, but I think that for one full week I am just going to do the intro video every day. Hopefully at the end of one week I can make it through the 45 minutes without stopping (there were lots of rest breaks today!).  Once I can make it through the whole video, then I will actually move through the program.

As for the Whole30 part.... I had good energy today, still feeling less bloated, and appetite is less then it has been in the past. Its amazing how when you actually eat well balanced meals you don't find yourself starving 2 hours later.

I am missing my sweets, but I have not had any crazy I GOTTA HAVE CHOCOLATE cravings today.

Way to stick with it everyone!!

Rikki, I looked ridiculous dancing to Shaun t's moves! I'm just glad we're doing this in our homes!

There are always ups and downs. Don't worry tomorrow will be so much better! Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Adios day 8! Today was crazy day! First of all I got a workout in thanks to Rikki, Karen, and the gang! What was weird today was I was hungrier than yesterday. I don't know if this was because of the workout or I didn't eat enough. Our maybe it was just a weird day.

I went to my sister's house today and this was the first time during whole30. My mom was there as well. I was prepared and took my salad with me because I knew I would be there when it would be time for lunch. My sister knew that I'm doing the whole30 so she understood. My mother got a bit upset that I brought my meal along with me! I haven't told her because of the past extreme dieting/exercising ice done so she would just assume that this is one of those again. I just thought it would be best to not tell her. She was offended today and I just told bet that this what I eat even at home at this time and this is what I'm gonna have. She knows I'm pretty stubborn and gave up after awhile. I felt bad for the way she felt but I felt soooooooo good that I didn't cave in! I do have self-control!

Also, I've discovered that I love roasted cauliflower rice! Cauliflower rice has become a base of my dinners pretty often. Now that I tried rotating it I think I'll be having that even more!

Let's see how day 9 will go!

Good luck everyone!

Naz

Hi everyone! Great job on Day 8!! I can hardly believe we're in week 2...

Today I have felt pretty good. But I am TIRED. And I've been spending SO much time in the kitchen. I kind of like it, but it honestly feels like I am spending more time food prepping than anything else.

Tonight after 3 hours of doing whatever I do in there, I told my husband "tomorrow we're having burger-less burgers and oven fried potatoes". Blank look, so I repeated myself verbatim. He said "burger-less burgers??". I told him I'd been in the kitchen too long. We got a good laugh out of it  :D

I had my 5 yo great-niece this afternoon. After ballet she wanted to go get ice cream (of course!), so we picked up my 15 yo at school and headed for the burger joint. I then sat for 30 minutes watching them eat. It was a bit rough. I told her next week we're going to the book store...she said "frozen yogurt!!" Oh my.

My body is still super sore from Saturday's yoga and yesterday's hike. I did some at home yoga today and took a half hour walk with the dog.

I guess that's all I have to report.

Oh, I'm still pretty much hungry all the time. Anyone else have fears (probably irrational) that they will gain weight rather than lose? 

Oh, I'm still pretty much hungry all the time. Anyone else have fears (probably irrational) that they will gain weight rather than lose? 

I haven't feared that I would gain, but I am worried I wont lose. I know this is NOT about weight loss, but with changing the way I eat so drastically it has got to be a perk right!?  So if I don't lose at least 5lbs I know I will be super disappointed and I don't know how I will react to that. I am a huge emotional eater, so I pray if I don't lose weight  that I don't just say screw it and revert back to my old ways at the end. :unsure:

Burgerless burgers sound delicious!! Ha! Somebody's tired....

Good job sticking with it and being prepared, Naz. So easy to succumb to pressure from others, and you didn't! Like Mel Joulwan says, if people don't stop badgering, "Look them straight in the eye and say 'I'm choosing to make my health a priority right now'."

I'm not necessarily afraid I won't lose, because I'm doing this for other reasons than weight loss, but I did wonder about it yesterday. I'm noticing subtle changes in my body, not necessarily weight related (?) but almost...body composition related. Like structure has changed a little or something. Maybe that's just the bloating having gone down. MizRik, I hear you-I am a huge emotional eater too. I'm sure you'll note so many benefits at the end that no matter what, going back to old ways of eating will seem less than ideal. Let's not worry about all this now; we have time!

I got invited to my first dining out experience last night! On Friday we'll be celebrating my dads birthday at a Japanese restaurant. I've already started searching the Internet/my books for guidance, and am thinking I'll have something small beforehand so I'm not starving, order a club soda with lemon and olives (for the festive part), bring my coconut aminos (glad they'll come in handy; that little bottle was expensive!), and order sashimi. What else? Anyone have any ideas, experience, or good info sources? I'm kind of excited for sashimi; it's such a delicacy :)

Can you believe we're already on day 9? Crazy to think we've literally eaten nothing but whole foods for over a week now.

(And crazy to think that in this day and age, doing that is a feat!) Our ancestors would be like, 'What?'

Prepped for my meals today last night too. Loving this marinated salad I throw together: 4 cups kale (I use the salad mix from Costco I've talked about), 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt, and a pinch of cayenne. Let it marinate, and it's awesome! Watch out, that lemon is powerful-but you can adjust how much you use to your liking. So fast and delicious! Topping it with leftover meat and an avocado.

Have a great day!

Working night shifts can get long and boring in a hospital when there are no patients. Good for other people that they are not here, bad for me because its painful to stay awake!! We have an elliptical here at work and I got on it for an hour. Yes I did just get payed to exercise while at work. That actually makes two workouts for me in one day and I DONT WORKOUT!! Kinda crazy!!

The nurses were just as bored as I was, so they ordered pizza!! I LOVE PIZZA!!! I decided to eat my healthy stir-fry before their pizza got here.  Even though I was not super hungry at the time I figured I would be less tempted to slip and eat pizza if my belly was nice and full. Crazy enough, when it got here, it was not even a temptation at all. Didn't even smell good. YAY!! NSV!!

Also while being consumed by boredom I watched the documentary "Fed Up." It is all about our countries poor food quality, the food industry being in it for money and not really caring about our health (not matter what they say) and all the SUGAR in our American diets. It was crazy to watch right now as I am going through this journey. They focused on overweight children more then anything. That broke my heart. They actually had a 15 year old boy getting gastric surgery as he was almost 400lbs. If you ever want something to do, I suggest you watch it. It leaves you pretty frustrated though as changing our lives is so hard to do with the way food is produced. :angry:

Well, as the rest of you are now waking up to start your days, I am off to bed!

GOOD LUCK today everyone!! You all got this, no question about it!!

Hi everyone! So happy to see everyone on here and sticking with it!

I'm feeling pretty good, not amazing, but I'm just chugging along. Weekend was super busy for me and I had no time to batch cook, and times between meals was longer than I would have liked but I'm back on track now. I stocked up on meat and froze it so hopefully cooking will be less stressful. I still feel like I'm cooking all the veggies, all the time. 

I'm pretty much on Whole30 autopilot- I didn't even know what day I was on until I checked the forum just now.

Hope you're all having a great week!

Also I am hosting 2 get togethers this week and spending $$ on alcohol for everyone else- seems crazy but I don't mind. Also making guac for craft night tomorrow and offering chip, but veggies too!

Archived