Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

Starting Day 8 and I have to say I'm so surprised and SUPER proud of my kids! (6 and 2.)  While we did have a "kill all the things" sort of weekend and I can see the stress from their carb withdrawls, they have been so strong.  At Sunday School I sent each of them with "treats"- one an organic fruit leather, the other 1/2 a Larabar & a few apple chips.  The 6 year old refused the chocolate chip cookie from his teacher but happily accepted the green grapes!  My 2 year old wears an "allergy alert" pin to help out- when an adult bent over to take a closer look at it she said, "It says Please Don't Feed Me!"  

They talk about their cravings, and we have ensured them we are having them too. 

One thing is for sure: doing this with kids and spouse keeps me accountable and on track. :)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Great job on Day 8!! I can hardly believe we're in week 2...

Oh, I'm still pretty much hungry all the time. Anyone else have fears (probably irrational) that they will gain weight rather than lose?

I don't think I'm gaining weight but I am paranoid that I won't lose any/enough. I had a tendency to severely restrict my caloric intake, weigh myself daily, and do workouts like insanity, insanity max30, etc. And then when I would feel happy about where I'd gotten my weight to, I'd relax and not realize the binging that would slowly creep in. So I'm used to losing weight rapidly and I have a feeling with this program is gonna be slow. I wish I lose 10-15 pounds in this round but I don't think that is gonna happen. That's why I'm so worried about stepping on the scale on day 31 like rikki,I feel as if I don't lose much that I'll give up and end up even worse than where I started. I'm hoping this doesn't happen. We've still got weeks to get over our fears!

Hi, gang. Congrats to all of us on making it through our first week!

Today what I'm noticing so far (mind you, it's only 12:30 pm here) is that I'm really not interested very much in food. It's hard to explain: I've got tasty food here. I got hungry. The logical part of my brain was tasting the food and appreciating its good flavor ... but I'm just not getting any sort of buzz off it. It's just like "Meh. yeah. That's food."

Hard to explain. I'll have to experience it longer and see if I can explain better going forward.

I had/have the exact same thing. It's difficult to force myself to eat beyond just enough to stop the hunger rumblings (and it's definitely not enough food, it consists of about 4 bites and I'm like, "ya, that was great, I'm done now". My husband devours everything. Breakfast is great but lunch and supper, not so much. It will be interesting to see if this changes.

I don't think I'm gaining weight but I am paranoid that I won't lose any/enough. I had a tendency to severely restrict my caloric intake, weigh myself daily, and do workouts like insanity, insanity max30, etc. And then when I would feel happy about where I'd gotten my weight to, I'd relax and not realize the binging that would slowly creep in. So I'm used to losing weight rapidly and I have a feeling with this program is gonna be slow. I wish I lose 10-15 pounds in this round but I don't think that is gonna happen. That's why I'm so worried about stepping on the scale on day 31 like rikki,I feel as if I don't lose much that I'll give up and end up even worse than where I started. I'm hoping this doesn't happen. We've still got weeks to get over our fears!

Oh my goodness I can so relate to this thread. I'm on Day 16 (started on Feb. 8th) and have that same sinking feeling that I'm not going to experience the weight loss that I want. I'm trying to change my entire way of thinking and keep saying to myself that I feel better, I'm not hungry, i'm not overeating, I'm NOT craving sugars (huge), I'm not having artificial sweeteners (something I've had for 30 years). I have ALWAYS been obsessed by the scale to the point that I know that if I step on it and I don't see the results I want then I'll immediately sabotage myself, and that I want to avoid at all costs.

Hopefully we can all stay focused on the entire process to see where it leads. I think I'd be feeling better overall if I wasn't battling bronchitis right now, so I have that to contend with, but overall I'm feeling pretty good. Hang in there folks. All of us going through this journey will learn valuable things by the 30 days.

Well we are nearing the end of Day 9! Yay us!

So I have been sick in bed since yesterday, I headed to work stayed for 3 hours then made my way home. I have had barely any appetite, so  I have been eating smaller meals more often because I just can't sit down and eat a meal at the moment.

I've had a fever, hot and cold sweats, coughing, trouble breathing and runny nose. Normally I would take a whole lot of Buckleys and always have cough drops around. This has been very difficult NOT to give in, but I have managed this far. I have been drinking a whole lot of tea and water…..and good thing I made a soup Sunday its almost all that I can eat.

Normally when I'm sick I snack on salty chips, I don't know why but I do, its felt great NOT to do that this time around.

Workouts did not begin for me on Monday due to this illness, but as soon as I am better I will join you all :)

Keep up the good work everyone! Even if we don't feel any results now….we are ONLY 9 days in. We have to think about how long we have been eating poorly…..things aren't going to change overnight…..it takes time!!! We go this!

Well we are nearing the end of Day 9! Yay us!

So I have been sick in bed since yesterday, I headed to work stayed for 3 hours then made my way home. I have had barely any appetite, so  I have been eating smaller meals more often because I just can't sit down and eat a meal at the moment.

I've had a fever, hot and cold sweats, coughing, trouble breathing and runny nose. Normally I would take a whole lot of Buckleys and always have cough drops around. This has been very difficult NOT to give in, but I have managed this far. I have been drinking a whole lot of tea and water…..and good thing I made a soup Sunday its almost all that I can eat.

Normally when I'm sick I snack on salty chips, I don't know why but I do, its felt great NOT to do that this time around.

Workouts did not begin for me on Monday due to this illness, but as soon as I am better I will join you all :)

Keep up the good work everyone! Even if we don't feel any results now….we are ONLY 9 days in. We have to think about how long we have been eating poorly…..things aren't going to change overnight…..it takes time!!! We go this!

Oh my I hope you feel better soon! That is amazing that even when you felt so blah,you still didn't give in! Maybe since you're eating healthier, the flu/cold will get better faster! Good luck and get better soon!

So far day 9 is going pretty well. I worked out this morning and I was already sore from yesterday's workout. I didn't realize that not working out for like a month or so got me so out of shape! Lol Rikki, now you've got me thinking hmm mm maybe I should go for a brisk "walk" on my elliptical after dinner! Let's see if I'll have time. Happy day 9 everyone!

Day 9!  Still waking up with a headache, but I think that's mostly due to other stresses. (We're building a house :) )  However, I slept a solid 9 hours last night, which felt wonderful.  

I didn't make it to the store yesterday, so lunch time was less than optimal.  Learned a big lesson there-for the first time I had big cravings, sugar dragon was roaring!!!   :angry:  I was out running errands and grocery shopping and got stuck waiting in the checkout line next to the candy.  It took all of my self control not to grab something and throw it in with the rest of my purchases.  Made it home, I've had a snack and now I can start dinner.  I literally could not have waited.  I also leaned that I should carry a snack if I'm going to be gone for a few hours or more.  

I feel really good otherwise-I just feel lighter.   I don't feel as sluggish and foggy. I can tell some of the bloat is disappearing-rings are looser, etc.  Encouraging!

I FINALLY MADE IT IN HERE!  I've been following along with everyone since we started on the 15th.  I just never received my validation email so today I changed my email address and poof! I got in!  So short version to catch up...It's going great!  The longer version is below if you care to read.

My husband is doing this with me so that has helped a lot! Today I caught him weighing himself and that ticked me off!  I have an unhealthy relationship with the scale but have not even been tempted to step on it!  I didn't even ask if he had lost weight because I knew if he did (and I can tell he has!) it would just make me madder!  Over it now though, I hid the scale, LOL! :rolleyes:

One crazy dream on day 6 that I was eating a melting Hershey with almond bar (I don't even like Hershey bars that much!). It made such a mess, got on my phone and before I knew it I had actually eaten bites out of my phone!  Next thing I knew I was eating a rice and bean filled tortilla! (but it had brussel sprouts in it too!)  I was so mad at myself...thankfully I woke up and there were no candy or Taco Bell wrappers to be found! :)

We both work for airlines and are on a long stretch off at home so that's why we decided to start the 15th, 2 full weeks before we go back to work.  That has made it easier.  I currently have 2 crock pots going, one with a pork roast the other with a beef roast.  I did lots of prepping and shopping for several days in a row in the beginning.  We had very little W30 compliant items on hand!

We always had a little "happy hour" everyday to include appetizers and alcohol.  That has been a huge change for us.  My husband still has "HH" but it's soda water with lemon or lime or sometimes he gets crazy and uses them both! :D

As far as losing weight: I sure he has!  I doubt I have but think I should for no other reason than cutting out alcohol and my daily flavored coffee creamer habit!  But we will see.  I haven't really craved anything, not even a drink although the margarita mix in my fridge does look good!  I guess my biggest bother was constipation which I thought was weird since I eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water but I found it on the timeline so I guess I'm doing it right! :lol:

For the RN's here, I can relate! I was an RN for about 12 years.  It is tough, always crap food in the break room!  Now I'm a Flight Attendant, just as much crap food in the airports and hotels late at night!  I've carried a food bag for probably 6 or 7 years now.  I try to pack healthy and strictly eat out of that.  I carry a small portable oven in my bag so I can have hot food in my hotel room.  Buy the time I return to work I should have lots of meals ready to go in my bag to keep me W30 compliant! 

I'm excited!  It's been fun cooking again. I made the best green chili chicken soup of my life yesterday!  We used to eat out 3 or 4 times (minimum) a week!

Glad I gave you the short version!

Ok, bad news first: I got a bad haircut today. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm trying to be aware, really aware, because I want nothing more than something with a lot of sugar right now!! It may seem like I'm overreacting, but after having lost a ton of hair while undergoing chemo, it's kind of a sensitive issue.

Alright, moving on. I have tried to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible today. So today's meals have been leftovers and we're having burgers for dinner. 

(sheesh, I just realized something: I took a snack with me to the hairdresser because my friend and I were getting tea after haircuts and I knew she'd get a sweet something with her tea- she did, but I was so upset about my hair that I forgot about my snack.)

Alright, moving on part 2.

I'm wearing jeans comfortably for the first time in awhile. And I agree with others, I feel lighter. For me, that swollen, bloated feeling is almost completely gone.

And that's all I have for now. I must go make some hair growth serum :(

Day 9!  Still waking up with a headache, but I think that's mostly due to other stresses. (We're building a house :) )  However, I slept a solid 9 hours last night, which felt wonderful.  

I didn't make it to the store yesterday, so lunch time was less than optimal.  Learned a big lesson there-for the first time I had big cravings, sugar dragon was roaring!!!   :angry:  I was out running errands and grocery shopping and got stuck waiting in the checkout line next to the candy.  It took all of my self control not to grab something and throw it in with the rest of my purchases.  Made it home, I've had a snack and now I can start dinner.  I literally could not have waited.  I also leaned that I should carry a snack if I'm going to be gone for a few hours or more.  

I feel really good otherwise-I just feel lighter.   I don't feel as sluggish and foggy. I can tell some of the bloat is disappearing-rings are looser, etc.  Encouraging!

Hi everyone! I have been stalking the forum but just recently signed up and I'm so excited that there's a thread for the different start dates.

I'm doing this journey by myself but my husband is eating the meals I make when we're both home - dinners and lunches on the weekends. I have 2 girls, 3 and 6, and same goes for them. It's been easy so far and I've rediscovered my love of cooking again! It's certainly all about planning for me and I can't wait to see what my results will be like.

DAY 9!

Oh Madrikh, I'm sorry to hear you're upset with your haircut. That sucks!! I am glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself though and you are just letting it stink right now. That's okay!

I was thinking yesterday morning that during this Whole30, I am now having protein, veggies, fat, and fruit for meals, instead of loneliness, frustration, and exhaustion with a side of PMS (for example). Ha! My point is that we're learning to separate eating from our feelings (at least it seems that way). Right out of the Whole30 book (p.37) "Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you."

Anyway. Stay strong!

I was extra hungry today. I had salad at lunch (with protein and fat!) and I'm noticing that on days I have salad as my base for lunch, I'm more hungry. I'm going to bring it for lunch again tomorrow though and add some veggie carbs (cooked carrots!) to see if that helps my satiety.

I also roasted spaghetti squash for dinner and just cracked open a can of (compliant!) tomato sauce (as opposed to making sauce from scratch...too lazy), topping it with homemade meatballs. I. love. roasted. spaghetti. squash! Such a weird vegetable though. I was still a little hungry after that, so I had a small piece of chicken and some blueberries.

Excuse any TMI, but I'm nearing the start of my cycle, so the extra hunger today may be PMS related. I usually have some major cravings and symptoms, so I'm anxious about the sugar cravings yet curious if my physical symptoms will be less severe. This should be...interesting.

I'm also thinking about extending this to a Whole45; I know a few people mentioned doing that! I'd love to eat this way most of the time...though I fear Meat Overload, LOL

Naz,

I have even been wanting to take some 'progress photos' since I don't think they every actually say we cant do that during the whole30. However... as I sit here and type that it makes me realize that its an unhealthy desire. If the photos don't show any differences, it would just be like I stood on a scale and didn't get the number I wanted. Uhhhggg. Fine, I wont take pictures either.

I am trying really hard to state that my goal is to only lose 5lbs while doing this program. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Trust me 10-15lbs would be much nicer but not as realistic. So I keep telling myself I will be happy with just a 5lb loss.

Then in the end, I ultimately hope that I reach a place where I can finally accept that the scale weight does not matter as much as how I feel.

I also worked out again this morning!! Wahooo!! That's two days in a row of exercise for me. I cant even remember the last time I could say that I did that!!

Jesssa

I hope you feel better soon! And don't stress about the workouts, they will still be there when you are feeling better. You are already making huge improvements in your health by sticking to the eating plan.

LuvFlyGirl

WELCOME!! Glad you finally made it.

Green chili chicken soup.... that sounds amazing!!

Good luck to you!!

And just curious..... how did you transition from RN to flight attendant?? What made you decide to do that? Sometimes I wonder if I should leave the medical field. However at this point since I have gotten my Doctorate in nursing my husband might divorce me if I walk away from the career! LOL

Khughes

Welcome!!!

HeidiAlexis

I think that some of my worst symptoms the first week were in part due to my cycle being so rude as to show up on day #1 of the whole30. So unlike you having already gone through your withdrawals and being set up a little better, I had do deal with both at the same time. So that being said, I am curious to hear how your next week goes. Fingers crossed its better than mine went!

And yes, yes, yes..... Join me and a few others for a Whole45 :)

Wrapping up day#9!! Holy crap we are almost 1/3 of the way done!! Feeling really good today with lots of energy and a happy mood.

Like a lot of others have mentioned, I also feel 'lighter' and less bloated. I keep wanting to try on my wedding rings as they have not fit for a few years, but I don't want to be disappointed just yet..... So I am going to wait for a bit.

For the newbies.... If any of you are on instagram, I have an account specifically for my Whole30 journey if you want to follow me. My username is _a_glimpse_of_me_

Bring on day #10!!

I FINALLY MADE IT IN HERE!  I've been following along with everyone since we started on the 15th.  I just never received my validation email so today I changed my email address and poof! I got in!  So short version to catch up...It's going great!  The longer version is below if you care to read.

My husband is doing this with me so that has helped a lot! Today I caught him weighing himself and that ticked me off!  I have an unhealthy relationship with the scale but have not even been tempted to step on it!  I didn't even ask if he had lost weight because I knew if he did (and I can tell he has!) it would just make me madder!  Over it now though, I hid the scale, LOL! :rolleyes:

One crazy dream on day 6 that I was eating a melting Hershey with almond bar (I don't even like Hershey bars that much!). It made such a mess, got on my phone and before I knew it I had actually eaten bites out of my phone!  Next thing I knew I was eating a rice and bean filled tortilla! (but it had brussel sprouts in it too!)  I was so mad at myself...thankfully I woke up and there were no candy or Taco Bell wrappers to be found! :)

We both work for airlines and are on a long stretch off at home so that's why we decided to start the 15th, 2 full weeks before we go back to work.  That has made it easier.  I currently have 2 crock pots going, one with a pork roast the other with a beef roast.  I did lots of prepping and shopping for several days in a row in the beginning.  We had very little W30 compliant items on hand!

We always had a little "happy hour" everyday to include appetizers and alcohol.  That has been a huge change for us.  My husband still has "HH" but it's soda water with lemon or lime or sometimes he gets crazy and uses them both! :D

As far as losing weight: I sure he has!  I doubt I have but think I should for no other reason than cutting out alcohol and my daily flavored coffee creamer habit!  But we will see.  I haven't really craved anything, not even a drink although the margarita mix in my fridge does look good!  I guess my biggest bother was constipation which I thought was weird since I eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water but I found it on the timeline so I guess I'm doing it right! :lol:

For the RN's here, I can relate! I was an RN for about 12 years.  It is tough, always crap food in the break room!  Now I'm a Flight Attendant, just as much crap food in the airports and hotels late at night!  I've carried a food bag for probably 6 or 7 years now.  I try to pack healthy and strictly eat out of that.  I carry a small portable oven in my bag so I can have hot food in my hotel room.  Buy the time I return to work I should have lots of meals ready to go in my bag to keep me W30 compliant! 

I'm excited!  It's been fun cooking again. I made the best green chili chicken soup of my life yesterday!  We used to eat out 3 or 4 times (minimum) a week!

Glad I gave you the short version![/quote

Welcome to the "family"! You have such a difficult job to maintain a healthy lifestyle and still you manage! That is amazing! I'm a stay at home mom and I've had some bumps! Good luck to you and your hubby!

Ok, bad news first: I got a bad haircut today. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I'm trying to be aware, really aware, because I want nothing more than something with a lot of sugar right now!! It may seem like I'm overreacting, but after having lost a ton of hair while undergoing chemo, it's kind of a sensitive issue.

Alright, moving on. I have tried to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible today. So today's meals have been leftovers and we're having burgers for dinner. 

(sheesh, I just realized something: I took a snack with me to the hairdresser because my friend and I were getting tea after haircuts and I knew she'd get a sweet something with her tea- she did, but I was so upset about my hair that I forgot about my snack.)

Alright, moving on part 2.

I'm wearing jeans comfortably for the first time in awhile. And I agree with others, I feel lighter. For me, that swollen, bloated feeling is almost completely gone.

And that's all I have for now. I must go make some hair growth serum :(

I've used Nioxin 3 step treatment to help with thinning hair. I dunno if that'll help but Nioxin helped me when I was losing more hair than normal. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I have been stalking the forum but just recently signed up and I'm so excited that there's a thread for the different start dates.

I'm doing this journey by myself but my husband is eating the meals I make when we're both home - dinners and lunches on the weekends. I have 2 girls, 3 and 6, and same goes for them. It's been easy so far and I've rediscovered my love of cooking again! It's certainly all about planning for me and I can't wait to see what my results will be like.

Welcome! I'm doing this on my own as well. I have two boys, 4 and 2. We are just sharing dinner. That's great you and the kitchen are becoming better friends! Good luck and stay strong!

I can't believe we've already completed 9 days! ! This is getting easier to manage and I'm getting used to the routine! I love how everything just tastes soooooo much better! And might I add if anyone is getting bored of their veggies, seriously just roast them in the oven and they'll become you're best friends! I used to be more of a veggie, beans, lentils, kinda gal while my hubby was the true carnivore of this household but now I'm starting to like meat a bit more than I would before.

Heidi, I just thought of something, when you eat your salads are putting 2-3tbsps of some sort of a dressing? And how much salad do you eat in one sitting? I dump about two handfuls of that kale mix in my salad bowl, a palm sized portion of chicken pieces, one fruit (apple or pear), large pinch of walnuts, and 2 tbsps of a citrus vinaigrette.

Rikki, thank you so much for those words! I really needed that wake up call. I've got to be more realistic. Maybe it'll be 5lbs this time around and then 5 more in the next month. I've got to reach my goal by July because my 10th wedding anniversary is this year and I KNOW we're gonna celebrate! I've got about 5 months so that should be enough time to get everything in order.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I felt afraid that I'm not losing weight like some of you mentioned. After I had my meals I felt full and like I shouldn't be eating so much but I believe it was still within the program guidelines. It's hard for me to gauge sometimes. Today I cut my portions down a bit and I feel better and not so full. I think as the days go on I get satisfied with smaller portions than I use to.

I just went to the kitchen to get something to drink and my husband asked me " what's for dessert"? I laughed and said I really can't have any but I be happy to get him an apple and some nuts. He didn't think that was funny :-). He's so use to having cookies and cakes at night. I don't even miss them right now.

Take care all. I'm still thinking Whole 60!

LuvFlyGirl

WELCOME!! Glad you finally made it.

Green chili chicken soup.... that sounds amazing!!

Good luck to you!!

And just curious..... how did you transition from RN to flight attendant?? What made you decide to do that? Sometimes I wonder if I should leave the medical field. However at this point since I have gotten my Doctorate in nursing my husband might divorce me if I walk away from the career! LOL

Rikki

I lived in New Mexico for 22 years and became addicted to good green chili, preferably from Hatch, NM!  I've tried lots of different GC soups and stews over the years and made lots myself but last nite, I don't know...it was awesome!  LOL!  I don't really have a recipe I follow but I'll see if I can put together a recipe for it and post.  It's really easy!

As far as the career change.  Things just got weird starting with a divorce out of the blue.  Then all of a sudden things started coming together including this job almost falling into my lap!  I worked in OB, mostly high risk nursery and taught prepared childbirth classes.  I do miss my moms and babies, teaching them mostly.  Have often thought about becoming a lactation consultant in addition to being a FA.  I love my new career, still taking care of people in a different way!

Good luck to everyone, keep up the great job!

OH! So my "scale cheating" husband has lost 7 pounds! Yeah for him. :P

I can't believe we've already completed 9 days! ! This is getting easier to manage and I'm getting used to the routine! I love how everything just tastes soooooo much better! And might I add if anyone is getting bored of their veggies, seriously just roast them in the oven and they'll become you're best friends! I used to be more of a veggie, beans, lentils, kinda gal while my hubby was the true carnivore of this household but now I'm starting to like meat a bit more than I would before.

Heidi, I just thought of something, when you eat your salads are putting 2-3tbsps of some sort of a dressing? And how much salad do you eat in one sitting? I dump about two handfuls of that kale mix in my salad bowl, a palm sized portion of chicken pieces, one fruit (apple or pear), large pinch of walnuts, and 2 tbsps of a citrus vinaigrette.

Rikki, thank you so much for those words! I really needed that wake up call. I've got to be more realistic. Maybe it'll be 5lbs this time around and then 5 more in the next month. I've got to reach my goal by July because my 10th wedding anniversary is this year and I KNOW we're gonna celebrate! I've got about 5 months so that should be enough time to get everything in order.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi! The dressing for the marinated salad is 1 tbsp oil (I've been using olive) and 2 tbsp lemon juice...so you have a point, that's not enough fat. Yesterday I did have an avocado with it though, so that added the right amount.

Is anyone having any digestive issues? I've been reading about super enzymes and read that cashews could be one of the culprits so I'm staying away from it for a few days to see if it solves it. If not, I'm going to start taking them

I'm starting to feel the extra energy and started sleeping better also. I woke up before my alarm this morning and felt well rested. This really helps me since I try to get a workout in before I get to work at 715. I used to put off working out at the end of the day and by then, im so exhausted and working out is the last thing I want to do.

Archived