Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

Day 13 is wrapping up and I can't believe we are almost at the halfway point.

Luvflygirl - are you eating cashews? I had to cut it out for 24 hours cause of indigestion and it worked like a charm.

Heidi - I'm on my cycle which came 5 days early and I seriously just want a donut! I did notice that I didn't get my usual migraine this month so that's great.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 13 is pretty much done!

My day went pretty well no cravings just didn't get to do any prep work since we were out running errands.

Heidi, don't give up now! You're almost halfway done! C'min you got this!

Hopefully everyone is having a good weekend!

bebeaccia

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  It's such a relief to be reminded that we're right on track and normal - AND it's great to look forward to what's ahead.  Glad you stopped by and said hello!

Khughes17

The carnitas are AMAZING.  I'm so excited for you!  We tried them this past week - so good it was hard to stop eating them!   :rolleyes:  Are you going to do them served in sweet potatoes like the W30 book suggests?  That was very good.  For myself, I think in the future I'll make them again but will slice some yuca super thin and serve it on top of that like like mini tacos.  I've done that in the past with another meal and it was soooo good.  It may take using a mandolin to get it just the right amount of thinness, though - just my experience.

HeidiAlexis

Thanks for the tip on the tea.  I'll have to check that out!  Are you typically a tea drinker?  I'm more of a coffee drinker (cream and sugar please  ;) ), but would love to find a tea that's delicious!  Now I'm thinking of trying the Choice Organics per your suggestion... and all the positive reviews on Amazon.

As for me...

I'm finally feeling pretty well back to normal after the stomach flu wiped our house out the past two days.

I'm finding it so unsatisfying to eat out on W30.  I pay too much for too little - both in flavor and typically quantity.  I've only done it twice, both at burger joints, but for example tonight we needed a kid-friendly place, so the rest of my family got drive through Chick-fil-A and then we headed over to our local Shake Shack where we could sit and eat outside while I had a double burger patty with lettuce and tomato and mustard - for $7.  I could've bought over a lb of bison meat at Costco for that amount and made the whole family a meal - with lots of flavor and nutrition.  There is usually convenience in eating out, but I think for now we'll stick to eating at home most nights.

I followed the 7 day meal plan from the W30 book for week 1 and made up my own thing for week 2.  I think all the meat I've been consuming - breakfast, sometimes lunch, and dinner - has been a little much for my system. (I think it's starting to make my stomach churn at little bit.)  I think I'll cut back on the quantity of daily meat intake for a little while and see how I feel.   Anyone else experiencing anything similar with meat?  

I reread the W30 Timeline last night on the blog and was put at ease that the things that we all are experiencing are right. on. track.  Such a timely reminder.

Have a lovely rest of your weekend!  Your comments and posts are so encouraging.  Thank you guys! 

Good morning, DAY14!

JKWO - I was planning on serving the carnitas bourrito bowl still like Chipotle. I have riced cauliflower and will add lime and cilantro.

It's prep day for the week for me along with a few loads of laundry. I'm really hoping the sickness and germs will go away soon. My husband and girls are all sick and I'm really hoping to get skipped.

Have a great one and here's to starting another week!

2 week mark! WOW!! I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself and everyone on here! 

Meal prepped today- chilli for lunches, sausage for breakfast. I made the ketchup and tangy bbq sauce from the book (they will take a little getting used to but are great). And can't wait to make chicken tenders this evening with almond meal- try out my new ketchup!

I am feeling good, more energy, more confidence, less foggy- Excited to start on the second half of the journey! Also excited to start back working out tomorrow now that my cold is pretty gone!

Have a great week everyone

Congrats whole30ers we've hit the 2 week mark! Almost halfway done! Today was a super-busy, super-tiring day! First I worked out to a new routine so this was much more interesting. Then I was in the kitchen ALL day! I mean like from noonish to like 11pm! Oh boy does it feel good to unwind now. I did some major prep work. I made the spicy tuna cakes, as well as the golden cauliflower and silky ginger zucchini soups. I seasoned and roasted some chicken breasts to chop them up and use them in salads but my hubby saw them cooling on the counter and started nibbling and then he was like this chicken is amazing! So I had to roast some more! I made some awesome sauce. This is a really good sauce all of you should try it. Mel jouwan has the recipe on her blog. I also made some Sriracha sauce. I chopped up a bunch of veggies so I can easily roast them throughout the week. I also marinated some chicken pieces in Tikka style and threw some spices together and roasted those pieces for dinner tonight. They turned out pretty good.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend! We've gotten through the first half, now let's dominate the second half!

Hey, guess what? I'm interviewing Mel Joulwan, author of the Well Fed cookbooks, this Friday for my podcast. If you were in my place, what would you like to ask her? Perhaps I'll pass on some questions from the masses. 

Also, big congrats to all of us on completing two weeks. It's been challenging, but I'm still glad to be here!

I'm really bummed this evening and just need to vent.  Husband and I went to see Star Wars tonite.  I knew it might be a challenge with the smell of popcorn in the air but I brought a small bag of almonds and a Larabar.  Everyone around us was munching on popcorn and it smelled yummy!  We shared some almonds and each had half a Larabar.  I got a sparkling water at the concession stand.  Yes, it was a treat but kept us from going off W30.

On the way home he says, what's this, 2 weeks now? Yes, I said. Then he proceeds to go on about how he was ready to quit and didn't need to do this any more, did it for 2 weeks, could do it for 30 days but didn't need to, etc.  I was floored!  Out of nowhere!  I told him it was only 2 more weeks and not to quit now.  I told him day 11-12 is when a lot of people feel like quitting. He said he's loved me cooking more at home but like right now we could be going over to Freddy's (burgers and ice cream) on the way home.  He said when he goes to the movie he wants to be able to have popcorn. I get it! Me too! I had a gut feeling we shouldn't go but...too late now!

I told him he could quit if he wanted. It really hurt my feelings and I just felt like crying. I was fixing dinner and he asked what I was doing.  Told him I was making something for me to eat, he could make whatever he wanted!

Yes, he ate what I fixed.  And he knows he's lost weight and is suppose to lose 20 lbs. :angry:

Flygirl: Popcorn is a weakness for my husband, also. It isn't for me at home, but it would be at the theatre and so would a coke. So, I'm just skipping movies at the theatre for now. . My husband  isn't OFFICIALLY doing the diet with me, but if I'm cooking, I'm not cooking two different things. He is free to cook whatever else he thinks he needs or wants. Mostly he has eaten what I eat though, when I explain the why's.

Wow, I've been quiet these past few weeks, so look out! Thanks so much to all of you who have consistently posted - I have read every single one and so many have echoed how I'm feeling and what I'm dealing with. You've been such a great support system for me!

So it's Day 15 (whoa!) and my husband's pants don't fit anymore. Ugggghhhhh. So proud of him though - his mother broke her hip late last week so dropped everything and drove the 5 hours to spend a few days in the hospital with her and take care of her dogs. He managed, with all of the stress and necessary eating out, in New York City of all places with so many temptations (bagels, pizzas!), to stay compliant. I loved having him call me and ask: "So if I'm going to Chipotle/jackson Hole/diner, what can I have?" I was really worried at the beginning of this journey that he wouldn't see the value or want to implement all of these learnings post-Whole30, and now he's in! He loves the extra energy he has - and he hasn't craved a drink (even with this stuff with this mom). This is such a big deal for us.

Me, I'm doing good too. Probably the hardest adjustment (other than giving up a bunch of food) has been eating protein with every meal. I think that maybe I used to have protein once a day. (And I'm not a huge egg fan.) So I'm working on having the proteins I like ready for me. I could eat the carnitas from W30 every day as well as the best chicken ever from WF. I also recently discovered that Mel Joulwan has posted W30 weekly menus - trying Week 3 this (week http://meljoulwan.com/2014/01/11/whole30-2014-week-3-food-plan/), I also bought WF2 - and will go back to the bookstore for WF1. I think the way she spices things is so amazing, and it's just the zing I need to keep me going.

I spent the BEST weekend with my kids, adventures in DC on Saturday, and in the backyard on a glorious pre-spring day yesterday - got a bunch of yard work done too. I had so much more patience and energy, so excited about that. I think we'll walk the mile to school today (which means another mile back home for me) as it looks like it will be another beautiful day.

So I guess we're at the top today and headed downhill pretty soon. Stay strong everyone - and thanks for helping me hang in there!

Kate 

Flygirl: Popcorn is a weakness for my husband, also. It isn't for me at home, but it would be at the theatre and so would a coke. So, I'm just skipping movies at the theatre for now. . My husband  isn't OFFICIALLY doing the diet with me, but if I'm cooking, I'm not cooking two different things. He is free to cook whatever else he thinks he needs or wants. Mostly he has eaten what I eat though, when I explain the why's.

Halfway!!  Yeah!!

My husband is also "participating."   Meaning he eats what I make for dinner, and often asks what is and isn't allowed.  However, he loves his greek yogurt for breakfast, and there have been a few episodes of chips and salsa.  He has been pretty good about not drinking wine at home, although I told him it was okay if he wanted it.  He says he can tell his pants are a bit looser in the waist too!

Made it through an event Saturday night that I was concerned about.  A benefit dinner-set menu, etc.  Spoke with the server when we found our table, and they ended up giving me a plain steak and a salad with no dressing.  Not the most satisfying meal, but I was able to eat.  (Had an Epic bar in my purse just in case)  

The only comment I got was when I passed up dessert. (Chocolate lava cake!)  But I felt better about that when my husband said it wasn't as good as it looked and he pushed it away after two bites.  (so maybe his tastes are changing too)  Had an apple and almond butter when we got home because I was still a bit hungry, but happy to have that over with.

Next challenge will be having houseguests next week for 3 days.  There is usually lots of wine tasting, etc., when we are with this couple.  (Don't think I mentioned it before, but my husband has made wine a hobby.  We have a small cellar with a couple hundred bottles, so that's why it's always around so tempting!)  

I can control the food since it is in my own home.   We are having a dinner party for 8 on one of the nights, so I am starting to think about a menu that will be compliant or that would be easily altered for myself.  

Otherwise, feeling really good.  Lots of energy, sleeping great.  Just trying to fit in time for exercise and yoga classes, which only happened once last week.  

I'd also like to say how helpful it has been to have this forum, since I'm not "officially" doing this with anyone.  Hope everyone has a great day!

I feel for you all who are doing this without the full support of folks at home. This is my 2nd attempt at the Whole30 ... I did it about two years ago by myself and made it to Day 14 but husband wasn't doing it and he sort of talked me out of it. I mean, I'm a grown-up and I totally can't blame him. It's not as though he held a gun to my head and said Quit Whole30 or I'll shoot.  It was more that he saw how frustrated I was (on that particular night) and offered a whole slew of rationalizations that eventually caused me to fold.

This time, however, he's fully on board. (It probably helped that we both got a lot fatter since that time two years ago!) And it's so much easier this time. He is, in a lot of ways, much more disciplined than I am so this time when I've wavered I've had him there to convince me not to do it. Also, to be honest, we're doing this as such a team that I don't want to let him down.

OK, this might sound like bragging or rubbing salt in the wound. I don't mean it that way, I guess I just needed to express my gratitude to him. 

My forseeable challenge today: Our book club is meeting tonight. There will be "wine and heavy hor'd'ouevres." It's far away tonight (a 30-minute drive) and I'm contemplating not going. But I really should go. I've read the book and plenty of these folks drove the 30 minutes to my house when I hosted.

I think what I'll do is eat a big Whole30 dinner before I go and bring my own snacks and drinks.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

I woke up this morning still a bit miffed at the husband.  He compartmentalizes extremely well and has already forgotten about yesterday and moved on.  Takes me longer. 

But I decided I like this and I'm not going to let his decisions influence my health.  Also I had another crazy food dream involving donuts and cokes!  I took 2 bites of the donut, spit it out, poured out the coke and moved on.  I'm taking that to mean that's exactly what I should do!

I can tell my clothes fit better, I can see my ribs again, I have to have lost at least a couple of pounds and I just plain feel good! I love cooking again! After just 2 weeks!!!  Why would I want to change that? I hate being overweight, my clothes fitting too tight or I only have one pair of jeans that I can squeeze into! 

While I'm sure I will have a glass of wine or vodka, a girl scout cookie, bread or pasta post W30 I will now be much more conscious about the mindless eating and drinking.  Last nite at the theater I saw that!  Normally I would have been sitting there shoveling popcorn in my face!  I didn't even need to have the almonds but brought them for him because I knew he would feel deprived. 

OK, after I hit "post" I am officially over this and moving on with the W30!  I'm doing this for me with or without him. :wub:

As so many others have said, thanks for the support and sharing!  I would have never believed that I would need it, glad you are all here!

One last thing, my Sister was going to start with me on the 15th then decided on March 1st (my originally planned start date).  Now she's backed out! Says she already eats "whole foods". (Not a chance!)  I understand she has some physical issues, a groin injury that she wants to heal, but that's just an excuse.  Texting her was received as me giving her a speech. So I just said ok, get well!  Moving on from that too! :D  

Have a SUPER week everyone!

It sounds like many of us are starting to experience the challenge of feeling somewhat alone in this thing. I get it. Yesterday we celebrated my youngest's 16th birthday (he's a Leap Year baby) and he wanted an ice cream cake. My husband told me the day before that he thought he'd have some of it. I get that he can do what he wants...I have reminded him many times that this is my choice to do the W30 and he is welcome to eat as he chooses. Up until the cake, he's been as compliant as possible. But watching him eat ice cream was hard. I felt a bit abandoned. But I'm staying strong.

Yesterday I hit some sort of emotional wall: maybe because my baby's now 16... I'm not sure. Probably just life and it's challenges, which are many.

I do like the way I feel, but I'm still bothered a lot by headaches, fatigue and body aches. Maybe some of this will resolve in the next 2 weeks. I'm definitely going 45 days...

KateBassett: I too, am not a huge fan of meat or eggs. But I'm learning what I do and don't like. I wish I could afford to eat crab cakes several times a week!

OK friends: we're doing great! Stay strong everyone!!

Marci

Hi everyone...I'm a day behind all of you (Day14 today) but this thread is the closest active thread to my start date. 

I have to say- all of the sudden it feels like we've been doing this for a long time!  During week 1 (hardest days so far) I promised my family a scratch made chocolate cake on Easter.  My 6 year old son keeps saying how he cannot wait for Easter.  I can't blame him- he's had to endure 3 or 4 birthday parties at school just since we started.  And he stayed COMPLETELY COMPLIANT!  That's what keeps me going.  I've got a 2 year old who has managed to stay compliant also (even at Sunday school.)  My husband says this keeps him going too.  Otherwise we'd seriously be considering cake much sooner! :D

Another hard thing for me- I lack the typical motivators that others have for doing this.  I'm not and have never been overweight, and aside from occasional breakouts of acne, I have no health issues.  So obviously I haven't been seeing  great changes.

Time for me to reset my mind.  I need to tell myself I'm just getting started rather than focusing on the downhill slope.

Hello, I am a day behind as well but I've followed the whole time - I couldn't get my email verified so I changed it to my work email and voila it worked. I am doing this for health foremost, I do have Hashimotos and I can tell my thyroid is out of wack again and instead of going to the doctor, I wanted to see what I could do naturally. I'll admit I am having a hard time eating fats, I feel like I am going to gain a ton of weight. On the other hand, I do feel good about the foods that I am eating, this is something that I have always wanted to do was nix processed foods etc. I have started something odd, I feel like I am drinking too much sparkling water and the odd thing is I gave up pop a couple years ago so I'm not using it as a replacement, not sure why. It has been fun trying new recipes to make things naturally, the first time I made mayo my mind was soo blown, lol. I was surprised at all the rave reviews the chocolate chili has gotten and it didn't do anything for me, I can smell all of the spices in there but it tastes flat to me. I am going to try a sweet potato chili next time and see what that one does for me.

I'm back. Checking to see what everyone's up to :)

Also, procrastinating. With a birthday party at my house, I didn't have time this weekend to plan this week's menu (tonight was chicken vegetable stew with leftover grilled chicken and homemade broth). I did fit in making a few odds and ends as I enumerated in my last post. Tomorrow morning I will restock my homemade almond milk for use in my morning tea.

I think I'll try the carnitas since I have a pork roast on hand and I've read lots of rave reviews for it. Chocolate chili doesn't sound good to me, TBH, sounds too much like mole' which I don't care for. But maybe I'd like it now...

Another birthday next weekend (older son is turning 24) and he's asking for ribs. So I will be exploring recipes for that. Hopefully, no ice cream cake! He'll probably want pumpkin pie, since that's his favorite.

OK, I am going to get the menu plan done and take some MEAT out of the freezer!

Take care all!

Has anyone else been feeling acid reflux? I've never had it before, but got it once last week, yesterday and today. So uncomfortable. Any ideas? I've also been feeling my hands a bit swollen at night and waking up with puffy eyelids - which is odd because I'm super light on the salt in anything I cook.

Like some of you here I too fear that I won't loose any weight after this W30 - although I'm hoping that's impossible since my diet before was basically chips and fast food (yikes!). I've had more cravings this week than I have before, but I'm still motivated to keep going. I have my first restaurant experience tomorrow - I have to take out some clients and this is the place they chose. Only thing I can see there that I'm comfrotable eating is a salad (with half their ingredients taken out ) and I'll bring my own dressing. Wish me luck!

Side note - I cooked a Roasted Tomatilo Salsa Verde w/ Chicken Over Cauliflower Rice (topped with avocado and radish slices) yesterday for the week and it's AMAZING! Probably the best dish I've ever cooked period. I got the recipe from the Whole30Recipes instagram account. I used chicken instead of pork but the recipe is here if anyone is interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/0TwsJkKV4A/    

Hey, guess what? I'm interviewing Mel Joulwan, author of the Well Fed cookbooks, this Friday for my podcast. If you were in my place, what would you like to ask her? Perhaps I'll pass on some questions from the masses. 

Also, big congrats to all of us on completing two weeks. It's been challenging, but I'm still glad to be here!

I'm curious to know how she incorporated strength training into her routine. And also how should one that is slightly interested start?

• Moderators

Has anyone else been feeling acid reflux? I've never had it before, but got it once last week, yesterday and today. So uncomfortable. Any ideas? I've also been feeling my hands a bit swollen at night and waking up with puffy eyelids - which is odd because I'm super light on the salt in anything I cook.

Like some of you here I too fear that I won't loose any weight after this W30 - although I'm hoping that's impossible since my diet before was basically chips and fast food (yikes!). I've had more cravings this week than I have before, but I'm still motivated to keep going. I have my first restaurant experience tomorrow - I have to take out some clients and this is the place they chose. Only thing I can see there that I'm comfrotable eating is a salad (with half their ingredients taken out ) and I'll bring my own dressing. Wish me luck!

Side note - I cooked a Roasted Tomatilo Salsa Verde w/ Chicken Over Cauliflower Rice (topped with avocado and radish slices) yesterday for the week and it's AMAZING! Probably the best dish I've ever cooked period. I got the recipe from the Whole30Recipes instagram account. I used chicken instead of pork but the recipe is here if anyone is interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/0TwsJkKV4A/    

I'd recommend going over to the Troubleshooting section of the forum and listing a couple of days' worth of what you've been eating (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, sleep, and anything else you think might be relevant, and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, there are some compliant foods that people sometimes have reactions to. If there's anything brand new that you've added to your diet recently, or if there's anything that you're now eating in much greater amounts, maybe they're causing some problems. Many people react to nightshades, for instance. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz a day. (One caveat on that -- drinking liquids immediately before or with a meal can dilute stomach acid and actually increase reflux, so try to limit your liquids at meals to just what you need to eat comfortably.)

Some people have reflux because they're actually producing too little stomach acid, and if that's the case, they may find drinking some apple cider vinegar in water can help -- but if your reflux is caused by too much stomach acid, this will cause more discomfort and won't help. It's up to you whether that's something you want to try or not.

Also, I don't know that it's related to this in any way, but don't be afraid to salt your food to taste. We actually need some salt in our diet, and now that you're not eating processed foods, you won't be getting much salt unless you add it to your food.

Has anyone else been feeling acid reflux? I've never had it before, but got it once last week, yesterday and today. So uncomfortable. Any ideas? 

My acid reflux has actually started to diminish, which is a great plus because it was getting really bad. I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with giving up the booze I was drinking every evening.

There's a doctor who's a big authority on acid reflux: Dr. Jamie Koufman. She's got a website and she's written books and articles about it. Google her. But here's her #1 tip: Let your stomach empty before you lay down to go to sleep.  She says the #1 aggravator of acid reflux is people eating before bedtime. Ideally, she says to wait 4 hours between your last meal and laying down to sleep. That was really hard for me to do, but even 2-3 hours helped.  

Also, I've learned that laying on your left side is far less aggravating to acid reflux than laying on your right. It's just a thing with our anatomy. Here's a link to an image that I found very helpful to explain why: http://curiousmindmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/sfgssdfs.jpg

So, hope that helps! Acid Reflux has very much been front-of-mind for me these days, so your post caught my attention.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I wasn't here yesterday just was busy with other stuff. But I'm still going strong! I can't believe we're already halfway and the next thing you know we'll be done! I'm still working out everyday. This is really light workout called cize by Shaun t. I'm just doing this program right now until I get a set routine. I don't want to add anything on that could jeopardize my whole30. I think I'll get back into my hardcore workouts after I'm done with this whole30. I'm really considering just extending this out to a whole60. Anyone want to join me?

Today I got an invitation to a birthday party next Friday, the 11th. I'm getting a little anxious because I know the party will be catered and I won't know what type of oil was used or was there yogurt included in the marinades/curries? I'm slowly working on a plan that I'll have my usual lunch and then at the party I'll eat the salad that they'll most likely have and then have a "normal" plate of food in front of me to feed my toddler to avoid questions. I'm also hesitant to go because this is a family event and a lot of them haven't seen me since my crazy weight gain and now even though I'm probably losing weight, I'm not to the point where I was when several of them saw me. Well I've got a little less than 2 weeks to prep myself for this obstacle!

Stay strong everyone!

Archived