Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

• Moderators

I had my first dream/nightmare last night! I dreamt that I woke up and there was a cup of Carls Jr soda in my hand and I started crying! lol Other than that, Day 1 was easy, I meal prepped all day for the whole week. Day 2 I had a headache the last half of the day ( I took ibuprofen out of desperation and that didn't even make it go away). Today (Day 3) has been ok - On Wednesday they bring catered lunch for us at work so that was ab it tough. When i get cravings I just drink a lot of water to make myself feel full. Other than that I feel a bit slugish today.

Does anyone know of Whole30 approved EVOO and garlic salt? I can't seem to find any without sugar for EVOO and without soy for Garlic Salt.

Thanks all for the daily motivation! <3

EVOO should be really easy to find compliant, I've never seen any with added stuff, except maybe some of the flavored versions (and you can find those that are compliant -- I picked up a lemon infused on on a whim, and it's now one of my favorite things to put on cooked veggies when I need to add some fat). For plain EVOO I use California Olive Ranch brand and have been really happy with the taste (not bitter tasting like some brands I've tried) -- plus I can find it at my local grocery store, no special trips to Sprouts or Whole Foods.

Garlic salt you'll just have to keep reading ingredients. If you can't find any, maybe try just garlic powder and a good salt. If you're up for ordering online, this place is local-ish to me, but they do ship, and I love their roasted garlic infused sea salt (which isn't exactly the same as the garlic salt you'd buy at the grocery store, but is really, really good). You might look around for a specialty spice store in your area -- Penzey's is a national chain, but there are probably local places around too -- they might have one with no weird stuff. And even if they don't, it's kind of fun to go smell the spices (or am I the only one that enjoys that?)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day #2 almost done!!

I had a raging headache for the first part of the day.  I caved and took some Excedrin migraine. I honestly did not care at that moment if it was whole30 approved or not.  I get killer headaches anyway that can leave me curled up in a ball in a dark room and that's even without the withdrawals I may or may not be experiencing. So I took some medications, got the pain to cut back a few notches and I am currently sitting at work with a much more manageable discomfort level. Now I am just praying it doesn't hit that same severity again. I hate those! My headaches are honestly one of the reasons that I am doing the whole30. I'm tired of them leaving me debilitated :(  

I also felt really weak today. I felt like jello. I didn't necessarily feel tired, I just felt like it was hard to make my body move.  I also felt a little shaky. I'm sure the main reason for that is my body doesn't know how to fuel itself without the constant influx of sugar, so that will hopefully get better with time.

I better get off to work!!

Way to rock it so far everyone! We got this!

I have been struggling with sever headaches all week! This is also something I struggle with (daily headaches and migraines)- a huge motivator to do Whole30. I seen an osteopath which has helped with the frequency, but the past 3 days has been awful. I tried using an ice pack and white flower oil which helped for a little but ultimately I had to take some Advil or I could have been in a horrible migraine.

I used to work overnights a lot, man do those shifts bring on the worst eating habits- I feel for ya

I started on the 15th too! This is my official whole30, but I’ve eaten Paleo for 5 years and at times very strictly- sometimes even more so than whole 30.  I had my first baby in November 2015.  In those early days it was so hard to sit down and eat, but as my baby is getting a bit more independent, it is nice to sit down to full template meals rather than grabbing what I can when I can.  Far too often the first thing I grabbed for was frozen paleo cookies- haha! I am still nursing, so I am eating 3 main meals and 1 mini-meal.  So far I haven’t needed to snack, but I will if I feel hungry. I’ve struggled with low milk supply, so I will definitely be eating loads of calories to keep the milk I have!

I am so hungry! Doest matter if I eat a whole bag of carrots, I'm still craving a loaf of bread like crazy. or pretzels. or crackers. or popcorn. Seems only grains make me feel full. This is really challenging for me.

Stay strong! Don't give in! Just think one day a time and you won't even know but the 30 days will be gone!

Hang in there! You'll make it!

Yayyyy day 3 is done!! Today was an OK kinda day. I had a headache in between breakfast and lunch. After lunch I didn't notice when it went away. I too am having trouble figuring out if I'm hungry between meals. It's this new full feeling and not being over full and then feeling heavy. I just drink water until the next meal.

Oh, and cauliflower has become like a staple for my meals! I loveeeee cauliflower rice! It's pretty easyto make and it goes with anything!

Today I made some balsamic vinaigrette and then I saw that the balsamic vinegar had sulfites!! I wanted to cry! At least I got a batch of the Asian vinaigrette made. Maybe tomorrow I'll try another vinaigrette.

How's everyone else doing? I hope the little bumps aren't too discouraging!

Let's move on to day 4 people!! We can do this!!

I had my first dream/nightmare last night! I dreamt that I woke up and there was a cup of Carls Jr soda in my hand and I started crying! lol <3

I forgot to tell of you I had a dream after day 1 that I accidentally ate ice cream! And even in the dream I remember saying that oh no I messed up on the first day! And what really got me is that I was so upset in this dream that I let all of you down! U ow crazy is that?!?

Day 3 done! I am hungry right now. I made a wack load of chicken wings and caesar salad (dressing made using my own made mayo) for dinner tonight and I was so hungry I think I could have eaten at least a dozen but everyone ate so much I was left with 4 itty bitty wings  <_< Oh well, I had some sparkly water and now having some tea...hopefully that will last me until bed time.

Keep going everyone! See you all on Day 4!!

Karen

Oh - my boyfriend is not doing the Whole30. I find this a bit challenging, participating in the Whole30 while my partner is not. I'm finding myself struggling a little with compromise in regards to the health of our relationship and determination (and feeling selfish) in regards to my personal health and wellness. 

Is anyone else out there doing this in a household where not all members are participating? Any helpful tips? Thanks!

My husband and kids (6 & 7) are not doing this with me. The first time I did whole30, I did separate meals for myself but since then I've moved to a paleo menu for the most part and for the most part I don't make separate meals anymore. I am the one who cooks for everyone so I just make a whole30 meal and everyone eats it or they go hungry. Exception is Taco night or Pizza night and I will make something similar or compliant for myself on those occasions. They have gotten use to it, their tastes/palets have change too and honestly love to eat 90% of what I make.

That might not help you but that was my approach.

K.

I'm a tad bit confused with the whole label reading. My understanding was that even if it says 0g of Sugar then it's out, but I've been looking at a lot of Whole30 approved products that link out from the Whole30 site and I keep seeing Sugar on the labels (0g, 1g, 2g etc).

Examples:

Maybe I read incorrectly, but does anyone know what's correct?

Thanks in advance!
- Darlene

• Moderators

I'm a tad bit confused with the whole label reading. My understanding was that even if it says 0g of Sugar then it's out, but I've been looking at a lot of Whole30 approved products that link out from the Whole30 site and I keep seeing Sugar on the labels (0g, 1g, 2g etc).

Examples:

Maybe I read incorrectly, but does anyone know what's correct?

Thanks in advance!

- Darlene

What you need to do is read the ingredients list. If sugar (or sweetener of any kind -- check the Sneaky Sugars List) is listed in the ingredients list, you cannot have it on Whole30. Even if it says, "contains less than 2%" of the sugar/sweetener (a lot of bacon will say this) -- that's sugar in the ingredient list, and that's not okay.

If you're looking at the nutrition information, you'll see that many things contain grams of sugar -- like canned tomatoes, even if the ingredients list has nothing on it but tomatoes, there will be sugar in the nutrition information, because tomatoes contain naturally occurring sugars -- many, many things do, including all fruits and vegetables and nuts and seeds. These naturally occurring sugars that are not listed in the ingredients list are okay, it's only added sugars that you're not allowed to have.

I was an RN for 10-15ish years but recently went back to school and got my Acute Care DNP. I kinda miss working more at the bedside though.

As for a Capn Crunch freak out... Man that sounds good right about now!! LOL   -  I am 100% guilty of the same behaviors.

Rikki

Hi Rikki! *waving*

Thanks for commiserating with me on my te dance to freak out when it starts going well and eat all the junk! I hate it that I can't control that part of my behavior!

Good for you for going on and getting your acute care DNP! That is such an awesome achievement! I'm currently a hospital supervisor, which definitely keeps me running. It's not ever what I envisioned for myself (I wanted to be a derm NP or FPNP), but it's sort of a cool position for me right now. I get to jump in and help all over the hospital and see all the cool stuff. I also handle all the sad, hard, overwhelming stuff, which helped me to develop a wine and bread and cheese habit.

Do you work long shifts? I work 12's, which are really 14's of course, and haven't figured out timing for food quite yet. I don't think anyone at the hospital has, which is why every desk and nurses' station has a box of doughnuts, crackers, and chips. Right!?!?

Hey y'all! Happy day 4! Today is grocery shopping day! Want to know what's on my meal plan? All my favorites, because I don't want to be tempted to go off course! Here's what I plan on making and eating over the next week:

Shrimp cocktail with crudités

Chili lime chicken (Pinterest) with lime cilantro cauliflower rice (Well Fed)

Bun less Burgers salads with homemade mayo

Czech meatballs (Well Fed) with sautéed cabbage and mayo-mustard dip

Greek marinated chicken (Pinterest) with a big Greek style salad (cucumbers, olives, pepperonci)

Spaghetti (Well Fed 2)

Beef tenderloin with mushrooms, green beans and roasted new potatoes

Spicy Tuna Cakes (Nom Nom Paleo) on greens with mayo

Plantain fritters (Pinterest)

I hope this helps give ideas.... I need to have a good plan and then stick to it to be successful, so this is mine. Now I just need to NOT sabatoge myself.

Xoxo,

Michelle

Day 4-I too dreamed last night that I had accidentally consumed a food with added sugar and was so upset about having to start over!  Days 1 & 2 were pretty easy for me, but yesterday was kind of rough.  (Didn't help that I didn't get much sleep the night before-I have an epileptic dog-don't ask :o )  Just tried to get through the day and went to bed pretty early.

Kind of headachy this morning, but not too bad.  Just feel tired and low energy.  

The good stuff-On day 2, attended a retirement party for a friend, with dinner out afterwards.  I was apprehensive, but so proud afterwards.  Lots of raw veggies at the reception, and since the restaurant was a steakhouse, after speaking to the server, I was able to get the steak and veggies in a compliant fashion.  The hardest part was everyone was drinking red wine (my favorite!) and it seemed that it was all I could smell!!  So hard to drink cold mineral water from a wine glass with all that warm, yummy wine around, but I stuck to it and was so happy I did.  I usually arrive home from one of those dinners and have a stomach ache and trouble sleeping, but not this time, which gives me some clues as to what might be problems for me.  

Hope everyone has a successful day 4!

Day 4-I too dreamed last night that I had accidentally consumed a food with added sugar and was so upset about having to start over!  Days 1 & 2 were pretty easy for me, but yesterday was kind of rough.  (Didn't help that I didn't get much sleep the night before-I have an epileptic dog-don't ask :o )  Just tried to get through the day and went to bed pretty early.

Kind of headachy this morning, but not too bad.  Just feel tired and low energy.  

The good stuff-On day 2, attended a retirement party for a friend, with dinner out afterwards.  I was apprehensive, but so proud afterwards.  Lots of raw veggies at the reception, and since the restaurant was a steakhouse, after speaking to the server, I was able to get the steak and veggies in a compliant fashion.  The hardest part was everyone was drinking red wine (my favorite!) and it seemed that it was all I could smell!!  So hard to drink cold mineral water from a wine glass with all that warm, yummy wine around, but I stuck to it and was so happy I did.  I usually arrive home from one of those dinners and have a stomach ache and trouble sleeping, but not this time, which gives me some clues as to what might be problems for me.  

Hope everyone has a successful day 4!

Wow, awesome job! That would be hard - and you did it! 

I read somewhere that a good non-alcoholic drink that will help one feel not as 'left out' is club soda with a few slices of lime and a few olives. Sounds festive!

Hope your dog is okay!

Hey y'all! Happy day 4! Today is grocery shopping day! Want to know what's on my meal plan? All my favorites, because I don't want to be tempted to go off course! Here's what I plan on making and eating over the next week:

Shrimp cocktail with crudités

Chili lime chicken (Pinterest) with lime cilantro cauliflower rice (Well Fed)

Bun less Burgers salads with homemade mayo

Czech meatballs (Well Fed) with sautéed cabbage and mayo-mustard dip

Greek marinated chicken (Pinterest) with a big Greek style salad (cucumbers, olives, pepperonci)

Spaghetti (Well Fed 2)

Beef tenderloin with mushrooms, green beans and roasted new potatoes

Spicy Tuna Cakes (Nom Nom Paleo) on greens with mayo

Plantain fritters (Pinterest)

I hope this helps give ideas.... I need to have a good plan and then stick to it to be successful, so this is mine. Now I just need to NOT sabatoge myself.

Xoxo,

Michelle

Um, yum? Love your plan!

Hey Heidi!

In reference to the boyfriend not doing the Whole30 situation- I know, it's not easy. I, along with two of my girlfriends have done Whole 30s without our boyfriends, and varying levels of support. One of my friends decided not to do another Whole30 because she really can't cook at all and depends on her boyfriend to cook her meals- and he doesn't want to do it- so it's off the table. My other girlfriend only eats dinner with her boyfriend and he's happy to have a super awesome dinner each night. Everyone's relationships are different, and communication is the most helpful thing to make sure you're getting the support you need.

When I started my first Whole30, I spent time explaining to my boyfriend why I was doing it and what I expected to get out of it- and how that would be good for both of us! You're working on yourself, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Easier said than done, so if you're second guessing or feeling guilty, just write down why your doing it- it will help you remember that more time spent preparing food and not sharing the "fun" meals that you used to are going to be SO worth it. You're going to get stronger throughout the 30 days- and your partner will notice and admire you for it.

Good luck-- let us know how it's going- we're here to support you! 

Day 4: I got my first 'You're so weird!' today when I declined ordering from a deli for lunch. (I'm working in the office today and the rest of the team is ordering from a deli to celebrate a co-workers anniversary). I didn't offer the person who commented an 'explanation' at first, but then I did mention that I was doing the Whole30. She was more interested/enthusiastic when I noted that so far my sugar cravings have completely left the building (and this is big for me, as she knows).

I prepped last night which I'm realizing is 100% the key to this. I'm also realizing that I'm better off making simple recipes. Those turkey burgers last night were delicious and easy - making more with the leftover meat this afternoon, perhaps a slight variation on spices due to the ingredients I have.

I made hardboiled eggs, put together a bag of frozen spinach and berries for a morning smoothie, marinated (oil and lemon juice) salad, put olives in a container and a chicken sausage too, (for lunch). Emergency food to keep at the office, just in case: jar of almond butter, Larabar, nuts.

Starting to plan for next week! 

PS: My manager just showed up with donuts.

I had my first dream/nightmare last night! I dreamt that I woke up and there was a cup of Carls Jr soda in my hand and I started crying! lol Other than that, Day 1 was easy, I meal prepped all day for the whole week. Day 2 I had a headache the last half of the day ( I took ibuprofen out of desperation and that didn't even make it go away). Today (Day 3) has been ok - On Wednesday they bring catered lunch for us at work so that was ab it tough. When i get cravings I just drink a lot of water to make myself feel full. Other than that I feel a bit slugish today.

Does anyone know of Whole30 approved EVOO and garlic salt? I can't seem to find any without sugar for EVOO and without soy for Garlic Salt.

Thanks all for the daily motivation! <3

Hi, DarDar. Another option for EVOO and garlic salt (actually, I recommend granulated garlic, as you're not paying for the salt, and I prefer the texture to that of garlic powder) is to order from Azure Standard. I have been able to find several items from them that are compliant. Here are some links if you want to check it out: EVOO and granulated garlic. Hope you find items that work for you! :-)

• Moderators

Day 4: I got my first 'You're so weird!' today when I declined ordering from a deli for lunch. (I'm working in the office today and the rest of the team is ordering from a deli to celebrate a co-workers anniversary). I didn't offer the person who commented an 'explanation' at first, but then I did mention that I was doing the Whole30. She was more interested/enthusiastic when I noted that so far my sugar cravings have completely left the building (and this is big for me, as she knows).

I prepped last night which I'm realizing is 100% the key to this. I'm also realizing that I'm better off making simple recipes. Those turkey burgers last night were delicious and easy - making more with the leftover meat this afternoon, perhaps a slight variation on spices due to the ingredients I have.

I made hardboiled eggs, put together a bag of frozen spinach and berries for a morning smoothie, marinated (oil and lemon juice) salad, put olives in a container and a chicken sausage too, (for lunch). Emergency food to keep at the office, just in case: jar of almond butter, Larabar, nuts.

Starting to plan for next week!

PS: My manager just showed up with donuts.

If I kept almond butter, a Larabars, and nuts for my emergency food, I'd have so many "emergencies." Better options would be canned tuna or salmon (don't forget a can opener), olives, olive oil. With those, even if you forgot to bring a lunch, you could run to a nearby store or restaurant and pick up a plain salad, add your protein, olives, and some olive oil, and have a full meal. And I can almost guarantee you that if you're hungry enough between meals to crack open a can of tuna, you really needed to eat something.

Also note that smoothies are not a great choice. Chewing your food makes a difference in feeling satiated and staying full until your next meal.

Hey Heidi!

In reference to the boyfriend not doing the Whole30 situation- I know, it's not easy. I, along with two of my girlfriends have done Whole 30s without our boyfriends, and varying levels of support. One of my friends decided not to do another Whole30 because she really can't cook at all and depends on her boyfriend to cook her meals- and he doesn't want to do it- so it's off the table. My other girlfriend only eats dinner with her boyfriend and he's happy to have a super awesome dinner each night. Everyone's relationships are different, and communication is the most helpful thing to make sure you're getting the support you need.

When I started my first Whole30, I spent time explaining to my boyfriend why I was doing it and what I expected to get out of it- and how that would be good for both of us! You're working on yourself, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Easier said than done, so if you're second guessing or feeling guilty, just write down why your doing it- it will help you remember that more time spent preparing food and not sharing the "fun" meals that you used to are going to be SO worth it. You're going to get stronger throughout the 30 days- and your partner will notice and admire you for it.

Good luck-- let us know how it's going- we're here to support you! 

Thanks for your note, Barbecutie. I'm thankful for this group, and (almond) milking it for all it's worth.

My boyfriend and I also only eat dinner together during the week. Weekends will be more challenging, as we tend to eat most/all meals together, and often lunch is out while we're running errands. I just need to be flexible - and prepared. We have been making more 'intentional' breakfasts on the weekends lately, which is definitely helpful in fueling a successful day of errands and easy to make compliant.

I know that he and I will both benefit from better quality food, no matter if it's 100% (for me) or 75% (or whatever) for him. Actually - he mentioned that the day after we had the chicken livers (!) for dinner he felt more positive, clear headed, and focused. I teased him of course that it was the magical chicken livers. I agree that this week he's been happy to find some good dinners on the table.

Thanks for all the support!

On to day 4! How is everyone doing? Yes - I am in the "doing W30 by myself" club. DH and I did our first W30 together, but he is not doing it with me this time. However - he is a good sport and will eat whatever meals I fix, but probably with an added slice of bread. He lost quite a bit of weight on our first W30, and needs to not lose any more. He also is not able to eat big meals, as he had stomach surgery several years ago for GERD, so really - I'm okay doing this on my own this time, and he is supportive of me doing this, even if he isn't, so he is trying not to make it more difficult for me. 

Made it through day 2!

Now day 3 - YAY!

I am feeling ok - so maybe today the bad times will start. I have cut caffeine, dairy, sugar etc all from my diet so this is bound to hit home over the next day or so. I have found the daily emails really helpful so far, and think today's has really helped me mentally prepare! I also really like the little link you can goto at the end of the day - its silly but is motivating me!

Day1 my family sat and ate pizza in front of me, Day 2 they ate tea and beautiful cookies, so who knows what tonight will bring. It must be great to be doing this with others in your household!

Oh my gosh my roommate does the SAME thing. She will eat bowls of pasta and then sit and mow through an entire bag of whichever snack she is eating right next to me on the couch and then tells me I have an eating disorder... Its really frustrating.

Very little sleep for me last night too :( I'm tired and trying to be extra aware because hungry and tired feel similar to me.

Today I want to snack less. I need to go back to W30 book and reread about snacking. 

Yesterday I got caught out and ended up buying and eating a Larabar, then felt guilty. I don't want all of these rules to mess with my tendency to be obsessive about things anyway... it's my first "emergency" snack in 3 days, so I guess it's OK.

Yes, like others have said, planning is key. I will be gone all day tomorrow so my plan is to prep something tonight to put in the slow cooker tomorrow morning. Favorite slow cooker recipes anyone?

Happy Day 4!!

Archived