Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

Hi all :) So I've been eating paleo since start of feb. I've had maybe 2 slip ups with dairy. Eating out is hard! I ordered a vegetable mousakka and forgot the cheese aspect! I eat out once a week with friends and I see this as my most difficult thing. I guess I might have to skip it for a few weeks and hopefully not offend!

I'm cutting coffee off on Monday. Argh!!!! I'm a big coffee drinker. I like it strong & black. But I also need it. And what I read in "it starts with food" about it being a crutch rang true to me. So I'm cutting it out and I know it will hurt but I don't want any food or drink to control me ever again. Eventually I'd like to be able to have a couple a week for enjoyment instead of out of necessity.

The thing I've noticed this week had been those pesky additives... They're in everything! I are some dried fruit&nut mix at my kids swimming lesson and then looked up what additive 220 is only to realise it's a no-no! Luckily it was before I stared my whole 30! I'd hate to ruin it with a silly mistake. So my humble advice is to read all the lables!!! ;)

Not long now! Good luck everyone with their meal prep! X

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone!

I'll be starting on Monday as well. Last year I started in May and total lost of 33lbs with the help of Whole 30/Paleo. I'm so grateful for this program as it also has helped with my chronic migraines and noticed that I have a gluten and soy allergy. Anyway, after attempting to do a bunch of 'resets' I feel that I am in the correct mindset to complete a whole 30 days. I've been slacking recently with allowing certain things in my daily intake that I feel shouldn't be and now I have cravings for those items.

Background. I come from a EDing background with binging and purging episodes common in my daily activity. I also had episodes of extreme restriction too. After finding Whole 30 I noticed that I could eat and feel healthy and kick that darn scale! I have been healthier all around the last year since coming to Whole 30 mentally and physically. I'm excited to complete my 2nd WHOLE round of 30 days. I hope that I can be disciple enough to do this for myself.

Our ED history sounds similar. I wish you all the best beating the demons xxx

Ditto on the Nom Nom Paleo & Crock Pot ideas including Slow Cooker Kalua Pig...so good!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

Sometimes, when I don't feel like cooking, I get a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery and make a simple salad with spinach, slivered almonds, fresh blueberries and cut up chicken breast. I top it with olive oil and white balsamic. Learned that one from a chef. Super simple. No stove required and delicious.

I have planned my week and have my shopping delivered tomorrow! I am worried about the following

• SUGAR!!!! - not only is it in everything I have a sweet tooth, so have tea with sugar/sweetener and enjoy chocolate and biscuits/cake!
    My plan is to have fruit or dates instead when I am desperate for that sweet hit and to just not have tea. Tea is a trigger for me - I have tea and I think about what I can eat with it. If I don't have the tea I don't want the rubbish food.
  • TEMPTATION - I am worried I will get tempted or not be prepared and end up having something off plan. I also realised this week that I stress eat - not good with a stressful job - so I need to have good things to reach for!
    My plan is to be prepared, have things made up in the fridge or in my bag etc and take a few deep breaths and get calmer before I eat!I think the protein salad idea in the book - making up lots of it in advance so its always there is a great idea. I also have a few trips away/nights out during the 30 days so will be asking for some support I am sure :)
  • FEELING YUK & QUITTING/CHEATING - I am worried about this, I know its going to be different/hard to change decades of habits and I know to expect some slumps/headaches etc I just hope I can dig deep and get through. I really, really want to do this!

I am however feeling excited, nervous and positive for the main part. My plan is to get through one day at a time !

Tomorrow is a prep day, I am going to prepare as much as I can in advance and note which days I may need to get fresh supplies in (fruit & veg).

Is anyone taking measurements or a photo before they start?

Hi SarahAwright,

I've developed a really nasty sugar addiction in this past year and that addiction was a gateway to binge eating. So I've been yo-yoing between binging and severely restricting calories these past couple months.

I'm hoping w30 can eliminate this issue and make me feel good about myself again. I know I'm gonna have some really hard days too but like you said, I'm gonna tackle this one day at a time!

Today I'm gonna browse through nom nom paleo website and her recipe book just so I have extra back up recipes/plans. I'm thinking I might even give her spicy tuna cakes a shot. They look yummy and not too hard to make.

I'm excited that we're about to start our journey! This group support will help me TONS! Let's do this!

I will weigh myself and take measurements tomorrow but I'm not gonna post them. I might post them at the end to show the difference. Even if I do take before and after pics, I'm not posting them. What about everyone else? How are you gonna see the difference at the end?

I will weigh myself and take measurements tomorrow but I'm not gonna post them. I might post them at the end to show the difference. Even if I do take before and after pics, I'm not posting them. What about everyone else? How are you gonna see the difference at the end?

Oh totally - was not going to suggest posting anything - but wondered if anyone was going to do anything.

• Moderators

I have planned my week and have my shopping delivered tomorrow! I am worried about the following

• SUGAR!!!! - not only is it in everything I have a sweet tooth, so have tea with sugar/sweetener and enjoy chocolate and biscuits/cake!

My plan is to have fruit or dates instead when I am desperate for that sweet hit and to just not have tea. Tea is a trigger for me - I have tea and I think about what I can eat with it. If I don't have the tea I don't want the rubbish food.

• TEMPTATION - I am worried I will get tempted or not be prepared and end up having something off plan. I also realised this week that I stress eat - not good with a stressful job - so I need to have good things to reach for!

My plan is to be prepared, have things made up in the fridge or in my bag etc and take a few deep breaths and get calmer before I eat!I think the protein salad idea in the book - making up lots of it in advance so its always there is a great idea. I also have a few trips away/nights out during the 30 days so will be asking for some support I am sure :)

• FEELING YUK & QUITTING/CHEATING - I am worried about this, I know its going to be different/hard to change decades of habits and I know to expect some slumps/headaches etc I just hope I can dig deep and get through. I really, really want to do this!

I am however feeling excited, nervous and positive for the main part. My plan is to get through one day at a time !

Tomorrow is a prep day, I am going to prepare as much as I can in advance and note which days I may need to get fresh supplies in (fruit & veg).

Is anyone taking measurements or a photo before they start?

I've developed a really nasty sugar addiction in this past year 

For anyone dealing with sugar cravings during Whole30 -- having something sweet when you're craving sweets, even compliant things like fruit or nuts/nut butters, will only make it harder to get rid of the cravings. If you're truly hungry, have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables. If it's just cravings, try to first have a big glass of water, and then distract yourself by doing something that keeps your hands and mind busy (knit, crochet, take a walk, clean something, read a book, journal, exercise, meditate, color, scrapbook, play with your kids/pets if you have them), and usually cravings will go away in a short time. If it's just not going away no matter what you do, rather than reaching for fruit, have some fat -- olives are great for this, but avocado would work, or grab some leftovers or a hard boiled egg. 

The number one thing you can do to help yourself not have cravings and not be turning to food for everything is to make sure your meals are big enough. Make all your meals meet the meal template. For many people, this is more food than they're used to eating at one meal, especially if they're used to eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day or just grazing all day. If you can't eat a full template meal at once at first, I'd still suggest plating the full meal, eating what you can, eating evenly from the protein, fat, and vegetables, and then setting it aside. When you feel like you can eat some more, go back to it. Over time, you'll find you're eating more initially until you get to where you eat the full meal at once. (This doesn't apply to people who have medical conditions or have had surgeries that make it physically impossible for them to eat much at one time, if that's your scenario, you'll probably always need to eat more than three times a day, in smaller quantities, and that's okay.)

I highly recommend keeping a food diary. Not something like MyFitnessPal that tracks calories and stuff, just a log of what you've eaten with approximate portion sizes, or even pictures of each meal.  Many people also track how they're feeling, physically and emotionally. You can do this here in the forum in the Whole30 Log section, or on paper, or if you're doing pictures, on Instagram or even just keep the pics on your phone or whatever so you can reference it later. If you do at some point have any issues or just want feedback on if you're doing things right, we'll always ask you to list a couple of days' worth of food, water, exercise and sleep. 

Hi guys,

I'm interested in joining the Whole 30 group beginning tomorrow.  My name is Kristen.  I'm a Canadian medical doctor working in Ireland.  The past 6 months have been tough both physically and mentally.  I have made poor food choices and am now feeling the effect!  I'm planning on using this Whole 30 to get back on track.  

Looking forward to getting through this as a group together!

Kris x 

I posted yesterday in another thread for starting February 15.  Don't know why there are 2?  This is a much larger group, so....

Anyway, I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 tomorrow!  Did planning and some prep yesterday, big shopping and more prep today.  

I'm 55, hoping to resolve some issues with digestion, allergies and random skin rashes and flaking that keep occurring, as well as the bloat and weight that keeps creeping up.  

Looking forward to the support on the forums.  

Getting a little more nervous!!! I am currently out of town for Valentine's Day and have not gotten 100% prepped. We head home in a few hours. Once home I will head straight to the store for fresh veggies etc, do some mad dash food prep and then head to work for a 12 hour night shift.

But hey, I got this!

I took some before pictures last week, weighed myself and took some measurements. As soon as I did that I had my husband hide my scale and measuring tape. I plan on breaking them back out on April 1st as technically my plan is to be whole30 compliant for 45 days before starting reintroduction. I'm super hopeful to see good changes there, but also realize that's not the ultimate goal here.

I just read all the posts since I commented last and since I'm on my phone it's harder to skip back and see who had replied to me earlier.

Soooooo. To who gave me tips because I can't cook..... THANK YOU!!!!!!

To the mom whose spouse and two kids are joining her on this journey..... Me toooo!! Except I have three kiddos 11,9 and 5.

Thanks everyone for already being a great support!!! We are gonna rock this!

HI Everyone,

Here's hoping we all can keep our resolve to stick to the plan for 30 days.  I started today, Valentine's Day.  However, I gave sweets and alcohol up for Lent a few days ago so have a little jump on things.  I waited until today as I had too much dairy in the fridge and did not want to waste the kefir and, my favorite, cheese.  I am going for this change as I have had a major flare up of Rheumatoid Arthritis and all my bones are screaming.  I do not want to go to medications so, I am just seeing what 30 days of healthy eating will do.  I have given wheat up before for over a year, but found I was cheating more and more.  I have an active summer planned and do not want to have to cancel things because my knees are refusing to participate. Don't ever say it is aging.  My hero is a 95 year old who who was golfing 18 holes a few times a week until 2 years ago. 

Be kind to yourselves, find special ways to reward your daily triumphs that aren't related to food, and I hope we are all smiling in 30 days. 

Wow!

How inspiring by everyone writing on here! I'm routing for the 15th as well.

Hopefully it's normal to feel overwhelmed?!

I eat fairly well normally (curses that I can't have pasta and alcohol), but this is completely new and exciting! I can't wait to give my body the nutrients it needs and the respect it deserves.

I've prepped mornings and lunches, but I'm at a loss for dinners.

Any advice?

Archived