Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

• Moderators

I've prepped mornings and lunches, but I'm at a loss for dinners.

Any advice?

Kind of depends on how much time and effort you want to put into your dinners. Personally, I do best when I have a bunch of stuff pre cooked and waiting in the fridge so I can just pull out what I want and heat it up. (If you haven't already, read through this information about a weekly cookup.) 

If you want quick options that hardly take any time, check out these No Recipe Required ideas. Another option would be crock pot meals that you start in the morning, and then they're done when you get home from work -- there's some here, or google Whole30 crockpot meals or Whole30 slow cooker meals to find more. If you just really love cooking from scratch for supper, there are all kinds of recipes around that you could make -- Mel Joulwan's Well Fed site, Nom Nom Paleo, Whole Life Eating, and Stupid Easy Paleo all have good options, but always check the recipe and be sure it's Whole30 compliant.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shannon M816, you are so helpful!!

SarahAwright: I'm also a cancer survivor. I really want to avoid another recurrence so have decided to get more serious than ever about my eating. Good luck to you!!

OK, today we took a hike with our boys (23 and 15...almost 24 and 16 yikes!). Wow, I am so creaky getting in and out of the car. I told my husband we should do the same hime after the Whole30 and compare how we feel. I think he's in it with me, but he basically feels fine and seems to be able to tolerate all foods. So I guess he may not be as motivated as I am. But he's supportive and has been asking me a bunch of questions about what he can and can't eat ^_^

i should introduce myself (I did so on WholeLent, but I think I should be on this thread since I didn't actually start on Lent).

I live in the NW US. I am 50 and have 3 wonderful kids (26,23 and 15). I am a 2 time cancer survivor (first dx'd at age 40), and want to try and avoid more cancer as well as the horrible illnesses that my family suffers with. My oldest sister was dx'd at the age of 54 with Lewy Body Dementia. My other sis has more than a handful of AI diseases and is really suffering. My brother has Ulcerative Colitis and as of last summer, Labyrinthitis. All 3 suffer horribly and it's extremely hard to watch and to not be able to fix it for them. Our parents also have some serious issues.

I think sugar will be my hardest challenge. I also love stevia. I like cheese a lot, but have done without it in the past so I know it can be done. 

I am going to do some prep tonight and continue it tomorrow, since I'm tired from today's hike! Tonight I want to get some salmon patties made as well as some deviled eggs. I need to take a chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner. Also, I need to write my "if, then" list...

Ok, this is getting boring...

Good luck everyone! We can do this!!

Hi all! 

Planning to start tomorrow as well.  Today's prep took a little longer than the hour I had anticipated, so I'm a little nervous about the amount of time it will take to do this on a daily and weekly basis (and if that will be realistic as a mom of young children), but I'm also hopeful to have the support of this group as we go.  Looking forward to what the journey ahead holds for each of us!

~ Julie

I just got back from the grocery store - and it was a lot more stressful than I was anticipating! I sat in the parking lot for a good 15 minutes before I went in. I tried doing my prep before hand outlining ingredients I needed by store section. Some ingredients I had googled before hand weren't at the store and the label reading made me incredibly nervous even after reading that chapter and PDF materials quite a few times (I really hope the items I got are fine). Keep in mind I have never really cooked before so this is all new to me (as sad as that sounds). I'm also at a much heavier weight than I have ever been so all I could keep thinking was people looking at me and thinking "wow, a big girl finally eating healthy.". I kept getting in my own head.

Having a friend come with me next time so I'm more comfortable.

*sigh*

Keep in mind I have never really cooked before so this is all new to me (as sad as that sounds).

I am right there with you! I have never been one to really break out fancy recipes and cook. Sure I can throw some chicken on the BBQ, but that's about it! It is one of the things that has me the most nervous! But we can do it!!

Day1

Decided to follow the example plan they gave in the book for the main part.

I am not going to measure as I think I will know by clothes when or where I may have lost any weight/shaped up. I am going to take a photo for myself to see the changes and I will weigh today but not again until the end of the 30 days.

As its already 10.40am here - I have had my breakfast of the spinach frittata and that went well!

Yesterday I had my shopping arrive, I made up a batch of the Mayo ( was a lot easier than I thought it would be), roasted off a chicken and prepped my salad for lunch. As I am working from home today there is no issue with me making the mince and tomato sauce later on, also will prep anything needed for tomorrow and enjoy cooking at leisure. I am making a large batch of the mince to help with 1- breakfast tomorrow leftovers and 2- to make a meal later in the week.

So that is my meals sorted for today and tomorrow and I am also planning a trip to the gym later, nothing hard core just to keep me moving. This is about all over health and wellbeing for me and that includes making sure I get to the gym more than once a week!

I am also planning on making up some Ranch Dressing and Tomato Ketchup but think I will do that on Weds!

Good luck to everyone starting today - we can do this!!!!!!

I just got back from the grocery store - and it was a lot more stressful than I was anticipating! I sat in the parking lot for a good 15 minutes before I went in. I tried doing my prep before hand outlining ingredients I needed by store section. Some ingredients I had googled before hand weren't at the store and the label reading made me incredibly nervous even after reading that chapter and PDF materials quite a few times (I really hope the items I got are fine). Keep in mind I have never really cooked before so this is all new to me (as sad as that sounds). I'm also at a much heavier weight than I have ever been so all I could keep thinking was people looking at me and thinking "wow, a big girl finally eating healthy.". I kept getting in my own head.

*sigh*

I know what you mean, I also feel that whenever I go to the gym or an exercise class. My head is telling me ' nobody  is interested in what you are doing or how you look, they are all too busy' but sometimes that logic still doesn't make any difference. 2 things I would say - firstly, the recipes seem relatively easy for the main part, so just pick ones with few ingredients and there are lots of resources online I have found over the last week which can help. but secondly, and most importantly - you should be really proud for taking steps to change things- its not easy cooking but it can be fun - nobody is born knowing how to cook, so everyone started somewhere. :)

Hi guys,

I'm interested in joining the Whole 30 group beginning tomorrow.  My name is Kristen.  I'm a Canadian medical doctor working in Ireland.  The past 6 months have been tough both physically and mentally.  I have made poor food choices and am now feeling the effect!  I'm planning on using this Whole 30 to get back on track.  

Looking forward to getting through this as a group together!

Kris x 

Hi Kris

Nice to see someone closer to home (UK) - at least we are on the same time line.

Everyone seems super lovely and really helpful on this group :)

Sarah x

zIs anyone else on here planning to follow an autoimmune protocol whole30?

Hi Anipi :) We recommend doing a normal Whole30 and Reintroductions first, before starting the AIP. Some people get enough benefits, they don't need the AIP.

Hi all! 

Planning to start tomorrow as well.  Today's prep took a little longer than the hour I had anticipated, so I'm a little nervous about the amount of time it will take to do this on a daily and weekly basis (and if that will be realistic as a mom of young children), but I'm also hopeful to have the support of this group as we go.  Looking forward to what the journey ahead holds for each of us!

~ Julie

It gets easier! Changing habits and recipes makes us a little slower at first :)

*sigh*

You're doing great :) You might be surprised how many people are thinking "Wow, I should really eat that healthy too".

I know what you mean, I also feel that whenever I go to the gym or an exercise class. My head is telling me ' nobody  is interested in what you are doing or how you look, they are all too busy' but sometimes that logic still doesn't make any difference. 2 things I would say - firstly, the recipes seem relatively easy for the main part, so just pick ones with few ingredients and there are lots of resources online I have found over the last week which can help. but secondly, and most importantly - you should be really proud for taking steps to change things- its not easy cooking but it can be fun - nobody is born knowing how to cook, so everyone started somewhere. :)

I kind of had to re-learn how to cook, I didn't really know how to cook clean food. Mel Joulwan is who I look to for cooking inspiration. Great recipes and some are really funny too "while massaging it into the chicken, pretend you're not touching raw chicken" :D  :lol:

Hi all!

I'm starting today as well, inspired by my sister-in-law who completed a January Whole30. I've roped my husband in as well (more on him later!) I have an 8 year old boy and a 7 year old girl.

Reasons: I'm overweight and pretty much always have been, gaining more around my middle these days, though in terms of labs I'm generally healthy (no medicines etc). But I have NO energy and am totally hooked on sugar and coffee (I kicked the soda habit a while ago). I've been on/off WW, 21DF and I just really hate measuring food :)

My husband has metabolic syndrome, previously T2D though we were able to fix that with carb counting and weight loss before we had kids, diagnosed with an esophageal ulcer this year and is on 2x daily prilosec, high cholesterol (drugs for that), previously had bouts of gout, and gaining more weight as we get busier.

I couldn't support him when we are eating different meals or I'm eating off his plan when I'm at work etc. So I asked him to support ME in this Whole30 ;) (sneaky wife) 

He's really nervous and I'm glad as he's asking a lot of questions like: What do I eat if I'm hungry between meals (he's a HS teacher so he has a weird schedule)? What does our life look like after the Whole30? We love to entertain, what does a party with our friends and their kids look like? He's really helping ME think about what I want out of this and where we go after this.

So, for all of the reasons above, here goes nothing! I cleaned out the fridge and pantry last week. We started with the example week 1 in the whole30 book (though I need to redo my mayonnaise - I think I'll use my immersion blender instead of regular blender so I can see what I'm doing).

Wishing you all success - and thankful already for the inspiration you've given me in your stories above.

:)

Kate

Hi all!

I'm joining this group but I'm going to be starting tomorrow so I can have a day to go grocery shopping and do meal prep. I really want to be a part of this bigger group because last time I did a Whole30 the support from my group was fantastic! I am so excited to be doing another Whole 30- I'm smiling as I type this!

A little bit about me: I am 27, living in New England (so cold!) I'm doing my 2nd Whole 30. I completed my first one in July of 2015, and just like, this, I dove in head on. It was probably one of the most positive experiences of my life. I chose to do it originally because it was the middle of summer and I was feeling sluggish and I had gained a few pounds. What I got out of it was so much more. Once I finished I realized that all the other things I had deemed as "challenges" and "roadblocks" in my life were really nothing at all- If I could do a Whole30, then there was no reason why I couldn't do x, y, and x. I was also shocked at how not drinking for 30 days changed me. I have a pretty active social life, and it didn't die down because I was doing whole30- I had to be strong and grounded, and I'm so glad I stuck with it. I got to be comfortable with who I am, no matter what's going on around me. That's a thousand times more impoartant than losing a few pounds (although that was awesome too!) 

Going into this Whole30 I have a lot going on in my life, and I'm hoping that this will anchor me from getting too overwhelmed. My bf just moved to a different country, and I'm going to be joining him in 6 weeks. I want to look great and feel great when I see him. I also want to work on some big personal projects, and I need lots of sleep, good food, and no drinking to help fuel that. 

Looking forward to cooking a lot in my slow cooker- half of my kitchen tools are already packed, so this time there will be a handful of challenges- but my goal is to keep everything simple and delicious! 

Can't wait to get to know everyone! I see so many posts from so many inspiring people in this thread- We can do this! 

I would love to join you guys.  I was kind of wishy washy on starting today because I didn't have any groceries or meal prep completed, but feeling so bad that I said I would start today anyway.  Had some morning coffee that was just terrible plain.  I should have just thrown it out and went with water, but I added creamer.  I wish I had read here first because I think that would have motivated me to just go with the water.  Oh well.  I see there are a couple that will be starting tomorrow.  I will have an official start date of Feb 16.  I will use today for meal planning, shopping and prepping.  I am excited.

Day 1. I wish you all well. Hi Kate. Wow, I really relate to your husbands concerns. Having done 1 complete Whole30 as well as several failed attempts, I remember not only sharing those concerns but also working through the challenges he raises. Here's my perspective, in case it helps:

Hunger in between meals - This reminds me that I need to include ample amounts of compliant fat with every meal. This is especially important if the protein source is lean. The times I got caught out w/out enough fat in a meal and no way to add it is when I got hungry in between meals. Snacking is discouraged and small additional complete meals aren't probably practical for him. If snacking is really unavoidable, a small amount of a fat snack like olives helps me. The meal map and fat explanations on the website explain this better.

Life after Whole30 - In my opinion, we will all be in a different and better place physically and psychologically 30 days from now so there's no reason to overstrategize that now with our pre-Whole30 brain. That being said, the website and books talk about reintroduction. Here is a recent blog post...

http://whole30.com/2016/01/reintroduction-prep/

Parties - I like this article from the author of the Well Fed cookbooks...

http://meljoulwan.com/2011/07/14/paleo-social-butterfly/

I realize you weren't asking for advice but writing it out helped me get my head right for this journey! Thank you all for this group. It's time for me to breathe and stay on the path.

I realize you weren't asking for advice but writing it out helped me get my head right for this journey! Thank you all for this group. It's time for me to breathe and stay on the path.

Hi Hawk -

I will take any advice, tips etc that I can get! We'll work on the snacking for sure, for now it might be more routine/emotional, but we'll adjust especially as our bodies get more used to this. Bought a giant case of single serve olives just for that reason. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out! 

:)

Day 1 for me as well! Super excited to be healthy! The support here seems to be amazing and it's nice to connect with people starting on the same date.

I'm 34 years old and my boyfriend and I are doing this together. We're both excited to commit to it. While we're both excited to shed some pounds from doing this, I suffer from ulcerative colitis and I'm highly sensitive to the crappy foods I eat (SUGAR) and need that out of my life! I have eaten clean before but never for 30 days. I want it to be a lifestyle! The brief experiences I have had with eating clean were always positive (no pain in my body and no bloating) it makes me wonder why it's not an everyday thing for me lol

If there are any other UC or Crohns sufferers out there feel free to message me! Would be nice to hear how others with an IBD are doing with this.

Good luck everyone, we got this!!

Hi Everyone!  I'm doing my first Whole30 and today is day one for me.  This was my first trip to the forum and I'm so glad I found this group! 

A little about myself...I'm 42, almost 43 (my bday falls about 2 weeks after our Whole 30 ends). I'm married with 2 boys ages 10 and 5.  I work from home which is both good and bad for Whole 30.  I'm not as tempted by office treats and eating out, but I have a kitchen right next to my office!  I have struggled with weight most of my life.  I've had weight loss successes before but always fall into bad habits.  Recently I've decided I wanted to focus on just being healthier and not so much on a number on the scale.  I've definitely noticed some health decline since I hit 40...more aches, digestive issues, and fatigue.  Hope to see some improvements there.

I've planned out a week's worth of meals and already made some standbys such as Basic Mayo and Ranch.  I'm probably most nervous about the fact that I still have food in the house that is not Whole 30 compliant since I have kids and a hubby that are not joining me.  I'm the primary cook so I can control our dinners but there's still some tempting chips and other snack items that I'm going to have to be careful with.  I've placed those in a separate area of the kitchen to help.

Looking forward to sharing and learning with this group!

Hello, I just discovered this group.. I did my Whole 30 today.  I had tried this before but failed due to my sweet tooth. I am looking forward to make this one a success and loose some extra weight..

Is there a place where I can get some Recipes????

I started today, the 15th. I was so excited to push the "finished" button on the Daily email. I'm in Italy, so it's bed time, but I just wanted to say to everyone to keep it up. I had hubby and daughter eating donuts in front of me and stood strong against it. I finished the night with some herbal tea. Good Night and WE CAN ALL DO THIS!!

Hope everyone is getting along well today. I have found that the week days are less of a challenge for me in eating healthy for meals and where I struggle the most is on weekends and after work because I don't find myself as prepared. I started the 21 day fix in December which got me on to food prepping on Sundays- super helpful! I typically make a big soup or meal for lunches, cook some sausages for breakfast and make dinner on a nightly basis. I wanted to have more variety for my Whole30, so I haven't done a tonne of food prep, but have all my meals planned out.

I just ordered a spiralizer and am SO excited to use it! Fun with veggies! Last night I made a spiralled beet salad with chicken that I took the leftovers for lunch today. I have also spiralled some sweet potato to have with leftover spaghetti sauce for dinner (this will be lunch tomorrow as well). This will help reduce things like pasta and rice.

I have such a crazy busy job that I don't even think about snacking through the day, sometimes forget to eat meals period. But, its also very stressful and that combined with forgetting to eat is where the evening binge comes in, very hungry when I get home and the easiest things to grab are crackers and cheese or things like that.

I have been following Whole30 on instagram, which I find very inspiring to see all the stories, and and the end of my work day when I was feeling hungry and crappy I had a very inspiring story show up on my feed of someone with a similar story to mine. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read before I left work. If you have instagram I HIGHYL recommend following Whole30, that one post can be exactly what we need to keep us on track in the moment.

Happy Day 1 Everyone! 

Archived