Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

Hope everyone is getting along well today. I have found that the week days are less of a challenge for me in eating healthy for meals and where I struggle the most is on weekends and after work because I don't find myself as prepared. I started the 21 day fix in December which got me on to food prepping on Sundays- super helpful! I typically make a big soup or meal for lunches, cook some sausages for breakfast and make dinner on a nightly basis. I wanted to have more variety for my Whole30, so I haven't done a tonne of food prep, but have all my meals planned out.

I just ordered a spiralizer and am SO excited to use it! Fun with veggies! Last night I made a spiralled beet salad with chicken that I took the leftovers for lunch today. I have also spiralled some sweet potato to have with leftover spaghetti sauce for dinner (this will be lunch tomorrow as well). This will help reduce things like pasta and rice.

I have such a crazy busy job that I don't even think about snacking through the day, sometimes forget to eat meals period. But, its also very stressful and that combined with forgetting to eat is where the evening binge comes in, very hungry when I get home and the easiest things to grab are crackers and cheese or things like that.

I have been following Whole30 on instagram, which I find very inspiring to see all the stories, and and the end of my work day when I was feeling hungry and crappy I had a very inspiring story show up on my feed of someone with a similar story to mine. This is EXACTLY what I needed to read before I left work. If you have instagram I HIGHYL recommend following Whole30, that one post can be exactly what we need to keep us on track in the moment.

Happy Day 1 Everyone! 

I've heard that spiralizers are fantastic! Super temped to buy one now that you've mentioned it. Have you heard of the blog Inspiralized? It's not Whole30, but the author is an expert at cooking spiralized veggies, so it might be a good resource! I love the Whole30 IG account, as well as Melissa's personal account. She is so real, I love it! @melissa_hartwig and @whole30recipes is great too.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I are starting on Feb 15 as well. We are both first timers. My husband is a little unsure of what I just got him into but he's keen to see if it helps his sleep problems and fatigue issues. Mostly he wants to be supportive of me and this is something I really feel will help me with some health concerns.

I've heard that spiralizers are fantastic! Super temped to buy one now that you've mentioned it. Have you heard of the blog Inspiralized? It's not Whole30, but the author is an expert at cooking spiralized veggies, so it might be a good resource! I love the Whole30 IG account, as well as Melissa's personal account. She is so real, I love it! @melissa_hartwig and @whole30recipes is great too.

I have heard of inspiralized!! She has some AMAZING recipes I will definitely be trying some soon! I think its a great investment

Hi everyone! I can relate to anyone saying they don't know how to cook-so this will be a challenge. Ok, I can cook as in boil water etc. but I'd just assume eat cereal. I am going to look for as many things as I can prep ahead of time as I can and just try to make this a priority. My mother was a good cook-but everything was drenched in butter and cheeses. I always said that if I ever bothered to learn-I'd want to cook healthy. So this is my chance. Looking at the recipes from the book, I can tell I need to get some spices in the house! Over the last few weeks I have been testing out some of the guidelines and skipping bread (or at least eating less) and cut way down on cheeses. Breezed through my first day--we'll see how tomorrow goes!

I've decided that I needed to push my start date back until tomorrow since I didn't have enough ingredients to start it off today. As we speak I have a double batch of the classic chili in my crockpot and a stocked fridge to get going tomorrow. I have been partially paleo for a couple of months but have had slips on the weekends as well as alcohol.

I am also battling a cigar habit (embarrassed to admit it). So I am here to stick with the whole30 100% and see what is causing the inflammation that is present (showing in the form of adult acne).

I welcome support whole heartedly!!! Let's do this :)

My official start date = 2.16.16   --> sorry I will be a day behind! 

Hi Hawk, 

Good to hear from another Buckeye!  

Day one has gone well-I had meals mostly prepped.  Learned that doing slow flow yoga in the late afternoon is going to require a snack.  Or having dinner completely ready, only requiring heating.  I was pretty "hangry" when I got home and started dinner.  

I'm sure every day will bring a new lesson.......   

Hello Everyone - It is so nice to see so many wonderful and determined people in here. As I have mentioned, this is not my first whole30. I sadly fell off the tracks after a tropical get away followed by the holiday season and need to get back on track.

Day 1 for me is done. I just about cried when I took my starting weight and photo this morning...but it will fuel my determination. I am enjoying a cup of tea right now and feeling good about having a good start to our 30 days. 

Comments:

- The spiralizer is awesome!!!

- I couldn't really cook when I started my first whole30 but I've good decent enough skills now thanks to whole30

- I have two kids 6 & 7 and at first I cooked separate meals for them and my husband. Funnily enough, every time they saw my whole30 meals, they wanted to try it and would eat most of my meals. So then I just started cooking whole30 for everyone most of the time (except for the occasional taco night/pizza night) and it works great. 

Hope everyone did well on their day 1 and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Karen :)

Hello Everyone - It is so nice to see so many wonderful and determined people in here. As I have mentioned, this is not my first whole30. I sadly fell off the tracks after a tropical get away followed by the holiday season and need to get back on track.

Day 1 for me is done. I just about cried when I took my starting weight and photo this morning...but it will fuel my determination. I am enjoying a cup of tea right now and feeling good about having a good start to our 30 days. 

Comments:

- The spiralizer is awesome!!!

- I couldn't really cook when I started my first whole30 but I've good decent enough skills now thanks to whole30

- I have two kids 6 & 7 and at first I cooked separate meals for them and my husband. Funnily enough, every time they saw my whole30 meals, they wanted to try it and would eat most of my meals. So then I just started cooking whole30 for everyone most of the time (except for the occasional taco night/pizza night) and it works great. 

Hope everyone did well on their day 1 and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Karen :)

Karen I was shocked at my weight too! The number keeps creeping up in my thoughts! I guess we'll see how in 30 days how that number has changed.

We made it through day 1!!!!! Well, almost-only an hour more to go! I started my log and made my first entry. Did anyone else use the log section in this forum? I almost had an accidental slip-up! I was planning to make spicy tuna cakes for a meal today and I pull out a can of chicken of the sea and just glanced at the ingredients. Lo and behold one of the ingredients is soy! I was freaking out that already my plans were failing! Thank goodness hubby decided to run some errands for me and got a can of tuna that was whole30 compliant! So people if you're going to use canned tuna make sure to read the label because a LOT of them contain soy!

Other than that I had a pretty decent day. It's all cataloged in my log titled "Naz's First Whole30 Log". I hope everyone else had a good day 1 and now onto day 2!

Good luck everyone!

Yep, the number on the scale this morning was upsetting for me too :o  I'm actually glad that I don't get to weigh for a whole month. My rings are all tight too, which makes me almost as cranky as tight jeans!

My day went pretty well. I knew I would be out and about most of the afternoon, so took lunch with me in a cooler, since I wasn't hungry enough to eat it at noon. And I didn't end up getting home until 6:30pm so I'm glad I was prepared. This morning I made some deviled eggs and tomorrow morning will make some salmon patties, so we have some easy to grab stuff around.

My husband is doing this along with me, he's not exactly enthusiastic but is supportive. All day yesterday he was asking me what he could and couldn't eat. All was well until sometime in the evening when I told him he couldn't eat ketchup...he LOVES ketchup!! We could be eating perfectly grilled filet mignon and he will drown it in ketchup! He turned to me and said "we have a problem". So, I may have to whip up some compliant ketchup tomorrow!

A no-scale victory for me today: I had some rooibos tea with a dollop of coconut cream this morning and it tasted well, like nothing. Bummer. I miss my stevia. Later this afternoon I met a friend for tea/ coffee and I again had rooibos. It tasted super yummy to me! Now, I'm not saying my taste buds have changed already, but I'm feeling good about this. Gotta take the good where I can find it.

Our 26 yo daughter was over for dinner this evening (crock pot chicken and carrots, Yukon Gold potatoes- oven roasted with olive oil and spices, sautéed snow peas, avocado, and blueberries. I tried to convince her to join us but she said she'll wait and see how we fare. She's afraid she couldn't afford it...

I'd like to share a recipe from thehealthygflife.com for Make Ahead Breakfast Sausage (easy and yummy):

3# ground meat (I used beef, bison and pork)

2 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

1 tsp parsley

1/2 tsp coriander

1 tsp rosemary

1 tsp marjoram

1 tsp sage

1/2 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I will increase this next batch)

1/4 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredients together with hands.

Shape into 2 1/2 inch patties.

Cover tray with foil and freeze until fully frozen.

Put patties in freezer bag and freeze until needed.

To cook, heat in skillet in 1 Tbs of coconut oil; cook for 5 minutes, turn and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.

Here's to a terrific day 2!!

We made it through day 1!!!!! Well, almost-only an hour more to go! I started my log and made my first entry. Did anyone else use the log section in this forum?

I am not using the log available here, but I did create an Instagram account. It took a lot of courage for me to make it public. I know its dumb but I am sooooo self conscious and I don't want anyone I know to see it. THAT is one of the things I hope this journey can change for me. I just want to be comfortable in my own skin. If anyone wants to follow me there you can (YIKES) the user name is  _a_glimpse_of_me_

Hi!

I am starting on the 16th! Can I join you guys? :) I am quite nervous as in 33 days I am travelling to Cuba for 2 weeks and I am afraid I might ruin all my efforts! anybody in a similar situation? I would like to start being as positive as possible!

Some people follow their Whole30 right up until they start eating holiday food, or stay Whole30 compliant (this can be hard in a country where you don't know the language). Just keep in mind that you if you do this and you have a reaction, you may have a less than stellar holiday. If you skip Reintroductions and you have a reaction, you may not be able to identify what caused it. You have a few different options that might be hard to assess right now, but you could consider it a practice run before doing full Reintroductions or stop early and do some Reintroductions before your trip. Either way, we want to hear all about your trip to Cuba! :D

If there are any other UC or Crohns sufferers out there feel free to message me! Would be nice to hear how others with an IBD are doing with this.

For anyone with a particular medical condition, you will probably find posts from others with similar issues who have done a Whole30. I really recommend keeping a food/exercise/how-you're-feeling log so you can really see all the changes and discuss with your doctor if you need to. Make sure your doctor knows you're changing what you're eating.

Is there a place where I can get some Recipes????

http://meljoulwan.com is my favourite (2 cookbooks, Well Fed & Well Fed 2) - so many free recipes on her website and almost all of them are Whole30. I'm in Australia and find Mel's recipes are practical with the ingredients I have, I think only a few recipes with a Penzey's spice mix I haven't been able to make. I also really like how not-fussy her recipes tend to be. In the cookbooks there's also great variations (my only tip is don't lend them, you won't get them back!) :)

Today is also my start day!  Is anyone here a vegetarian, or pescatarian?

If you need any help, there is a special area on the forum :)

I am also battling a cigar habit (embarrassed to admit it). So I am here to stick with the whole30 100% and see what is causing the inflammation that is present (showing in the form of adult acne).

If you can kick your cigars for the full 30 days you could also reintroduce those and see just bad they are, or just kick them altogether ;) tobacco smoking is a known cause of inflammation

Learned that doing slow flow yoga in the late afternoon is going to require a snack.  Or having dinner completely ready, only requiring heating.  I was pretty "hangry" when I got home and started dinner.  

If you haven't read the Meal Template PDF, it has the Pre & Post Workout info on there as well. Exercise means extra food :)

Day one almost done.  Only crappy thing for me is that I am starting a graveyard shift. Mad munchies happen on graveyard shifts!

You'll find lots of great tips from shift workers. Quite a few people have issues with meal timing, so pack some extra compliant snacks or even an extra meal and you've got all your situations covered :)

Did anyone else use the log section in this forum?

Anyone who wants their own log, see the instructions in my signature :) Some people like to link theirs in their sig, others like to just keep it in the log section. If you're worried you'll lose it you might want to bookmark the link.

My husband is doing this along with me, he's not exactly enthusiastic but is supportive. All day yesterday he was asking me what he could and couldn't eat. All was well until sometime in the evening when I told him he couldn't eat ketchup...he LOVES ketchup!! We could be eating perfectly grilled filet mignon and he will drown it in ketchup! He turned to me and said "we have a problem". So, I may have to whip up some compliant ketchup tomorrow!

There are very few compliant ketchups already made, but Tessemae has one if you're worried you can't keep cooking enough for his ketchup habit ;)

http://www.tessemaes.com/products/ketchup-10-oz - not everything from Tessemae is compliant, so always read the ingredients.

Hi all! This is day one for me. 

I had a great time grocery shopping and meal prepping yesterday- I treated myself to a trip to the biggest Whole Foods in the area, and took a taxi back to my apartment. The bill was HUGE, but I was able to find a few compliant things that are hard to locate elsewhere, and I feel really prepared for the next few days. I had a nice chat with the butcher, and got a case of la croix. Most of my shopping trips will be at the regular grocery store moving forward, except for some coconut aminos, meat and fish.

Prepping wasn't too bad- I have one of those veggie choppers, so you can cut up everything quickly (it usually takes me forever to chop veggies!)

Just put a cacao and coffee crusted pot roast in the crock pot. I'll let you know how the recipe goes. For folks new to cooking, slow cooker recipes are usually super simple, with great results and lots of leftovers.

High fives all around for everyone for completing their first day! Walk with you head held high- you're putting yourself first, and you've got to enjoy it! When you're proud of where you are headed, your energy with shine through!

Hi all!

I started my whole30 yesterday too! Hoping it will help with my low energy levels and help tame my sugar dragon!

Food is yummy so far, although I have struggled eating a full meal for breakfast, especially within an hour of waking up! I am mostly following the 7 day meal plan in the book this week, its a lot of prep work but very tasty.

I am also quitting smoking as well, which I have done before but I am missing chewing gum this time, any whole30 approved tips would be much appreciated!

Lisa

Hi, everyone. This is my second attempt at a Whole 30. I made it to about day 14 two years ago. This time I've recruited my husband and we've really prepped and we're IN. We, too, started on Feb 15th. 

Yesterday (Day One) was pretty good. I ate plenty and I ate well, but it's still a fair drop in calories from what I'd been doing so I'm hungry. I know that will level off in a few days. 

- Leslie

• Moderators

Hi, everyone. This is my second attempt at a Whole 30. I made it to about day 14 two years ago. This time I've recruited my husband and we've really prepped and we're IN. We, too, started on Feb 15th.

Yesterday (Day One) was pretty good. I ate plenty and I ate well, but it's still a fair drop in calories from what I'd been doing so I'm hungry. I know that will level off in a few days.

- Leslie

Don't think in terms of calories. Follow the meal template (linked in my signature below), and if you're truly hungry, eat at the higher end of the ranges in the template or even more than that if necessary. Many people think they're following the template but in reality they are so used to restricting calories or fat grams or carbs that they end up not eating enough. If you want to make sure you're on the right track, feel free to post your meals, including approximate portion sizes, as well as water intake and exercise, and we can give you some feedback.

I'm not particularly a calorie counter, and one of the things I love about Whole30 is that we don't. (I've never been good at it.) That said, I was easily eating 3000 calories of mostly empty carbs on most days, and I've done stuff like this enough to know there's going to be some discomfort in the first few days of transition. 

Archived