Breakfast at Mimi's Cafe- EVERY SUNDAY

Tenpoundbaby

Just finished the book.  Picked a date to start and have started working on my pantry.

Now I'm trying to figure out Sunday breakfasts at Mimi's Cafe!  Me and my two kids meet my father and 94 year old grandpa there each Sunday morning (only time we see them.)  

I've looked at the menu, but want to be SURE I do this right- can anyone make any recommendations?

• Moderators

You're going to have to talk to them about cooking oils and ingredients. You can have eggs poached, or if you confirm that they don't cook them in butter or a non-compliant oil like soybean oil, you could have them fried. You could ask them about scrambled eggs as well -- as long as they just use the eggs and don't add anything to them, it would be okay, but many restaurants add milk or even pancake batter to make the scrambled eggs taste better.

You'd have to ask about ingredients in any sausage or bacon -- there's almost always at least sugar in them. They offer a steak and egg breakfast -- you'd have to have them leave off the butter, and you'd have to confirm what the steak was marinated in and what oil it's cooked in. Same for something like herb-roasted potatoes -- they sound safe, but you have to find out what seasonings are used and what they're cooked in.

Your best bet is to call them before the weekend, during an off time when they're not too busy, and discuss what you need with them.

Another option would be to eat your breakfast before you go and have coffee or maybe some fruit while you're there (even with fruit, confirm there's not canned fruit in syrup or any kind of sweetener added). You're really not doing it for the food anyway, right? It's about spending time with your family.

Ok...I was just crossing my fingers that someone else had breakfast experience at Mimi's that they could share.  I'll have to make that phone call. :)

We go quite early in the morning, so breakfast before would make for an intense morning.  Coffee and fruit sounds like a great option for me- now to figure it out for the 2 and 6 year old!

• Moderators

Ok...I was just crossing my fingers that someone else had breakfast experience at Mimi's that they could share.  I'll have to make that phone call. :)

We go quite early in the morning, so breakfast before would make for an intense morning.  Coffee and fruit sounds like a great option for me- now to figure it out for the 2 and 6 year old!

Obviously, it's up to you what you want them to do, but keep in mind that some people have more relaxed rules for their kids. Obviously, if they have known sensitivities or allergies, you'll want to take that into consideration, but if not, and you decide to let them have scrambled eggs and toast at a restaurant once a week, it's not Whole30, but it's probably not the end of the world, although, again, you're the one who knows what your goals with them are and what's most important for their health and well being. I don't have kids of my own, so definitely take my parenting advice with a grain of salt.  :)

Archived