Day 16, Not much has changed

cbduke

Hello all!

I'm at Day 16, and a little frustrated by lack of change.

Days 2-5 I had headaches from sugar withdrawal.  Since then, I really haven't seen anything different. I get about 8 hours of solid sleep a night (I've always done this though). I eat three good-size meals per day, and I'm not hungry for snacks or really craving anything - and I really haven't had ANY cravings the whole time. My energy level hasn't changed - I still feel tired during the day. I do a low impact pilates workout every other day.

I'm committed to see this through to the end, but if anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it!

Here's what I've eaten the past few days:

Today

B - scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit

L - stir fry (lots of veggies, chicken)

D - stuffed peppers (lots of veggies, ground beef)

Monday

B - 3 egg frittata, veggies, ground pork, 1/2 avocado

L - same stir fry

snack - Larabar

D - same stuffed peppers

Sunday

B - fruit/almond butter smoothie

L - steak and scrambled eggs with spinach

D - same stir fry, 1/2 avocado

• Moderators

Are you adding fat to each of your meals? I only see it listed in some of them. Don't be afraid to add some in addition to your cooking fat, since sometimes the cooking fat stays in the pan and isn't consumed.

We'd encourage you to have 1-3 cups of vegetables at every meal, even breakfast.

The smoothie is definitely not an ideal meal, especially first thing in the morning -- it's going to cause a spike in blood sugar, and may cause you to be hungrier and have more cravings throughout the day. Additionally, it's really better to chew your food -- you don't get the same satiety signals when you drink your food, so it's much easier to consume a lot more than you would if you were eating.

Are you drinking plenty of water? The usual recommendation is 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, aim for at least 60 oz of water per day.

You say your workout is low impact, but if you're feeling tired, you might go ahead and play with a post-workout of some lean protein and (optionally) starchy vegetable, just a few bites, not necessarily a full meal's worth. Many people like grilled chicken and sweet potato for this, but any lean protein and starchy vegetable will work.

Being tired can also be impacted by stress levels and by how restful your sleep really is -- if it's eight hours of tossing and turning and not really getting good deep sleep, that won't be as restful.

In addition to Shannon's feedback, drop the lara bar for a snack. If you're genuinely hungry between meals, have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.

Also, are you having a fist-sized serving of carb-dense vegetables daily?

thanks Shannon! I'll try to tighten up on the veggie amount.  I may not be getting enough fat with each meal - like you said, it's probably staying in the pan. I'll also try a small post-workout meal.

I definitely drink enough water, and I am sleeping soundly.  

Chris - no, not eating carb-dense veggies every day. Thanks for pointing that out!

Archived