Going to try this again

LivelyLady

I did a very successful W30 in January. Stayed totally on plan, though I did have SWMPO a few times with some Lara bars. I learned during that time that I can't have coconut butter or almond butter in the house becasue I'll over do it. Overall I learned a lot about myself and was pleased. It didn't feel hard to me during January.

Since then, things have been a whole different story. I had several stops and starts trying to do another W30 in March and for some reason kept falling off the wagon. I've had several sugar binges even though I KNOW how awful it makes me feel. I have celiac so I never ever do gluten and even on the sugar binges, didn't opt for grain-based gluten free treats. Usually it was ice cream and snickers. I'm so frustrated by this cycle of doing well for a few days then for whatever reason finding myself getting ice cream and snickers at the store. I don't have any non-whole 30 foods kept in my house, so it's not like I'm making "paleo treats" or anything.

Anyway, I'm really hoping for this to be day 1 of 30, and not day 1 of 5 or 10 or 12 like it has been lately. I really need another re-set and to get out of this cycle I find myself in. Thanks for listening. :)

Jess

For me the whole30 is all about breaking those cycles and providing the reset you're looking for but you have to dive right in and commit. Read my "about me" and see how I kept sabotaging my own efforts. You can do this! Let us know how we can help.

Welcome back, Jess. You may find this recent post of ours helpful: http://whole9life.com/2012/03/change-your-habits-part-1-the-cue/

You don't "somehow" find yourself at the store, picking up junk food - there are cues that precede each one of those trips. The key is identifying the cues, so you can plan and prepare to combat them. It's not easy to spot them - but by following our one-week protocol, you should be able to figure out what's driving you to that place, and then identify ways to avoid that behavior, or implement an appropriate substitute (do something else, instead of eating candy or ice cream). Hope that helps.

Melissa

I know he's not a big fan of paleo but I found Tom Venuto's book a huge help when I was starting my weight loss journey in regard to emotional eating & getting in the right head space. You can just skip his nutritional guidelines ;)

I have rec'd it to many people & they have all come back with great comments too.

51oXKHTjKRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Thanks for the replies you guys, I appreciate it. Of course you are all correct. The self sabotage is even worse after doing my first W30 because I KNOW how awful I feel after I eat sugar and yet I kept doing it. And after this past Sunday, I realized that not only does it make me feel physically awful for two days, but mentally as well. I was depressed and I'm NOT a depressed kind of person. I realized that the previous weekend when I indulged too. So for Monday and Tuesday I walked around in this grumpy depressed bloated daze. WTF? I do think that realization was the turning point to getting this W30 to stick. I can just feel it. I hate that I have to learn the same lessons a few times over but I guess that's the human experience. Thanks agian for the reply, the support, and offering the forum. It's so nice to have this space. I stopped commenting on the FB page because it showed up in all my friend's feeds and I don't really need them to know the ins and outs of everything I put in my mouth.

Archived