Grain issues?

ach324

Does anyone have any thoughts about what side effects I should be looking out for with gluten and non gluten grains? I already know I likely have a dairy sensitivity since I had a bad one when I was a kid, so I'm expecting to have some super fun toilet time after that day (lol sry tmi) and possibly some gas with beans (as the funny children's song suggests.) However, one thing I've noticed for a while is that if I have a meal with a lot of carbs in it (esp if it's during the day)-- whether that's potatoes, rice, or pasta-- I sometimes feel a bit tired after. But is that really a sign of sensitivity or is that proof that carbs aren't great energy source even if your stomach can tolerate it? I mean, bread has basically no protein or fat in it, so it's more or less just empty calories. What things would I be feeling if I were truly intolerant/sensitive to grains and not just a normal healthy human who needs protein for energy instead of starchy carbs.

And BTW I'm definitely not looking for an excuse to add grains back into my regular diet. I plan to eat at least 90% whole30 compliant after the reintro is over except for the very occasional special dinner out (birthdays, holidays, celebrations etc) and during travel. A tummy ache from the world's best gelato in Florence? Worth it. Grocery store cake that someone brings into the office for a coworker's bday? Defffinitely not worth it  ;)

Thanks!

Gluten makes me so ill. Bloating, diarrhoea, trapped wind, abdominal pains. Rice does similar, but not quite as severe. Rice is occasionally worth it, gluten never ever worth it.

I seem to be okay with oats and corn, though I feel better when I eat neither so don't include them in my regular diet.

• Moderators

It is not helpful to be looking for specific symptoms. The point of a reintroduction is to see how you respond. Different bodies have different reactions. Don't try to put a round peg in a square hole. Just look for any change from how you were feeling when you were abstinent. 

That is a good point, and I totally understand that people might have different symptoms! Just curious what common ones so I know what to pay attention to. I didn't feel exactly the same during my whole30 of course, so I might not feel exactly the same during reintro, particularly if I don't feel something until 1 or 2 days later. If I get a headache a couple hours or even a day after eating grains, is it because of the grains or is just because sometimes people get headaches? I didn't get any headaches during whole30 but obviously sometimes you just get them for no rhyme or reason.

I guess this is why it is important to do a reintro after every whole30 round, to see how thingsa re different. is it possible to do 2 reintros for the same round? I'm thinking of it kinda like how one might get a 2nd opinion from a 2nd doctor.

• Moderators

is it possible to do 2 reintros for the same round? I'm thinking of it kinda like how one might get a 2nd opinion from a 2nd doctor.

You could, if you wanted to -- do all the reintros through the first time, eat Whole30 style for a few days, and then do them all again. Or only the ones you have questions about -- if dairy makes you miserable the first go-round, I probably wouldn't do it a second time.

Or you can break your reintroductions down even more if you want. Some people try cow's milk dairy one day, then wait a few days, then do goats' milk or sheeps' milk dairy products on their own days, or they may check the lactose content of different products and do a day of lower lactose products (lactaid milk, some cheeses), and a day of higher lactose products. Or a day of oatmeal, wait a few days, a day of rice, rather than all the non-gluten grains on one day. It all depends on what things you want to know about and how much time you're willing to spend on reintroductions.

yeah introducing dairies separately is a good idea. maybe goat based products the first day, wait a couple days, then do cow's based products. goat has less lactose so i imagine that'll be less of an issue. prob should have the one i'm most worried about for last! i've never eaten sheep's milk/cheese and i can't see myself ever doing so, don't love the taste. 

depending on how the rest of reintro goes, I might take your advice and take a week off and then repeat some of the ones I'm not sure about. Today I did nongluten grains and honestly I felt fine physically but emotionally there was definitely the urge to keep eating because I think I was just so excited to be having grains after not having them so long-- it was like forbidden fruit, almost as if I were 16 and trying a cigarette for the first time if that makes sense. Plus I think the GF bread and GF pasta took up too much of my meals, leaving me with less room for protein and veggies. Because I wasn't following the template closely enough, I ended up filling up on the empty calories from the GF grains which gave me a lot less energy.

SO I'd like to do it again and really be conscientious of this fact, and only do a little bit of each at each meal. a small bowl of GF oatmeal with my scrambled eggs at breakfast, 1/2 a scoop of rice with a big chicken/veggie stir fry at lunch, 1/2 a cup or so of GF pasta with lotsa ground beef and veggies at dinner. Do you think that'd work?

• Moderators

yeah introducing dairies separately is a good idea. maybe goat based products the first day, wait a couple days, then do cow's based products. goat has less lactose so i imagine that'll be less of an issue. prob should have the one i'm most worried about for last! i've never eaten sheep's milk/cheese and i can't see myself ever doing so, don't love the taste. 

depending on how the rest of reintro goes, I might take your advice and take a week off and then repeat some of the ones I'm not sure about. Today I did nongluten grains and honestly I felt fine physically but emotionally there was definitely the urge to keep eating because I think I was just so excited to be having grains after not having them so long-- it was like forbidden fruit, almost as if I were 16 and trying a cigarette for the first time if that makes sense. Plus I think the GF bread and GF pasta took up too much of my meals, leaving me with less room for protein and veggies. Because I wasn't following the template closely enough, I ended up filling up on the empty calories from the GF grains which gave me a lot less energy.

SO I'd like to do it again and really be conscientious of this fact, and only do a little bit of each at each meal. a small bowl of GF oatmeal with my scrambled eggs at breakfast, 1/2 a scoop of rice with a big chicken/veggie stir fry at lunch, 1/2 a cup or so of GF pasta with lotsa ground beef and veggies at dinner. Do you think that'd work?

That sounds like a good plan. Many people have trouble figuring out how to work the stuff they're reintroducing into template-style meals, your idea sounds like a good way to do it.

Archived